Wal-Mart and Black Friday

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
If you live near a Walmart you have a new Thanksgiving night option: you can go shopping all night long! Yes, on Thanksgiving!

You know that bored feeling you get after dinner, when you've eaten as much pie as possible, napped twice and the dishes are all done? When there's nothing to do but watch old movies and recheck your shopping list for Black Friday?

Now, thanks to Walmart, you can get up off the couch and be ready for Christmas before Thanksgiving is even officially over. In a move to avert the unruly crush of shoppers that marred past Black Fridays, the retail giant is keeping their doors open around the clock at most of their stores from November 26 to November 27.

Traditionally on Black Friday, shoppers will line up hours in advance of early morning store openings, often creating a mob scene when the doors finally allow them inside. Each year seems to bring new stories of crowd mayhem, including a Walmart worker who was trampled by shoppers last Christmas.

This year, with the tough economy and tight budgets, analysts are expecting even bigger crowds searching for holiday sales and deep discounts. Walmart, taking a pragmatic approach, is simply letting bargain hunters come in and start shopping as early as they want. Another step they're taking to manage the anticipated crowd is to spread deals all over the store.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is this: Even though you can enter the store and grab your items early, the actual sales don't begin until 5 a.m. Friday. So, if you're going Thursday night and plan to hang around for the sales, you might want to pack yourself a turkey sandwich!

Are you going to be a 3 a.m. Walmart shopper? Or will you stick with the DVD and third slice of pie plan?

What do you think about that?

All of the Wal-Mart's in the county I'm from have requested additional police support to maintain control. :dry:

I would rather pay an extra 10% to not have to deal with that crap. In fact...I already do.

Every year someone dies at a Walmart on Black Friday.

Not worth it.

is walmart even having any sales worth checking out?

The Wal-Mart in my town has been open 24 hours a day for years.

It's amazing how crazy some people will act as soon as they see the word "Sale". At my local supermarket, they had dollar day, and the lineup was out the door. I'd rather skip it and buy full-price, thanks! The funny thing is, I looked at the flyer and bananas were $1.00/lb. Banana's are usually like $0.49/lb! AND PEOPLE WERE BUYING THEM AT THAT PRICE! :doh:

It's amazing how crazy some people will act as soon as they see the word "Sale". At my local supermarket, they had dollar day, and the lineup was out the door. I'd rather skip it and buy full-price, thanks! The funny thing is, I looked at the flyer and bananas were $1.00/lb. Banana's are usually like $0.49/lb! AND PEOPLE WERE BUYING THEM AT THAT PRICE! :doh:

Its a recession, cats is struggling out there

Even before the recession. And even then, it isn't quite as bad in Canada.

In there defense (and I dont want to defend them)...it does get pretty nuts on some Black Fridays in some regions and you get stampedes and things

So I've heard. I have a hard time believing there are sale prices worth all that

For the most part I agree. As long as it doesn't take police away from their regular duties it will be okay.

Well, they only need police because of the stampedes .... people have gotten killed. I think it's ridiculous that there even needs to be such security. The fact that people will get killed over superfluous things just makes me angry.

So I've heard. I have a hard time believing there are sale prices worth all that

Doesn't matter to me how great any sale prices are.....I have no money.

Well, they only need police because of the stampedes .... people have gotten killed. I think it's ridiculous that there even needs to be such security. The fact that people will get killed over superfluous things just makes me angry.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot that the police will be able to do at all of these Wal-Marts until the law is broken, if the law is broken then most likely that means a riot and there's no way they will have riot squads at every Wally World stormtrooping around.

I've read about pilgrims stampedes in India but Wal-Mart stampedes? What the **** is wrong with people?

I don't think that any place anywhere should be open on Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas.

And the entire concept of Black Friday completely sickens me. It really does.

Shoppers are the worst people on the face of the planet.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot that the police will be able to do at all of these Wal-Marts until the law is broken, if the law is broken then most likely that means a riot and there's no way they will have riot squads at every Wally World stormtrooping around.

I know that... :csad: By the time they'd be able to do something it'd be too late. It's just so unfortunate that society is reduced to that.

Edit:

[YT]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C7mbhEO-vXY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C7mbhEO-vXY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YT]

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aeSgBL7gpAk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aeSgBL7gpAk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"