The Amazing Spider-Man Uncle Ben's Killer

Yeah I prefer that whole origin/death sequence in SM1 much more than in ASM. But I prefer in ASM that the whole film kinda is his origin.

Yeah I forgot who, but someone said that this movie is like issue 0. I totally agree. So I'm hoping the sequel brings a lot! (Which I think it will)

I just see it as implausible that he wasn't able to catch the killer that night. He got a pretty damn good look at him in the store and Uncle Ben does die relatively quickly (as opposed to Trinity's ten minute death scene in Matrix Revolutions). I mean the whole point was that he had enough control of his powers to stop the guy but chose not to so why couldn't he find him when he clearly could not have gotten very far away.

It just seems they left the whole thing unresolved just so that they would have something for the sequel.

Actually, he doesn't see who killed Ben. He only heard a shot. It wasn't until at the house that he saw the drawing of the killer and that he had a tat on his wrist that Peter knew who it was.

Also, in this version, he was distraught and wanted to stay by his uncles side. Add to that, at that time, he didn't actually see the killer or knew what he looked like.

I respectfully disagree. If anything it had less to it.

In Raimi's, when Uncle Ben dies Peter loses control and his rage takes over. He has no thought but vengeance. When he catches up to the thief and sees that he himself is to blame, you can see his world crumbling, he almost gets shot in the face he is in that much shock.

Later when thinking on the events and how he was responsible for two deaths that night is when Uncle Ben's classic words (great power great responsibility) start to resonate. We then see him starting to become the hero, taking those words to heart and using them for strength.

In TASM we get none of that. I mean he learns the lesson about responsibility through the death of Gwen's dad and the promise he made which he seems so eager to break.

In the sequel when he catches Ben's murderer, is anyone here seriously going to feel any tension in that scene? You know as well as I do that he is not going to kill that guy, he will turn him over to the police and that will be the basis for the side plot of the police forgiving him and the city coming to love him.

On a side note, Spidey's iPhone now has a voided warranty due to all that sewer water :oldrazz:

And I respectively disagree :woot:

In this version, Petes world has also crumbled. But instead of getting angry here, he's distraught and a wreck. His uncle, his father figure, has just been shot and dies.

You see for most of the film how him and Aunt May are distant since his death. This is coupled with the fact that he's out looking for the killer (that scene after the carjacker bit with Aunt May seeing the wounds is just a wonderfully emotional scene).

Both reactions are valid to Bens death. I felt in this one you really felt the impact it had on Pete and his Aunt.
How can you say we see non of the 'Great Power' stuff coming in to the film? He basically goes out looking for revenge. He's wreckless with his power because of it, not thinking. As Capt Stacey points out to Pete, spidey doesn't stand for what he stands for, he's just has some vendetta. We see Pete thinking about what he says. Then we get the bridge scene at how he rescues the kid. He reunites the kid with his dad and you even see spidey lower his head, knowing how much that means, that he has lost both his dads basically, and knowing what he has to do now.

Hence the 'I'm Spider-Man'. That moment is when he truly became a hero. Then, he's in his room, on the floor, looking at the mask. For the first time, he's used his powers responsibly and for the good of others. You know (well, I believe) he was thinking about the talk with his uncle about responsibility and the talk with Capt Stacey.

There was such a slower build up to that than in SM1. This is why I loved TASMs origin more than SM1.

Now how he catched the killer in the sequels, I don't know how well it will be executed. So all we can do is wait and see. But I think they'll do a good-great job in dealing with it.

In regards to the Iphone, I'm sure he got sewage insurance :woot:

Last edited:
Peter confronting/catching Uncle Ben's killer and going through the motions of letting him live and turning him into the cops would make for great poignant and emotional cinema if done right.

That's one of the most important aspects of Peter Parker: his strength of character and his attempts to always do the right thing, especially in the face of what could be seen as understandable vengeance/justice.

Yeah I prefer that whole origin/death sequence in SM1 much more than in ASM. But I prefer in ASM that the whole film kinda is his origin.

The only thing I thought about the origin they could have done better was actually how they shot bens death. From the moment pete left the store to the last shot of pete over Ben. This felt a bit rushed. Garfield saves that bit IMO. Everything else about the TASM origin though for me is better, IMO.

But I will say again, both origins are fine and dandy. And both have some iffy bits for me lol.

Actually, he doesn't see who killed Ben. He only heard a shot. It wasn't until at the house that he saw the drawing of the killer and that he had a tat on his wrist that Peter knew who it was.

Also, in this version, he was distraught and wanted to stay by his uncles side. Add to that, at that time, he didn't actually see the killer or knew what he looked like.

It's true that he doesn't directly see who kills UB, however he just saw a bloke pull a gun to commit a violent crime just up the road a few minutes beforehand and he saw that guys face under bright lights. I seriously believe he should have had a sinking feeling in his gut and put two and two together.

I can understand him wanting to stay by his uncle's side, but if he had that feeling it was the same guy and that he was close by, how can he not go after him?

Either way, this is all based on personal preference.

