UPGRADE by Blumhouse/Leigh Whannell

31st of August release date here is some real BS. :cmad:

My review

It's hard for me to not get caught up and overpraise this but goddamn, this movie was incredible. Despite the trailer and title looking half-assed, it's got a fully realized world and story. It has every blend of cyberpunk from RoboCop to Total Recall to the Matrix to even recent stuff like Hardcore Henry and Black Mirror. The story was pretty damn good and they throw a couple of curve balls right when you think you know how it plays out and they way they end it is just perfect. It's 90 minutes long but they know how to use that time efficiently. Best thing I can say about this is it's doesn't take itself too seriously. They do have some really great emotional beats and they also know how to take a joke. Logan Marshall-Green aka Tom Hardy jr. actually pulled off a great performance.
Overall, it's easily one of my favorites of the year and I wouldn't be surprised if this has a big cult following like Dredd.

9.5/10

Also it's a shame Venom is coming out because it's going to have a tough time topping this movie. (I mean... it's pretty damn similar in concept)

I was going to wait for DVD for this one but the reviews are swaying me to see it in theaters.

Mmph, no release date for France :(
Well, will wait for the dvd.

Also it's a shame Venom is coming out because it's going to have a tough time topping this movie. (I mean... it's pretty damn similar in concept)

It doesn't help that Logan Marshall Green and Tom Hardy look like they could be twins. :hehe:

I saw this today. Loved it. Insidious: Chapter 3 was a solid directorial debut for Whannell, but Upgrade is a huge improvement.

I loved loved loved this movie. This is going to be a cult classic. Not one missed step. This is why I go to the movies.

tumblr_p6xfporUSf1x0uneyo4_540.gif

This was better than it should have been. There were a few scenes in this where you were sure you were watching Tom Hardy instead of Logan Marshall Green :hehe:

This was better than it should have been. There were a few scenes in this where you were sure you were watching Tom Hardy instead of Logan Marshall Green :hehe:

I saw the Invitation at a festival screening in 2015. I spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out if he was Hardy or not.

He deserves more work, seriously.

And after watching it, you see why it's under the Blumhouse label.

Harrison Gilbertson, who played Eron, seems like he could've made a good Flash too.

The more I've thought about this movie, the more I like it. The action was really well done

If this was released in the 80s alongside the movies that inspired it, such as “The Terminator” and “Robocop,” this would’ve blown audiences’ minds. Now, while it isn’t mind-blowing, it is a nostalgic action roller coaster thrill ride that harkens back to the films of the 80s. In a time like today where every summer release is a tent pole CG fest, “Upgrade” is a release that feels more refreshing than ever. This 5 million dollar budgeted feature has all the elements to be that bloated action flick but, thanks to Leigh Whannell’s experience in working in low-budget flicks, “Upgrade” thankfully looks as great in quality as your average blockbuster. All of the effects are practical and the action is brilliantly choreographed to make this layered action flick feel like an exhilarating awesome time.

If there was any movie to solidify my thoughts on the upcoming “Venom” film sucking, “Upgrade” is it. “Upgrade” features:

- Brilliant action sequences with outstanding choreography
- Gory violence
- An emotional narrative
- A Tom Hardy lookalike that I keep forgetting isn’t Tom Hardy

FULL REVIEW: https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//upgrade-review

I thought it was okay. Action sequences were good but story predictable.

I saw this tonight at the Sydney Film Festival.

I was thoroughly entertained. I went because I saw the trailer the other day and was really impressed and I wanted to see sci-fi/action like this.

Whannell makes the most of his limited budget. He sets out to entertain and achieves it, mostly. It's very focused and creates the world in a sparse way. I was hoping to see more of a sci-fi landscape but you could see the limitations they were working under.

The audience I was with clapped and cheered at the gory parts.

Leigh Whannell was there to give an intro, as well as the actors

who play the lead bad robot and the voice of Stem

I thought Logan Marshall-Green did really well as the lead and anchoring the film. He was quite impressive.

It did feel a bit derivative of The Matrix, Terminator, and Robocop but Whannell actually cited these as his inspirations when he made his speech.

Nothing mindblowingly new, but still really refreshing. I can see why it won the SXSW Midnighters Audience Award. It's a crowd pleaser and does what it sets out to do, so deserves a big audience and success.

Last edited:
I f*****g loved this so much. #1 of 2018 for me so far.

Surprised Blumhouse didn't push this harder when in theaters. They push crap like Truth or Dare and make bank, they could've sold this one much better and made the same.

The director's commentary is only available on the digital version. That sucks.

It was...fine. The worst thing were attempts at humour and Greene's delivery few times. The twists are predictable and have been done to death. Good debut for the director though. Comparisons to the recent Dredd and The Crow do this one no favors, nowhere near as good imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"