Iron Man Was this really Iron Man?

EternalMaster said:
VERY light? You're VERY wrong.

Oh, right, thanks for reminding me.:cwink:

First off, if the dialogue were like FF, this film would've never made this much money. FF had a horrible story and horrible dialogue... hence, it made a mediocre return at the box office and was generally trashed by viewers and critics. Iron Man is succeeding because it's a vastly more serious film. Not "serious" as in "it's a dark drama". More serious in that characters act like human beings, responding to situation in ways that audiences can identify with. A solid story helps to move the plot along, and because it's an action flick, there's also *gasp* action!

Like Die Hard and Lethal Weapon and Batman Begins, humor is interspersed (sp?) to show the audiences: Yes, the characters themselves realize these situations are out of the ordinary. Just like you would, they're making light of strange situations to cope with them.

First of all, don't use money as a certificate for quality. Second, I never said the dialogue was as bad as FF, I said it was as light-hearted. No scene was deemed inappropriate for a joke or one-liner. Yinsen dies, Tony remarks "My turn". Tony and Pepper supposedly have a heart-to-heart at the operation scene, it's played for laughs with buzzing sounds and heart-attacks. And why wasn't a doctor present again? Humor aside, there never was any real danger, any loss, any relief, any gravity. Tony supposedly has a change of heart, all we get is "yeah, I'll stop making weapons".

But let's focus on your idea that "every scene was a joke set up" and few scenes had any emotion or gravity to them.

Again, I never said that every scene was a joke set up, I said there was a joke in almost every scene, even inappropriate ones.

Every single minute of Stark's imprisonment had gravity to it. No one was talking about their dead parents and how grim the world is (batman, batman, batman), but Stark's fellow captive dies while talking about how he'll finally meet his family... Stark and the man discuss how Stark my have riches but that he is "poor" in friends and meaningful relationships. The lead terrorist even threatens to shove a hot coal down the co-captive's mouth. NOTHING about any of these scenes was played in a "light hearted" or "family friendly" way.

The only laugh-worthy moment in ant of the captivity scenes was during the break-out when one terrorist kills himself while trying to shoot the armor.

That whole chunk of the film ALONE disproves your ridiculous assertion, but let's continue.

The Yinsen scenes are the most unbelievable of all. Oh, the wise stranger with the accent tells us Stark has personality problems. That's not how these scenes should be written. We should have a discussion, have Tony realize what he's missing. We should see Tony longing for connection at some point, not suddenly decide it's time to hit on Pepper. Why Pepper anyway? What does she have that makes him see her differently? We never see anything other than she's available. And what does she see in him, when every other character considers him a shallow, spoiled kid? None of that there, either.

As for Yinsen's death, again, the stranger died and we get a cheesy line about how he's going to meet his family. People die here and there, why should we care about this one? There's absolutely no connection to him.

I'm sorry, but if you really do think this "disproves my ridiculous assertion", then I guess this conversation has no point. Simplistic writing like this, as much as it tries (not much, as is the case here), doesn't help making a film serious.

Stark's interaction with Potts at the party where she's wearing the dress. Stark's longing for a real relationship was played up in the scene... no humor. The awkwardness evident in Potts mannerisms might get a chuckle, but it was genuine (not comedic) awkwardness. The resolution of the scene has Potts barely knowing what to do, and Tony (now feeling awkward himself) goes to get drinks for them.

Again, this is no longing, it's simple flirting. We never see any reason why this should be different than any other of Tony's "relationships". Except that Pepper is a protagonist.

Another scene: Stark hears news of the Ten Rings terrorists storming throygh the middle east. We see his frustration build as he watches the news. Eventually he suits up and flies off. In the middle east, Ten Rings members are slaying families in the streets. Jericho missiles are destroying towns. Women and children, screaming in fear, are shoved into trucks. One son tries to run back to his father. A terrorist leader throws the boy aside and begins stomping on the father. The father is to be shot in the head... the Ten Rings member ordered to do so is clearly reluctant to shoot a defenseless man in the face. Trembling with fear, the terrorist shouts at the man to look away.

Iron Man arrives on the scene, coldly eying the events around him. Battering and blasting several Ten Rings members, he kills or critically injures them all in a violent display. Other terrorists use women and children as human shields. Iron Man lowers his arms, uses his targetting systems, and shoulder-mounted guns shoot all of the terrorists square in the foreheads.

Iron Man then gives the terrorist leader to the people of the village and flies off.

Yet again... another chunk of the movie without humor. After that, Iron Man dispatches a tank easily... so easily that audience members could get a laugh out of how awesome the scene was, but it was not light-hearted at all.

The hero acts bad-ass, nothing more, nothing less. Having violence in a film doesn't make it serious. Rambo 3 is pretty violent, is it serious too?
Oh, remind me, why were the terrorists attacking the people? I'm seriously asking, I don't remember the reason.

