VH1'S 100 Greatest Artists of All Time

my only big gripe was Elvis and Chuck Berry being as low as they were

My only gripe is Queen being so low. :o

And Beyonce being there. Period. :down

I mean, really, what has she done to be considered one of the top 500 artists of all time, let alone 100?

F*** The Beatles. :sleepy:
Agreed. I would have put a bunch of artists and groups ahead of the Beatles.
I mean, really, what has she done to be considered one of the top 500 artists of all time, let alone 100?
What about Justin Timberlake and Alicia Keys? I'm not a huge fan of Beyonce, but even she deserves it more than those two imo.

Last edited:
kidding, kidding

jeez....for all the claims you hear about music being about love and togetherness, it is one of the most divisive things Ive ever seen discussed...ive seen people throw hands over music

kidding, kidding

jeez....for all the claims you hear about music being about love and togetherness, it is one of the most divisive things Ive ever seen discussed...ive seen people throw hands over music
You including yourself?

Anyway, I COMPLETELY disagree with #1. They're the most overrated band ever. But not the best. And I'm sticking to it.

I don't "argue" over music, Ill certainly discuss it but I wouldn't get into an heated argument over it

entertainment, in any form, is subjective.....one mans Unchained Melody is another mans Hit Me Baby, One More Time

for the exception of one or two, there shouldn't be any rappers in the top 50

Pink Floyd's a little low for my liking, too...

While I would have personally liked to see Queen ranked higher, I was kind of surprised they were placed as high as they were. Over here, they never seemed to really take off. Sure, we know all the big hits, but there were many many, more songs that remained under the radar. But it's good to see that the industry still remembers their awesomeness.

A list with timberlake and beyonce has no place using the words greatest.

Yes, yes you are.
And I'm curious to know, why is that? If all forms of music are to be represented, represent them rightfully. 2Pac was one of the best songwriters of all time, and wasn't just catchy beats/rhymes and thug life, even though that's how he's perceived a lot. What exactly makes a band like Nirvana better? The moral of their songs? Not if you listen. The use of more musical instruments? Yeah, still doesn't really add to the meaning of the song in my opinion.

the perception among many people, artists, fans, even journalists is that 2pac was nothing but a thug who's lifestyle led to his early demise

the perception among many people, artists, fans, even journalists is that 2pac was nothing but a thug who's lifestyle led to his early demise

And after actually listening to a good amount of his songs, I believe that perception was completely false..

And I'm curious to know, why is that? If all forms of music are to be represented, represent them rightfully. 2Pac was one of the best songwriters of all time, and wasn't just catchy beats/rhymes and thug life, even though that's how he's perceived a lot. What exactly makes a band like Nirvana better? The moral of their songs? Not if you listen. The use of more musical instruments? Yeah, still doesn't really add to the meaning of the song in my opinion.

Maybe that's the issue. Sure rapping's creative, but it does not put him in the category of the best songwriters of all time, a person that does not play an instrument, does not write orchestration, who simply rhymes over a beat. I'm no fan of rap but I recognize it's creativity, but I also spent most of my life learning guitar and piano and got accepted to Berklee school of music. A rapper's type of creativity is just not impressive from my standpoint.

One of my college jobs was a session musician and one hour of work from me used to turn up in all kinds of weird places. But one thing I learned back then is that though creative these rappers have no vocabulary where music is concerned. They could not articulate what they wanted me to play, they could not describe a sound I should go for, I was basically left on my own to jam till they heard something they liked. Which is completely different from working with a real musician who can hand me a piece of sheet music or jam along with me or tell me "I need you to comp in E minor with a high energy Latin feel."

A rapper's type of creativity is just not impressive from my standpoint.
So you don't find poets and poetry impressive?
One of my college jobs was a session musician and one hour of work from me used to turn up in all kinds of weird places. But one thing I learned back then is that though creative these rappers have no vocabulary where music is concerned. They could not articulate what they wanted me to play, they could not describe a sound I should go for, I was basically left on my own to jam till they heard something they liked. Which is completely different from working with a real musician who can hand me a piece of sheet music or jam along with me or tell me "I need you to comp in E minor with a high energy Latin feel."
Okay. So you're implying that rappers are not musicians. Are you also implying then that rap is not music?

because no musical skill is needed to "spit rhymes", no knowledge of how to read or write actual music or even play an instrument

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"