Dark of the Moon The 'Transformers 3' Box Office Prediction Thread

Deadline reports that Paramount's pre-cogs see TF opening with 150 over 5 days.
which means a 3 day in really low hundreds if they're lucky.

a so so number given the franchise.

Maybe the haters have been right, maybe a lot of people have been turned sour or have been told to turn sour by way of public conversation, but I'm very curious to finally see these numbers. It would be interesting if the best of the trilogy performs the worst.

I do think the marketing isn't doing anything for already jaded and a 5 day opening does nothing but diffuse your number especially if your not the sort of franchise that has people dress up and camp out side for days in advance. I think like Dark Kinght, they should have put everything they had into a 3 day weekend and let word of mouth carry out the rest of the five days. And their marketing should have been showing what's new about this installment as opposed to the bigger (clearer) but familiar spectacle.

ie a good chunk of the potential audience don't even know about the sentinel prime character voiced by nimoy, they don't know about Dylan...What they are being told is that chicago is ground zero and there's a ship of dead robots on the moon.

What I do anticipate is that word of mouth is going to be golden, for no other reason than this being better than the last as well as all the stuff the trailer didn't mention. That being said I do think Paramount is setting themselves up for a so so opening.

What I also know is that every time this trailer plays, a new convert is found, it's very grabbing and given the other june(and may) releases, this might just be the ticket the audience needs to bring them back to exciting times, especially if the 3D is zeitgeist levels of good.

I'm very curious indeed.

Last edited:
Well, I'm just dumbfounded at what people will pay for at the box office. They reject an equally crappy movie in Green Lantern, yet pay through the nose to sit through this.

Here's hoping Transformers 4 comes with a new director and a reboot.

it will......both Bay and Shia said this is their last one

Most people who dont know Green Lantern thought the movie just looked stupid and lame by the trailers. Transformers on the other hand especially with their trailers had everyone going that looks awesome. Plus Transformers is already proven with the previous two with being accepted by audiences. Green Lantern wasnt. It was a gamble. I really think the marketing killed it for GL and then the low reviews and word of mouth confirmed people suspicions.

I hope this movie makes all the money in the world so the haters will shut the hell up

Well, I'm just dumbfounded at what people will pay for at the box office. They reject an equally crappy movie in Green Lantern, yet pay through the nose to sit through this.

Here's hoping Transformers 4 comes with a new director and a reboot.

I didn't go watch Green Lantern because it's more of the same. Another damn Superhero film. The average movie-goer can only see so many of these films a year.. and you have to be special to make the cut.

On the other hand, Transformers is a very unique experience. There aren't too many 25-foot robots fighting on screen and then transforming into vehicles.. flawlessly.

Obviously the general audience agrees with me on both points.

I saw both and was entertained by TF3....Green Lantern could have used another draft on the script

I hope this movie makes all the money in the world so the haters will shut the hell up

Well I hope it makes a lot of money so Paramount is forced to make a TF4.

We're going to get a Bay-less and Shia-less Transformers movie regardless. But I'd prefer it be in the same continuity as the first 3. Even if it's completely different in every other way.

Oh there will be a TF4

I'm not sure what your point is, BO is never an indication of the quality of a film. Everyone already knew this was gonna make a sizeable amount of money, regardless of how good it is.

to further showcase the disconnect between the reviewers and the General Audience

Domestically I don't see DOTM making as much as ROTF, could be wrong but I don't see it happening.

416 million worldwide in its first week. 181 Domestic. Bring on Transformers 4!

I'm not sure what your point is, BO is never an indication of the quality of a film. Everyone already knew this was gonna make a sizeable amount of money, regardless of how good it is.

Very true, and while this one had a huge jump start, I expect a 60-65% dropoff to week 2.

But a 60% dropoff from $181 is still big cash. It's second weekend it will still be making more than most of the films this summer opened with.

looks like another billion dollar movie.That will make 3 this year,not bad

416 million worldwide in its first week. 181 Domestic. Bring on Transformers 4!

I'm certain there are meetings being held between Hasbro and Paramount as we speak. And they start with, "To Hell with Bay and Shia, we can find someone else."

I bet they offer Bay and Shia a deal in which they won't refuse. If they do, then I will be shocked. The next movie may take 3 years instead of 2 but I bet Bay and Shia come back. I will be wholly shocked if they don't.

the paycheck got Bay to make a 3D movie when he didnt care about 3D in 2009. so if money can get Bay to make a a movie with a DIGITAL camera then i think they can pay him to direct the fourth movie. but i hope that Paramount understands that a cheaper director would be the best for the fourth movie. i think you can not have worse editing then in TF3 and TF2. so a cheaper director would be the best for teh fans and Paramount.

Neil Blomkamp for TF4.

Imagine what he could do with a 200 million dollar budget! But I think Blomkamp wants to "create" his own movie-verses.

Jon Favreau, tho, isn't a bad choice to continue the series. His IronMan movies had a similar tone/look to the Transformers trilogy.

I really hope they go with a new director. I'd like to watch a non-action scene without going "WTF?" the entire time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"