Stane's talk with Potts when she's trying to spy for Tony: tense moments. No humor. Stane yelling at his engineers about miniaturizing an arc light reactor: no humor. Stane's battle with Tony (minus the "how did you solve the freezing problem?"): no humor.

Stane with Pepper, a little tension, I'll give you that. Although what would Stane do? Kill her? For being in his office?

Stane yelling. Standard villain vs employee.

Final battle. A car dragging Iron Man around? That wasn't humorous? Casually asking about the freezing problem? Stane's ultra-cheesy lines? Him standing 5 feet away in front of Tony and unable to kill him? What damaged targeting system? Move your arm a little to the left, it's not like you can't do it. And a generic ray to the sky killing the bad guy? Again, no feeling of danger or urgency.

Stark's talk with the press following his return home: showed character development. Showed him questioning the morals he'd built his life around. Questioning the work of his own father. No humor.

Said it before. All we see of this big change in character is him stating he's going to stop making weapons. End of story. He could just say "I'm a moral guy now". One of the film's biggest shortcomings.

Stark himself is a playboy billionaire. He's smart, and he's arrogant. He also likes to lighten up any situation he's in. This is displayed best in the humvee scene. He can't stand the silence. He HAS to get people's attention focused on himself. But as anyone whose watched the film can see, when it's time to get serious... Tony gets serious.

Now this film may be more family friendly than Batman Begins, but that doesn't mean it IS a family friendly, light-hearted flick.

Because really, Batman Begins is more family friendly than Predator or Schindler's List. That doesn't mean BB is family friendly or light-hearted entertainment.

The problem is Tony's a playboy billionaire full-time. Almost every scene is him in his "I'm too cool for this" attitude. And this is what makes the film light-hearted. The jokes are just a part of this. No vulnerability, no feeling, no realistic characters. Just cool attitude.

Still, I enjoyed the film, it was entertaining and quite faithful. And I'm glad it's doing good, it's always nice to see a comic book film go well. But I'm not going to try and make it something it's not. It was good, but not great.

First of all, don't use money as a certificate for quality. Second, I never said the dialogue was as bad as FF, I said it was as light-hearted. No scene was deemed inappropriate for a joke or one-liner. Yinsen dies, Tony remarks "My turn". Tony and Pepper supposedly have a heart-to-heart at the operation scene, it's played for laughs with buzzing sounds and heart-attacks. And why wasn't a doctor present again? Humor aside, there never was any real danger, any loss, any relief, any gravity. Tony supposedly has a change of heart, all we get is "yeah, I'll stop making weapons".

Your the second or third person to call the line "My turn" a joke/one liner. It was more of a statement. I don't see how that can be considered as comedy.

The operating scene was never supposed to be a serious thing. That's why Tony jokes around a bit, as well as there being no Doctor around. It was a simple procedure that he only need her for because his hands were too big to unplug the old chest piece and plug in the new one. No doctor was needed because it was a simple task.

Again, I never said that every scene was a joke set up, I said there was a joke in almost every scene, even inappropriate ones.

The Yinsen scenes are the most unbelievable of all. Oh, the wise stranger with the accent tells us Stark has personality problems. That's not how these scenes should be written. We should have a discussion, have Tony realize what he's missing. We should see Tony longing for connection at some point, not suddenly decide it's time to hit on Pepper. Why Pepper anyway? What does she have that makes him see her differently? We never see anything other than she's available. And what does she see in him, when every other character considers him a shallow, spoiled kid? None of that there, either.

As for Yinsen's death, again, the stranger died and we get a cheesy line about how he's going to meet his family. People die here and there, why should we care about this one? There's absolutely no connection to him.

I don't see what was cheesy about it...this is also coming from someone who has his Avy of Spider-Man 3 of all films. It's kind of godawful to see someone who likes that film(I thought it was ok at parts, nowhere near as good as the first two) call something cheesy in another.

I'm sorry, but if you really do think this "disproves my ridiculous assertion", then I guess this conversation has no point. Simplistic writing like this, as much as it tries (not much, as is the case here), doesn't help making a film serious.

Again, this is no longing, it's simple flirting. We never see any reason why this should be different than any other of Tony's "relationships". Except that Pepper is a protagonist.

The hero acts bad-ass, nothing more, nothing less. Having violence in a film doesn't make it serious. Rambo 3 is pretty violent, is it serious too?
Oh, remind me, why were the terrorists attacking the people? I'm seriously asking, I don't remember the reason.

I won't answer that last question and I don't think anyone else should.

Honestly, do you really need an explanation why Terrorists of all people are attacking others.:huh:

Stane with Pepper, a little tension, I'll give you that. Although what would Stane do? Kill her? For being in his office?

