Trick or Treating Controversy

I know, I thought it would be something cool. Disappointing to see that it's just another case of first world problems :o
It's not even that it's a first world problem. It's a "I'm rich and entitled" problem where kids who aren't up to standard dare ring the doorbell asking for some candy.

Those filthy criminals. Probably just casing the streets looking for the best houses to break into.

It's really sad she thinks she has an argument to stand on. Aside from the fact she thinks she's entitled to claim who can or can't go in her neighborhood, and the fact she's too cheap to spend an extra 20 bucks on some less fortunate kids, I hope she knows she has every right to not participate in the event at all. Just shut the lights and put a sign on the door, and her "problem" is solved.

I'm curious to know how she was able to distinguish the "rich" kids from the "poor" ones, because we all know the "rich" kids all dress in $6000 costumes :o.

I'd also like to point out this is what a real case of "checking your privilege" looks like, unlike the ones unfairly thrown around all the time on the internet at people who don't deserve it. And ironically, it has nothing to with her race or gender or class and everything to do with who she is as a person.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ome_to_trick_or_treat_in_my_neighborhood.html

I have to admit, I find this pretty interesting.

I once had this happen at my neighborhood where a van pulled up full of kids and teenagers, who were clearly not from the neighborhood, or even from a 10 mile radius. This happened against the next year only with several vans, and someone even had their home burglarized. Needless to say, the next year, police and the neighborhood watch were patrolling the neighborhood.

I have mixed feelings on this one.

On the one hand, I feel bad for poor kids who can't trick or treat in their own neighborhoods. And I'm certainly not going to not give kids candy because they live on the wrong side of the tracks.

On the other hand, parents busing their kids out to certain neighborhoods just to get candy does feel rather unneighborly. It seems almost exploitive.

Any thoughts?

Eh, I didn't know this was actually a problem. We did it all of the time as a kid, but that was because where we lived, the neighbors were far and few in between, like 3 miles apart. So, we would either go to the malls where each store had candy, or to a festival, or we would go to neighborhoods that were actually set up for everyone to come and see. A neighborhood out in Wellington has become famous for the set up, and they actually encourage people to come by for treats and tricks.

in the words of BUGS BUNNY.... this is a Problem!!!
man! just pass out candy to whomever and when its gone!!... it's gone!!
Hahahahaha! People are playing Halloween Gods and determining who's worthy of candy and who's not!! ITS CANDY!!..not medicine vaccines!
and the way stuff is now who goes to anybody's house anymore anyway! alot of crazy people have ruin what use to be a cool thing!
this is why we cant have nice things!
Geez....Us humans make ^&*( waaay more complicated than it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"