Venom now has a stand alone film, according to the studio.

I don't think we need to worry about them pulling Spider-Man from the MCU anytime soon; the Holland is likely contracted to (at least) three solo films, in addition to Civil War and the two Infinity War films; thus six in total.

It would be nice to think his contract will expand beyond that, because I'd love to see him in a future Avengers film in addition to an odd cameo or helping hand in one of the other future films. Homecoming has already established that the MCU exists within Spider-Man via Ironman, so it's unlikely Sony would reboot Spider-Man for a fourth time, especially when their previous attempts haven't exactly worked out so well in the long-run (thus needing reboots).

If anything, they'll go the way of DC in that they'll have a different version of Spider-Man for their own little universe, and allow Holland to continue reprising his role as the hero in the MCU; it's kinda' a win-win for Sony if they do this; two versions of the same character at the same time and yet, in separate universes. If one bombs, they've got a backup, if they're both successful, then that's a profit for Sony.

DC are using Batman in Gotham, Titans, in their DCEU and (eventually) within the Arrowverse too (it's only a matter of time); so if they can have three, potentially four incarnations of Batman, Sony can have two incarnations of Spider-Man.

And? That was your point? How does that contradict in any way what I've been saying? Besides, the part of Venom being fun or Sony getting right is completely dogmatic.

Did I ever call specific people here in the forum? Not that I recall.

Looks like you still don't get it. There are times when a company has an asset that doesn't bring them revenue, in that case what would be the best course of action? Letting it doing nothing like dead weight? Or sell it to get money you wouldn't have gotten otherwise? That's what I meant when I hypothetically talked about if Venom had bombed.

I don't know yet. I'll probably watch it but only a month after its premiere, that way Sony doesn't get immediate revenue.

Facts and chances cannot be wrong, though. That's like telling to people saying that the sky is blue that 'they're wrong', or like telling the weather people saying there's 14% chance of rain that 'they're wrong'. People that watch Venom are helping are giving money and helping Sony, that's a fact. And there's a chance of Spider-Man being pulled from the MCU, which will always be there unless you provide evidence that definitely says that will not happen.

Dogmatic? What do you even mean?
And waiting a little to buy a ticket would make any difference somehow in Sony's bottom line? That is factually nonsense.

I now know you really do not have a clue how it all works.
See also Spider-Fan reply.

For the last time, the general audience rewarded Venom, no way telling people on here that they did anything wrong makes a difference: seeing a film is not hurting anyone, so please drop the judgemental tone.

I am done replying at this point, you are going in circles.

Dogmatic? What do you even mean?
And waiting a little to buy a ticket would make any difference somehow in Sony's bottom line? That is factually nonsense.

I now know you really do not have a clue how it all works.
See also Spider-Fan reply.

For the last time, the general audience rewarded Venom, no way telling people on here that they did anything wrong makes a difference: seeing a film is not hurting anyone, so please drop the judgemental tone.

I am done replying at this point, you are going in circles.
For some reason you're stating the obvious but me waiting a month to purchase a ticket is obviously not going to have an impact on their sales, I'm just one person after all. It has more to with my personal principles than a crusade against Sony, as you seemed to have understood. And Spider-Fan was talking about the low chances Sony selling Spider-Man back to Disney even if Venom bombed. Don't know how that has anything to do with your sentence about me purchasing tickets.

And also for the last time (because you clearly didn't read my last statement), I haven't called any specific users in this forum. Now, if you're referring to me blaming them in case Sony pulls Spider-Man from the MCU then you're basically victimizing over something that hasn't happened yet. Besides, I gave in a little since now I understand that there could be more possible reason for that to happen.

Oh, and the irony in that last statement.

Really wish general audiences would stop rewarding dog doodoo movies like this.

I have no problem with venom doing well. It’s the idiots behind the movie I don’t trust. I can’t see how anyone could. Spider-Man was almost run into the ground by Avi Arad and now you want to headline a universe full of Spider-Man villains? I don’t understand. I don’t trust Sony with the property and I think making a universe with Spider-Man villains is a dumb idea. Venom had plenty of great standalone comics but others I can’t see holding a movie.

My beef will always be with Sony and how they almost killed the franchise. I’m glad venom turned out fine but people have been wanting a venom film for yrs. venom is just a popular character.

Hopefully Sony doesn’t take spidey out but Avi Arad seems to have his sights dead set on controlling Spider-Man that Sony stupidly listen to whatever he says despite him almost killing the brand and causing fatigue.

Really wish general audiences would stop rewarding dog doodoo movies like this.
You are spoiled if you think so lowly of Venom, there is a lot of movies out every year objectively a lot worse, just from technical standpoints.

It entertained and made happy a lot of people, that's reason enough for a movie to exist, even those worse ones I referenced.

For example the Bayformers movies are terrible for me and I would prefer that property being handled differently (fingers crossed for Bumblebee) but they are liked by not so few people: good for them, I can go watch something else.