Final battle. A car dragging Iron Man around? That wasn't humorous? Casually asking about the freezing problem? Stane's ultra-cheesy lines? Him standing 5 feet away in front of Tony and unable to kill him? What damaged targeting system? Move your arm a little to the left, it's not like you can't do it. And a generic ray to the sky killing the bad guy? Again, no feeling of danger or urgency.

The standing "5 feet" away comment...if you paid attention Stane mentions just prior that Stark took out his targeting system. You know...when Iron Man ripped out those cords from Iron Mongers back and it shows Stane's screen go down?

Said it before. All we see of this big change in character is him stating he's going to stop making weapons. End of story. He could just say "I'm a moral guy now". One of the film's biggest shortcomings.

The problem is Tony's a playboy billionaire full-time. Almost every scene is him in his "I'm too cool for this" attitude. And this is what makes the film light-hearted. The jokes are just a part of this. No vulnerability, no feeling, no realistic characters. Just cool attitude.

He has a "just cool" attitude because he's playing Tony Stark. He's not that vulnerable of a character.

Still, I enjoyed the film, it was entertaining and quite faithful. And I'm glad it's doing good, it's always nice to see a comic book film go well. But I'm not going to try and make it something it's not. It was good, but not great.

I'm glad you liked it although you seemed to have a lot of complaints about it. A few of your complaints I'll give you, but the rest I don't agree with at all and think you had to nitpick and mainly exagerate on some.

Figs said:
Your the second or third person to call the line "My turn" a joke/one liner. It was more of a statement. I don't see how that can be considered as comedy.

The operating scene was never supposed to be a serious thing. That's why Tony jokes around a bit, as well as there being no Doctor around. It was a simple procedure that he only need her for because his hands were too big to unplug the old chest piece and plug in the new one. No doctor was needed because it was a simple task.

The man is replacing the only thing that protects his heart, he himself states he could get a heart attack. How isn't that serious? Besides, as mentioned by others, the operation scene is supposed to showcase Tony's feelings. It should have been quite serious, but instead we get buzzing and jokes. And then, completely out of the blue "You're all I've got". Uhh, yeah, why exactly?

I don't see what was cheesy about it...this is also coming from someone who has his Avy of Spider-Man 3 of all films. It's kind of godawful to see someone who likes that film(I thought it was ok at parts, nowhere near as good as the first two) call something cheesy in another.

It was cheesy because we're supposed to care about somebody introduced 5 minutes ago, just because he mentioned his family while dying.

About SM3, that was below the belt, man.:cwink: And don't worry, I'm aware of its cheesy lines, too. They're not as many as people like to pretend, but they are there. Like those reporters at the end... But at least it tried to present everyday problems and relatable characters, too.

I won't answer that last question and I don't think anyone else should.

Honestly, do you really need an explanation why Terrorists of all people are attacking others.:huh:

So, you're telling me they do that because they're EVIL? And you see nothing wrong with that? Generic bad guys that act bad because they're bad? You know, there is such a thing as characters and plot, and it should apply to villains too.

The standing "5 feet" away comment...if you paid attention Stane mentions just prior that Stark took out his targeting system. You know...when Iron Man ripped out those cords from Iron Mongers back and it shows Stane's screen go down?

I did pay attention, that's why I mentioned the damaged targeting system in my post. I'm just saying, Stane tries to shoot Tony and the bullets hit somewhere to the left of his head. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that if you keep firing and move your arm to the right, you'll hit your target...

I should also note I very much enjoy the RoboCop homages. IM busting through the wall (RoboCop) and IM climbing on Iron Monger's back and ripping something out (RoboCop 2). They seem very appropriate.

He has a "just cool" attitude because he's playing Tony Stark. He's not that vulnerable of a character.

I'm not saying he should collapse every other scene. But Tony has made plenty of mistakes, has fallen in love, has been defeated and cornered in many situations and he's even been reduced to a homeless alcoholic. I don't remember him throwing witty cool remarks during those situations. Having him act like that throughout the whole movie really kills any emotion certain situations could evoke.

I'm glad you liked it although you seemed to have a lot of complaints about it. A few of your complaints I'll give you, but the rest I don't agree with at all and think you had to nitpick and mainly exagerate on some.

Why would I have to nitpick and exaggerate? Believe me, I'd love for IM to be a perfect 10 for me, why wouldn't I? Thankfully, it's much better than say, FF or Ghost Rider. But unfortunately, it's too shallow to be considered a great comic book film.

This was definitely Iron Man. A slighty reinterepted for 2008 Iron Man, but Iron Man nontheless. IRON MAN may have serious elements, but it is a much "funnier" movie than BATMAN BEGINS. It's played as such, and it's clearly intentional. And I would agree with whoever said that the dialogue in IRON MAN is about the same level as THE FANTASTIC FOUR. It's just generally executed better.

