• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Typecasting

ANTHONYNASTI said:
I didn't see Unbreakable.

Yes I knew I was forgetting something. He was very good in that and didn't play the same role and Caveman's Valentine.

Yeah, I'll watch it some time. Not on my must - see list, though.

Ben Urich said:
Liam Neeson: mentor (Batman Begins, Star Wars, Kingdom of Heaven [I never saw this but I'm pretty sure he was a mentor to Orlando Bloom])
Yeah, also Gangs of New York and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Maybe Kinsey too.

SPIDER-MAN-ROX said:
Stephen Segal typecast as a cop in almost every movie he's been in.
And he's always ex-something.

Malcolm McDowell plays always the lunatic/crazy bad guy.

-Robert DeNiro always plays a mobster

-Al Pacino always plays a mobster

-Frank Welker always wind up doing animal voices

-Tom Cruise always plays, well... Tom Cruise

-Jessica Alba always play the annoying, tough-but-lovable chick

-Laurence Fishburne always imitates Samuel L. Jackson in everything he does

-Bruce Willis is mostly cast as an action hero or an otherwise tough character

-Clint Eastwood was typecast as the action hero badass when he was young, now he's typecast as the grizzled, tough-as-nails veteran

-R. Lee Ermey always plays someone that's either in the army or the Marine Corps

-Harvey Keitel always plays a crooked person

-Gary Oldman always plays someone who is either a bad guy, or a good guy assumed to be evil by the main characters

-Mel Gibson always plays Mel Gibson

-Martin Lawrence always plays the funny, noisy black guy

-Eddie Murphy plays either a less annoying version of Martin Lawrence, or the wise-but-comedic family man

-Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff were typecast as either Dracula or Frankenstein were they were alive.

-Johnny Depp keeps playing people from the 1800s/1700s

-Tim Allen always plays a variant of his Tim Taylor character

Mr.Nerd said:
billy bob thorton.

Aside from the replication that was his Bad Santa and Bad News Bears dual character, I'd say not really.

Billy Bob is the man, and a very strong, demonstrated to be versatile actor.

Reese Witherspoon is codemned to star in every romantic comedy ever filmed from now on.

Dude who plays Harry Potter will always be Harry Potter.

Seann William Scott is doomed to be the loud, annoying guy with a foul mouth who constantly puts down other people's lack of sexual experience.

Also, going back further, Cary Grant was always the suave, charming and good looking British gentleman and Jimmy Stewart was always the shy, stuttering and likeable everyman. Doesn't detract from their unbelieavable levels of awesomeness in any way, shape or form.

^Same as Macaulay Culkin. When you work with Chris Columbus, the general idea is that your ass is typecast for life. Look at his body of work from the '80's on up.

A few of you are confusing signature acting styles with typecasting but I digress....

Chris Tucker
Mehki Phifer
Regina King
Orlando Bloom

I suppose Will Smith saying "oh heeeeeeelllll naw!" in every other movie wouldn't so much be typecasting as a signature thing, huh? :o

thealiasman2000 said:
-Robert DeNiro always plays a mobster

He doesn't really get typecast as a mobster. He was in films like Taxi Driver, the King of Comedy, Godsend (which was godawful), Cape Fear, City by the Sea, Showtime, Meet the Parents, A Bronx Tale and Raging Bull.

He does, however, seem to be typecast as a person who is mentally unstable.

BT18 said:
Aside from the replication that was his Bad Santa and Bad News Bears dual character, I'd say not really.

Billy Bob is the man, and a very strong, demonstrated to be versatile actor.
Just saw Friday Night Lights today.
I'd say he's not type cast at all realy.

terry78 said:
I suppose Will Smith saying "oh heeeeeeelllll naw!" in every other movie wouldn't so much be typecasting as a signature thing, huh? :o

Got him an Oscar Nomination for Ali either way *shrug*:o

Abaddon said:
Michelle Rodriguez.
WAY too true.
She always plays the tough girl, which really bugs me, because she is so beautiful but keeps getting roles that don't let her.

I think it just might be her own preference. Sort of a self-imposed typecasting

I think its because she has a sack between her legs and stalks Evageline Lilly...

-Geoffrey Rush keeps playing British characters even though he is Australian

-Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint's entire career consist of Harry Potter movies

-Vin Diesel always plays the macho badass action hero

-The Rock always plays either a tough guy, or a sensitive guy with a tough guy attitude

-Harvey Keitel always plays a mobster

-Dennis Farina always plays a mobster

-Joe Pesci always plays a fast-talking, short-tempered character

-Mickey Rourke always plays a criminal

-Jason Mewe's entire career consist of playing Jay

-Jack Nicholson always plays someone who is either crazy, or on his way there

-Dennis Hopper always plays the bad guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads