Underrated CB movies

As you can see from my list in my sig, The Wolverine sticks out for being quite high. I absolutely love this film! It feels so real, personal and violent. Great balance of character development and action, good story and everything I've wanted from a Wolvie film.

I understand most people how it gets a little too gimmicking/comic-bookish at the end, but that doesn't take away from it at all. I didn't mind that at all. My only dislike was Viper. While she didn't bother me, in the end, she is just a bit forgettable. But at the same time, she doesn't really need to be that memorable. Yes she was the villain, but the story is more about Logan's personal struggle from within, which I loved!

The problem with The Wolverine, to me, is that it's quite forgettable. I barely remembered watching it a week after I did. I like what it's aiming for. But the execution of it is kind of lifeless.

Don't deserve the hate:

X-Men: The Last Stand
Batman and Robin
Howard the Duck
Supergirl
Tank Girl
Superman III
Superman IV
The Fantastic Four (1994)
Judge Dredd
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Daredevil - the director's cut is an immense film

As a complete work and whole approach, Watchmen. In years to come, this will be given more credit where it is due.

Road to Perdition. It's one of the best comic films out there IMO.

ASM2.

Sure the majority liked it but it deserves to be one of the very best CBM's IMO.

Constantine, Punisher (2004), Incredible Hulk

And maybe Daredevil.

The Wolverine
V for Vendetta
Captain America TFA
Blade
The Crow

ASM2 by far should be a top 6 CBM and yet most people probly don't even have it in there top 10. Great music, action, acting, and the story was solded and not chessy like for some wired reason people say.

ASM2 is a good film buuuuuut I think it's biggest problem is that the film feels quite uneven at times and honestly, out of CAP2, X-men dof and ASM2, it's easy to see why spidey came off as the weaker film. The studio and all involved really need to reasses their execution. The series has a great cast, a great director and even though their stories are solid enough, they lack the gravitas to execute it on a way that really elevates the movies to the łevels they should be at.
Sony need to stop messing around and focus on getting this property in order, seriously. Forget the stupid sinister 6 movie, it's a dumb idea. Keep the sinister 6 in a spidey movie, which is what the series has been gearing towards anyway and then adapt solid material from the comics to underpin a more fleshed out story that can take the series into a better direction. One doesn't need to be an experienced movie producer or should I say accountant turned artistic head honcho to know a good and workable idea from a crappy dud-yielding one.

220px-Howard_the_Duck_(1986).jpg

Doesn't deserve half the hate it gets. Actually, a very good movie.

I'd say Watchmen as well, (director's cut, mainly) because as the genre becomes more omni-present it'll be easier to connect with a deconstruction

However, there were still some very questionable deviations in that movie from the source that make it fall apart on a story level

Also, Ackerman as Silk Spectre was some really weak casting
one of the most important characters in the story, and they totally failed her

I wouldnt say Dredd is overrated, because even tho it hasnt earned much in the box office, it does get all the critical acclaim it deserves. I also always liked 1989's Punisher, one of the, if not the first, R rated superhero movie

Man Of Steel: I think the darker tone and Superman killing hurt the film for some people.

Batman Begins: IMO this film is way better then TDK and TDKR, it is a Batman film that actually focused on Bruce Wayne / Batman.

If I had to pick a definitive top 5 they would be something like this:

Batman Returns
Hulk
Watchmen
TASM 2
Daredevil Directors Cut

Runner Up's: Iron Man 2, Punisher 04, Constantine and Thor.

I'd say Watchmen as well, (director's cut, mainly) because as the genre becomes more omni-present it'll be easier to connect with a deconstruction

However, there were still some very questionable deviations in that movie from the source that make it fall apart on a story level

Also, Ackerman as Silk Spectre was some really weak casting
one of the most important characters in the story, and they totally failed her

Both Akerman and Gugino are terrible in the film. Also the cartoonish level of gore is off-putting to me. The makeup in the film is pretty weak as well. Most of my criticisms are the film's aesthetic choices.

There are moments of brilliance though. The entire Dr. Manhattan Mars scene is genius, and the use of Pruit Igoe and Prophecies is incredible. The Pagliacci joke scene is wonderfully done as well. There are individual scenes like that that stand out as the best sequences in the genre. The film just inconsistent - which is a major flaw of all of Zack Snyder's films.

I think The Dark Knight, perhaps unintentionally, did a better job of deconstructing the genre than Watchmen. I think the film would have benefitted from a much more naturalistic aesthetic than what Snyder was going for.

Last edited:
The Shadow- it was better than it got a rep for. I wish they had continued it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"