I still maintain though that when he catches the killer in the sequel, there won't be any tension in that scene as he has already learned the lesson of power and responsibility. I sincerely believe he will catch him, turn him over to the cops and that will be the basis for the city starting to like SM.

If that happens in such an obvious manner I will be very upset.

Also, SM2 was on the TV here the other night, can't help but think the older costume with the raised webbing looks so much better.

How can you say we see non of the 'Great Power' stuff coming in to the film?

You misunderstand me. :yay:

He does learn all the Great Power stuff all throughout the film as you listed above. The problem I have is that he learns all this from Captain Stacy and not from Uncle Ben and his own tragic experience in letting the killer die.

I see what they are trying to do with the changes in the origin, and it makes sense if you're trying to make a SM story different to the original trilogy to make some $$. I don't begrudge the studios for that, they are running a business after all.

I just feel that for SM as a pure character, above all this money stuff (which I know is ridiculous) a re-boot was not needed, there were still plenty of places to go with that universe. So much potential was just thrown away and it makes me so sad.

Peter confronting/catching Uncle Ben's killer and going through the motions of letting him live and turning him into the cops would make for great poignant and emotional cinema if done right.

That's one of the most important aspects of Peter Parker: his strength of character and his attempts to always do the right thing, especially in the face of what could be seen as understandable vengeance/justice.

You hit the nail on the head

The way I imagined it is that Mysterio/Green Goblin gives him the chance. Mysterio or Green Goblin has found the killer and gives him to Peter and gives him a choice

some scene like that could be incredibly intense

You misunderstand me. :yay:

He does learn all the Great Power stuff all throughout the film as you listed above. The problem I have is that he learns all this from Captain Stacy and not from Uncle Ben and his own tragic experience in letting the killer die.

I see what they are trying to do with the changes in the origin, and it makes sense if you're trying to make a SM story different to the original trilogy to make some $$. I don't begrudge the studios for that, they are running a business after all.

I just feel that for SM as a pure character, above all this money stuff (which I know is ridiculous) a re-boot was not needed, there were still plenty of places to go with that universe. So much potential was just thrown away and it makes me so sad.

Continuing the Raimi saga, even with new actors, would be beating a dead horse. Even beyond the horrible mistakes in SM3, the characters were just getting way too annoying and the direction they were going was awful. Imo a reboot was definitely needed, though a reboot without the origin would've been better

The way I imagined it is that Mysterio/Green Goblin gives him the chance. Mysterio or Green Goblin has found the killer and gives him to Peter and gives him a choice

some scene like that could be incredibly intense

I think you're up for some disappointment. I think what's more likely to happen is that Pete catches the car their by himself and turns him over to the cops after some "tension" about whether or not Peter will kill the bloke (which we all know he will not).

I think Peter not catching the thief and putting that on the back burner or abandoning it all together shows that the writers don't understand the character. Letting the burglar go was the biggest mistake of Peter's life, it's why he's Spider-man, as long as he's got these powers he can't let another criminal go because what's the next crime that person commits. What crimes has the burglar commited since Uncle Ben's murder?

I think Peter not catching the thief and putting that on the back burner or abandoning it all together shows that the writers don't understand the character. Letting the burglar go was the biggest mistake of Peter's life, it's why he's Spider-man, as long as he's got these powers he can't let another criminal go because what's the next crime that person commits. What crimes has the burglar commited since Uncle Ben's murder?

That's why Peter spent the majority of his time shortly after Ben's death hunting down all criminals fitting the description of the killer. He ended up turning a bunch of those criminals in to the police. And it makes perfect sense why he temporarily put aside the hunt. He learned it was his responsibility to stop the Lizard..."because I created him"...and make sure the Lizard and his plan didn't end up turning or killing millions of people. I'd say that takes priority over Ben's killer. Peter will resume the hunt in the next film as was shown by the wanted poster hanging on his desk at the end of ASM.

Yeah, Peter should have ignored the monster that was threatening the entire city.

Stupid writers who don't understand the character!

So, in response to the OP: If Uncle Ben's killer arc isn't resolved in film 2 I personally will be upset. If it isn't resolved by film 3, I will partially disown this series. It is something that needs to be resolved. The hope that it will be in the sequel is what allows me to give ASM such positive reviews. To a different extent, this holds true with Peter's parents' arc and Dr. Ratha's whereabouts.

With respect to what some above posters are saying, I hope Spidey kills the star tattoo man or lets him die. I want him to make that mistake. He is not perfect, he is learning and growing to be Spider-Man. And he will learn from Electro's actions that just because one has the power to seek revenge and cause harm, doesn't mean they should.

Yeah, Peter should have ignored the monster that was threatening the entire city.

Stupid writers who don't understand the character!

Haha exactly!

I'm glad some of these posters aren't and never will be writers for a Spider-Man movie.

Haha exactly!

I'm glad some of these posters aren't and never will be writers for a Spider-Man movie.
:up:

Uncle Ben's killer is one of millions of criminals roaming around the city. Stopping the Lizard was much more important.

So, in response to the OP: If Uncle Ben's killer arc isn't resolved in film 2 I personally will be upset. If it isn't resolved by film 3, I will partially disown this series. It is something that needs to be resolved. The hope that it will be in the sequel is what allows me to give ASM such positive reviews. To a different extent, this holds true with Peter's parents' arc and Dr. Ratha's whereabouts.

With respect to what some above posters are saying, I hope Spidey kills the star tattoo man or lets him die. I want him to make that mistake. He is not perfect, he is learning and growing to be Spider-Man. And he will learn from Electro's actions that just because one has the power to seek revenge and cause harm, doesn't mean they should.

I think the fact that you hear Uncle Ben referencing Peter having so many unresolved things in his life while showing the Wanted poster is saying that Peter WILL find Uncle Ben's killer at some point.

Haha exactly!

Well, I wouldn't leave that thread open. bad place if I wrote the movie I wouldn't redo the origin because that wasn't needed. Oh and before any says it was due to a new actor playing the part. Incredible Hulk managed just fine, not redoing the origin.

It's a stupid plot thread to leave open, all that's needed is Peter overhears where the police have cornered the guy and he goes after him. Then you leave 15-20 minutes open in the movie where Peter can go after other criminals while learning to become a hero.

Well, I wouldn't leave that thread open. bad place if I wrote the movie I wouldn't redo the origin because that wasn't needed. Oh and before any says it was due to a new actor playing the part. Incredible Hulk managed just fine, not redoing the origin.

It's a stupid plot thread to leave open, all that's needed is Peter overhears where the police have cornered the guy and he goes after him. Then you leave 15-20 minutes open in the movie where Peter can go after other criminals while learning to become a hero.
Except they want to fully explore Peter's development into a superhero. It's not like they just kinda forgot about Uncle Ben's killer either, they are obviously going to do something with him in the future, and it could be a defining moment for Peter only in a different way. They probably don't want to have Peter learn how to become a hero in just fifteen minutes of real time.

Except they want to fully explore Peter's development into a superhero. It's not like they just kinda forgot about Uncle Ben's killer either, they are obviously going to do something with him in the future, and it could be a defining moment for Peter only in a different way. They probably don't want to have Peter learn how to become a hero in just fifteen minutes of real time.

Exactly.

I don't know if TIH is the best example. I love it, but its not exactly one of the greatest CBMs out there. I can see them trying to be like TDK or the Avengers, but TIH isn't a movie that they should use as a model.

With a pop. of 19.3 million, I doubt Peter would find ONE man in the span of 1-2 weeks.

The guy probably also got his hair shaved and had his tattoo removed.

The simplicity of Stan Lee's story is what makes it so powerful though. Peter's uses his powers for his own personal gain, he's caring only about himself and no one else and that selffishness leads to his Uncle (really Father's) death. That's the transformation from selfish teen to selfless hero. I mean, sure, show the growing pains of him learning to become the hero, but Uncle Ben's death is the catalyst. If you're going to mess with that, then don't do the origin.

Exactly.

I don't know if TIH is the best example. I love it, but its not exactly one of the greatest CBMs out there. I can see them trying to be like TDK or the Avengers, but TIH isn't a movie that they should use as a model.

But it's a good example of a movie rebooting a franchise without retelling the origin. TDK and Avengers don't qualify, both movies were using existing franchises, not rebooting them.

It's true that he doesn't directly see who kills UB, however he just saw a bloke pull a gun to commit a violent crime just up the road a few minutes beforehand and he saw that guys face under bright lights. I seriously believe he should have had a sinking feeling in his gut and put two and two together.

I can understand him wanting to stay by his uncle's side, but if he had that feeling it was the same guy and that he was close by, how can he not go after him?

Either way, this is all based on personal preference.

I still maintain though that when he catches the killer in the sequel, there won't be any tension in that scene as he has already learned the lesson of power and responsibility. I sincerely believe he will catch him, turn him over to the cops and that will be the basis for the city starting to like SM.

If that happens in such an obvious manner I will be very upset.

Also, SM2 was on the TV here the other night, can't help but think the older costume with the raised webbing looks so much better.

Raised webbing? Nooo. Haha. Again it's all opinion. I disliked the way the webbing would "shine" in certain lighting and would turn somewhat silver ish. I wanna see what they come up with in the sequel.

The simplicity of Stan Lee's story is what makes it so powerful though. Peter's uses his powers for his own personal gain, he's caring only about himself and no one else and that selffishness leads to his Uncle (really Father's) death. That's the transformation from selfish teen to selfless hero. I mean, sure, show the growing pains of him learning to become the hero, but Uncle Ben's death is the catalyst. If you're going to mess with that, then don't do the origin.
I agree that the original origin is great, but wasn't everyone complaining that the origin was too similar? This might be the kind of refreshing spin on things that the origin needed to be justified in the first place. Also, I just want to point out that Uncle Ben's little speech and his death still were the catalysts for Peter learning to become a hero. It seems like in Peter's anger, guilt, and sadness, Peter only kind of understood what Uncle Ben meant. He knew that he needed use his powers to do something, he just forgot what he was doing it for. It wasn't until he had someone else (Captain Stacy) describe to him what he was actually doing. From then on he realized Uncle Ben meant that he should be helping people, not just getting revenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"