Warner Bros. is going Blu-Ray exclusive.

I'll say it again...
Both Blu-ray and HD-dvd can go **** themselves and insert a **** up their *****.
This is doing nothing but hurting the costumers.

Breaking: Warner Goes Blu-ray Exclusive
Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 04:01 PM ET

It's official: Warner has announced it will drop its support of the HD DVD format, and will begin releasing its next-gen titles on Blu-ray exclusively.

The complete press release from Warner follows below. Watch for more developments in this breaking story soon.

(January 4, 2008 – Burbank, CA) – In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

“Warner Bros.’ move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want,” said Meyer. “The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers.”

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

“Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices,” said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. “Today’s decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner.”

“A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry,” said Tsujihara. “Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future.”

:huh: what's so hard to quote that?

I was copying and pasting, and while I was doing that it pasted a big square box with a bunch of links in it.

And I couldn't de-italicize the font.

I'm going to laugh in 3-4 years when both Blu-ray and HD-DVD are obsolete, and the companies that invested so much in them end up with egg on their face. Neither of the formats are going to have the longevity of DVD, I can already assure that.

Enjoy the "success" while it lasts, it definitely won't last long. Consumers have chosen Blu-Ray my ass.

But the format has to move forward. I don't see any SDTVs at my local Fry's anymore. If you have an HDTV, I would think you'd get a Blu Ray/HDDVD player along with it. Aren't most television programs going HD now too, anyway?

What about regular DVDs? Will we get those as well?

But the format has to move forward. I don't see any SDTVs at my local Fry's anymore. If you have an HDTV, I would think you'd get a Blu Ray/HDDVD player along with it. Aren't most television programs going HD now too, anyway?

Most consumers could care less about HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. Most are not willing to spend gratuitous amounts of money for a change in picture quality or a marginal change in sound quality. Wait for a few years until a cheaper and better format comes out, the way technology is moving it won't take long.

As I've said any other time I'm commented on the subject, both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray were D.O.A. The fact that companies are throwing so much support behind such a small step forward is astonishing. By the time they'd actually catch steam (or sell near as much as DVD), another 'ultimate' format is going to take their place.

alright mr. know-it-all...what 'ultimate' format will be showing up hd-dvd/blu-ray?

Eight tracks will be formatted to fit movies.

alright mr. know-it-all...what 'ultimate' format will be showing up hd-dvd/blu-ray?

Couldn't tell you. But it's become blatantly obvious that the two HD formats are not going to catch on like DVD did when it was released. R&D is already pushing the boundaries of what regular DVDs can do, so I won't be surprised to see a better, more cost-friendly alternative a few years down the road.

you guys have it wrong....here's the ultimate format!!!

16film_projector.jpg

Most consumers could care less about HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. Most are not willing to spend gratuitous amounts of money for a change in picture quality or a marginal change in sound quality. Wait for a few years until a cheaper and better format comes out, the way technology is moving it won't take long.

As I've said any other time I'm commented on the subject, both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray were D.O.A. The fact that companies are throwing so much support behind such a small step forward is astonishing. By the time they'd actually catch steam, another 'ultimate' format is going to take their place.

You can get an HD DVD player for $150. Blu Ray is still in the $200s I believe. But like I said, when I go to Electronics stores, no one is buying SD anymore. They'll be a few in the back...out of sight. Maybe those small bathroom or kitchen ones only. If they did come out with a better format, it wouldn't be cheap. For instance, there were rumors about that Chinese Ultimate player. I doubt that thing will be cheap considering what they are packing into it.

715p6q0.jpg

822wn4n.png

It's worth it IMO.

You quite easily can go about it like a complete dumbass, as you are doing now. But it's pretty obvious that the "high-definition format wars" are going to end up with regular old DVD being the winner for years to come.

[this was to DorkyFresh]

And DevilMayCry... that may be so, but DVD vs. HD format sales say it all. The average consumer is unreceptive to the new formats. Either because they're not needed or they're not wanted, who knows.

My SD DVD of 300 does NOT look blurry like that on my HDTV, what the hell?

I agree with you Xtro.

Edit: The former was taken on an HDTV. I tried watching...what was it....oh yeah...Transformers on DVD. I put it on my 32 inch Samsung in my room and it looked like crap comparatively. Some ppl can't see the difference. I'm just saying the difference is apparent...to me.

Of course the two formats werent going to be a dominant force anytime soon. Both are fairly new. It'll be years before they overtake DVD sales but that doesnt mean they are D.O.A. HD is catching on. Most major retailers are starting to only carry HD TVs. Digital programming will become the standard next year. BR prices will only go down from where they are out now. Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

715p6q0.jpg

822wn4n.png

It's worth it IMO.

IMO it's not really. I can see what's going on just fine in the top picture, and I really don't need to be able to count everyone's eyelashes. :oldrazz:

Either way, I honestly don't care for the whole HD/Blu-ray crap, as right now, that stuff is expensive and my DVDs and standard TVs work just fine. I'll change when I have no other alternatives.

Damn, I really wish technology will slow the hell down soon.

IMO it's not really. I can see what's going on just fine in the top picture, and I really don't need to be able to count everyone's eyelashes. :oldrazz:

Haha. I'm obsessed with the whole "movie theater" feel though.

Either way, I honestly don't care for the whole HD/Blu-ray crap, as right now, that stuff is expensive and my DVDs and standard TVs work just fine. I'll change when I have no other alternatives.

Damn, I really wish technology will slow the hell down soon.

I know, right? I already hear rumblings about PS4.

Of course the two formats werent going to be a dominant force anytime soon. Both are fairly new. It'll be years before they overtake DVD sales but that doesnt mean they are D.O.A. HD is catching on. Most major retailers are starting to only carry HD TVs. Digital programming will become the standard next year. BR prices will only go down from where they are out now. Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

The sales of HDTVs and HD programming becoming the standard means nothing when the sales of HD discs are still piss poor as opposed to SD discs. I can really see them catching on if the DVD format remains stagnant for the next 3-4 years and no advances are made. But I don't see that happening that way.

Neither are ever going to become the "standard". Hell, it took DVD until late '02, early '03 to finally overtake VHS. VHS, which paled in comparison to the then new format. HD discs won't become "popular" until '10, '11 if at all.

Haha. I'm obsessed with the whole "movie theater" feel though.

I know, right? I already hear rumblings about PS4.

You've gotta be friggin' kidding me. :wow:

The slowdown will happen, and likely soon if this keeps up, as there won't be anywhere left to go. You can already see this in CGI, how much more realistic can they get really? Realer than real?

You've gotta be friggin' kidding me. :wow:

The slowdown will happen, and likely soon if this keeps up, as there won't be anywhere left to go. You can already see this in CGI, how much more realistic can they get really? Realer than real?

Ultra high-definition! More definition than your eyes can handle! :cmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"