And keep in mind that inevitably someone always exists that has reverse taste than you and finds dog poo what you like.
Who cares? Enjoy what you like, respect others' opinions.

Besides, the majority of people who enjoyed Venom agree it is stupid fun, reasonably well crafted stupid fun, but fun nonetheless.
Happy to have rewarded it.

Last edited:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $187,282,314 36.8%
+ Foreign: $321,100,000 63.2%
= Worldwide: $508,382,314

$500 mil mark cleared. Next goal is $600 mil WW.

It will get there when it opens in China in November.

Venom cannot be denied for finding a substantial audience. Just comparing it's box office holds to the months other big opener in Halloween shows it's solid traction. Better second weekend hold (despite losing IMAX screens) 56% vs. 59% and better per screen avg. by roughly 25%, $10,804 vs. $7874. Not nearly as front loaded as people assumed it would be.

Thought this should be also brought up in here.

You are spoiled if you think so lowly of Venom, there is a lot of movies out every year objectively a lot worse, just from technical standpoints.

It entertained and made happy a lot of people, that's reason enough for a movie to exist, even those worse ones I referenced.

For example the Bayformers movies are terrible for me and I would prefer that property being handled differently (fingers crossed for Bumblebee) but they are liked by not so few people: good for them, I can go watch something else.

And keep in mind that inevitably someone always exists that has reverse taste than you and finds dog poo what you like.
Who cares? Enjoy what you like, respect others' opinions.

Besides, the majority of people who enjoyed Venom agree it is stupid fun, reasonably well crafted stupid fun, but fun nonetheless.
Happy to have rewarded it.
No, he is asolutely right, venom is bad and is considered bad by the majority of people who saw it. There are very few things "well-crafted" in this film.

Also come talk to me again of how happy you will.be to have.rewarded this cash grab when sony ruins kraven and a bunch of other spider-man characters like they have been doing for years. Because i certainly wont be "happy" with you. You and others gave arad ammo and confidence and you will be held accountable for that in the years to come.

No, he is asolutely right, venom is bad and is considered bad by the majority of people who saw it. There are very few things "well-crafted" in this film.

Also come talk to me again of how happy you will.be to have.rewarded this cash grab when sony ruins kraven and a bunch of other spider-man characters like they have been doing for years. Because i certainly wont be "happy" with you. You and others gave arad ammo and confidence and you will be held accountable for that in the years to come.

This is not a factual claim. Like at all. You need to stop projecting your opinion as a general fact. The fact is, we don't know what the public at large thought. We have conflicting evidence.

Also, I don't give a flying crap if you're happy with me or people who paid to see Venom. What I pay for and enjoy is my business. I don't live to please you, nor do I owe you any type of apology even if Kraven or the other movies suck. You're not the most important person in the universe. My world doesn't revolve around offending you. Again, get off your high horse. Your ego is beyond irritating. Like seriously, do I need to do this every couple of days? Get over yourself.

Now you're funny! We will be held accountable? By you? Suit yourself...

How can you know that a majority of the audience thought it bad? Telepathy?

Read what I reposted up here, the drops tell it has an unexpectedly good word of mouth, at the very least a lot of people were pleasantly entertained, no matter how any single one of us may feel about it.
The box office performance of this movie is not debatable, sorry.

Yea well let’s hope they don’t screw up Spider-Man cause of venom doing well. I can imagine arad is bout to screw us fans over again by taking spidey out the mcu and rebooting the franchise for the 50th time to fit into the world of venom. It would be much easier if venom were in the mcu.

These are trying times if your a spidey fan. If that new Spider-Man cartoon movie does good to I can see them replacing peter with miles soon like they are trying to do. Kinda sad how spidey is the character who gets screwed with the most. I wish marvel bought him back in 2008

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $200,326,479 36.8%
+ Foreign: $344,437,169 63.2%
= Worldwide: $544,763,648

Last edited:

Venom love from China. Remarkable response.

:sym:

Well that would mean Venom will gross more than $100 mil in China.

Which means Venom will outgross Justice League which is sitting at $657,9 mil. :wow:

So, it is currently on pace for 107.9 there?

man, China has comically poor taste
that or it's all just inflationary

Well we re looking at a $700 mil WW for Venom. Thats insane.

Potentially Venom can outgross The Amazing Spider-Man 2 which sits at $709 mil WW.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $206,298,981 30.5%
+ Foreign: $469,941,592 69.5%
= Worldwide: $676,240,573

A $111 mil debut in China. Great stuff.

I hope Sony gives the Spidey rights back to Marvel (seems highly unlikely) or goes bankrupt in 2019.

Venom has a small chance of beating the box office gross of The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
Something noone would have expected. Not even when the movie opened and we got the 3day opening weekend numbers.

Spider-Man 3 - $890,9 mil (2007)
Spider-Man HC - $880,2 mil (2017)
Spider-Man - $821,7 mil (2002)
Spider-Man 2 - $783,8 mil (2004)
Venom - $779,5 mil (2018)
TA SM - $757,9 mil (2012)
TA SM2 - $709 mil (2014)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads