Trick or Treating Controversy

Thundercrack85

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ome_to_trick_or_treat_in_my_neighborhood.html

I have to admit, I find this pretty interesting.

I once had this happen at my neighborhood where a van pulled up full of kids and teenagers, who were clearly not from the neighborhood, or even from a 10 mile radius. This happened against the next year only with several vans, and someone even had their home burglarized. Needless to say, the next year, police and the neighborhood watch were patrolling the neighborhood.

I have mixed feelings on this one.

On the one hand, I feel bad for poor kids who can't trick or treat in their own neighborhoods. And I'm certainly not going to not give kids candy because they live on the wrong side of the tracks.

On the other hand, parents busing their kids out to certain neighborhoods just to get candy does feel rather unneighborly. It seems almost exploitive.

Any thoughts?

i personally hate those who drive into my neighborhood to trick or treat. I am all for giving out candy to those in my area but I hate having to give out said candy from those on the other side of town. I only buy so much and I just think it is not fair to those in my neighborhood.

I live in an apartment complex so I kind of have to take my kids to other neighborhoods. Usually we either go to the one my aunt lives in, or my parents neighborhood, so we don't just pick at random and go.

Evidentially you're an awful imposition. Only a select few are worthy of candy treats :o

The woman who wrote the letter doesn't sound believable to me. I think it was someone playing a role.

To the point: whether the kids are from your neighborhood or not, just give them candy. Who wants to micromanage their generosity on Halloween?

Yeah, if it's such a hassle than don't give out candy, you're obviously missing the point of it.

I made the mistake of taking acid one Halloween. Never again. Goblins and witches ringing my doorbell. I spent the whole night hiding behind the sofa.

don't get me wrong it really does not bother me that much but when I start running out of stuff and there are still tons of kids out there I feel bad that they all cannot get it because of all the extra kids that live on the other side of town. one year I bought like 4 of 5 bags of candy big bags mind you and even with one per kid sometimes 2 we got hit with so many that we ran out and it was not even dark yet and I could not get away to get more cause any stores worth going to were either A: too far away or B: out of it already. It was just so much easier when the kids who came to our house was kids I knew as they lived near by and went to our school. I am not some mean person that thinks my candy is to good for non local kids it is just cause we get so many non locals it makes it harder for the local kids that is all. I am a caring/sharing kinda guy but when they are driving 10/15 miles from where they live to my neck of the woods it is just a MINOR (emphasis on the word minor) annoyance.

It should be for your neighbours.

We never had it in England. Then kids and parents got the idea from American TV and films. We used to just have penny for the guy on November 5th.

It hasn't been an issue since I moved. Ironically, to a slightly nicer neighborhood.

But I will say that if they just drive from neighborhood to neighborhood, that does seem rather like they're just taking advantage of people.

It is supposed to be quid pro quo. I.e. I give your kids candy, you give mine candy, everyone gets candy.

Don't think it's that big of a deal.
First of all: Unless youre really close with all your neighbors do you really know which kids are the ones who are bussed in

Second: It's not that big of a deal if you run out of candy. It's not like youre hoarding it all youre still giving it out to kids. Who cares where theyre from as long as their respectful and in, at least an attempt of, a costume.

Third: Of all the candy most kids get out Halloween, they only need about 1/4 of it. Not getting candy from a few houses isnt gonna hurt much

Fourth: I dontt see how it's a bad thing to help kids celebrate/experience trick or treating. I will say it is kinda messed up if a kid lives in a fine neighborhood and the parents drive him/her to different neighborhoods just to get the kid more and more candy, but even that isnt a big deal.
Should a kid not experience the standard trick or treating because he/she lives in an apartment complex or lives in a bad neighborhood?

At the end of a day it is just handing out candy to kids. I dont think it's that big of a deao

This just seems this "controversy" just came about because bored housewives wanted something to complain about

My philosophy has always been simple.

Get candy. Leave front light on. Pass candy out to trick-r-treat'rs. Run out of candy. Turn front light off.

Notice how "where the children come from" doesn't factor in at all?

I don't see how that really matters.

How would you even know if those kids trick r treating are from the "other side of town"?

The person who wrote that letter sounds like a real piece of ****. The ****head is annoyed that in addition to paying taxes for social services he/she now has to begrudgingly give candy to the poor children too. What a loser.

well I lived in the same house for 10/12 years so I know who for the most part they are and some of them had out of state plates I live in the north west part of NY right near the NY/PA border. but since I work nights anyways I cant even do Halloween anymore I have not done the handing out of candy since 2011 :(.

I made the mistake of taking acid one Halloween. Never again. Goblins and witches ringing my doorbell. I spent the whole night hiding behind the sofa.

Sounds like someone shoulda shroomed instead :hehe::grin:

I thought this was about those old Halloween myths about razor blades in the candy.

Well, back in my day, we had to walk to the other neighborhoods for our candy.

Kids these days are getting lazy.

If you're willing to walk for 2 hours to get some candy, you deserve it!

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ome_to_trick_or_treat_in_my_neighborhood.html

I have to admit, I find this pretty interesting.

I once had this happen at my neighborhood where a van pulled up full of kids and teenagers, who were clearly not from the neighborhood, or even from a 10 mile radius. This happened against the next year only with several vans, and someone even had their home burglarized. Needless to say, the next year, police and the neighborhood watch were patrolling the neighborhood.

I have mixed feelings on this one.

On the one hand, I feel bad for poor kids who can't trick or treat in their own neighborhoods. And I'm certainly not going to not give kids candy because they live on the wrong side of the tracks.

On the other hand, parents busing their kids out to certain neighborhoods just to get candy does feel rather unneighborly. It seems almost exploitive.

Any thoughts?

I thought this was what everyone did. :huh: Everyone in my neighboring three counties and as far as I know my whole state drive their kids around to various neighborhoods for trick or treating. It's been that way since I was little. And I know people used to walk beyond their neighborhoods.

Besides it's just candy. Who cares where the kids come from to get it? I don't buy candy just for the kids in my neighborhood, and it's first come first serve. Tho I do save candy for my niece and young cousins just in case they are late getting to my house.

My philosophy has always been simple.

Get candy. Leave front light on. Pass candy out to trick-r-treat'rs. Run out of candy. Turn front light off.

Notice how "where the children come from" doesn't factor in at all?

I don't see how that really matters.

This.

Last edited:
I thought this was about those old Halloween myths about razor blades in the candy.

I know, I thought it would be something cool. Disappointing to see that it's just another case of first world problems :o

I live in a small city that is quite wealthy. I think the average household income is over $100k, so all of the neighbourhoods are good ones to go to. We always bought a good sized amount of candy to hand out because most neighbourhoods are within walking distance. There were always the kids that would walk further to where the hockey players lived because they had better candy, but any kid would be happy with the neighbourhood they were trick or treating in. I have never seen vans of kids from the big city come here for candy and it is surprising, but my city is a fair drive away from any low income neighbourhood, so maybe that's why.

My philosophy is to buy a lot of candy and when it runs out it runs out. There are plenty of other places to get candy from. I won't say no to a kid just because they were from a different neighbourhood and really, who would know?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"