Here's my big thing about all the discussion here? Why the hell does IM have to be a dark serious film? TDK anybody? Leave IM to his own devices. The tone of the movie was just right. It wasn't as gleeful as Spider-Man, not as dramatic as Batman, it was right in a happy medium, where it should be. I think people are making assertions because it was a "fun" movie, but it wasn't a "light" movie. It didn't take itself too seriously, which I loved. It did it's best to bring the excitement and action of comics to film, mostly unadulturated, and accomplished that. I don't see why people still have to ***** about a film thats one of the great superhero flicks of all time, commercially and critically. Some people can't be satified with greatness, but only accept perfection, even though it doesn't exist.

The man is replacing the only thing that protects his heart, he himself states he could get a heart attack. How isn't that serious? Besides, as mentioned by others, the operation scene is supposed to showcase Tony's feelings. It should have been quite serious, but instead we get buzzing and jokes. And then, completely out of the blue "You're all I've got". Uhh, yeah, why exactly?

It wasn't as serious because the procedure is pretty much a quick switch like plugging a light into the wall socket. What I got from that scene was that Stark was just messing with her. When he says "Oh nothing, just going into cardiac arrest" and at the end he said something along the lines of "was that so hard?" with a smirk.

I took from that, that he was messing with her making it seem extremely serious. It wasn't like when
Stane removes his chest piece and leaves him for dead

It was cheesy because we're supposed to care about somebody introduced 5 minutes ago, just because he mentioned his family while dying.

About SM3, that was below the belt, man.:cwink: And don't worry, I'm aware of its cheesy lines, too. They're not as many as people like to pretend, but they are there. Like those reporters at the end... But at least it tried to present everyday problems and relatable characters, too.

I don't know, I guess I didn't find it cheesy. I just don't see how people expect such a small character that helped wake up Stark a bit (just like it happened in the comics) to have an hour or more of screen time to fully flesh out their background.

I found SM3 to be fun still, but as you agreed, it did have some bad cheese in it. More so than the first two.

So, you're telling me they do that because they're EVIL? And you see nothing wrong with that? Generic bad guys that act bad because they're bad? You know, there is such a thing as characters and plot, and it should apply to villains too.

It did apply to the main villain...Stane/Iron Monger. Those were terrorists, we know from real life their motives and also in the movie Raza says the obvious, that he wants his chance to rule.

They were taking control/clearing out the village for their own gains. When the one terrorist that Stark leaves to the villagers says for them to set the weapons/ammo down that should have been enough to figure out they either want to use that town as another base of operations or like I said clear it out for control.

I did pay attention, that's why I mentioned the damaged targeting system in my post. I'm just saying, Stane tries to shoot Tony and the bullets hit somewhere to the left of his head. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that if you keep firing and move your arm to the right, you'll hit your target...

That right there is what I mentioned about nitpicking. Yeah, logically he should have just moved his arm to the right but then...your hero is dead. They do stuff like that all the time in comic films and other films. When your watching a fictional film(especially based on a comic) you should allow at least a little suspension of disbelief.

I should also note I very much enjoy the RoboCop homages. IM busting through the wall (RoboCop) and IM climbing on Iron Monger's back and ripping something out (RoboCop 2). They seem very appropriate.

Same here.

I'm not saying he should collapse every other scene. But Tony has made plenty of mistakes, has fallen in love, has been defeated and cornered in many situations and he's even been reduced to a homeless alcoholic. I don't remember him throwing witty cool remarks during those situations. Having him act like that throughout the whole movie really kills any emotion certain situations could evoke.

Although your right about the things he's gone through...in just about all the Iron Man comics I've read he still has some witty remarks to whatever villain/bad guy he's fighting.

Why would I have to nitpick and exaggerate? Believe me, I'd love for IM to be a perfect 10 for me, why wouldn't I? Thankfully, it's much better than say, FF or Ghost Rider. But unfortunately, it's too shallow to be considered a great comic book film.

To each his own then.

Your welcome. lol

First of all, don't use money as a certificate for quality. Second, I never said the dialogue was as bad as FF, I said it was as light-hearted.

The FF dialogue was bad because it was ultra light hearted to the point of corniness.

No scene was deemed inappropriate for a joke or one-liner.

I answer this later in my post.

Yinsen dies, Tony remarks "My turn".

Which is neither a joke, a one-liner, or humorous in any way. Horrible example.

Tony and Pepper supposedly have a heart-to-heart at the operation scene, it's played for laughs with buzzing sounds and heart-attacks. And why wasn't a doctor present again?

THAT particular scene was played up lightly. In Die Hard 4, McClane tries to talk with his daughter, but she blows him off. It's not a movie about father-daughter drama... it's a huge action film. McClane later has a discussion about the quality of Credence Clearwater Revival. It's not a commentary film about classic rock music. It's an action movie.

If the action movie was nothing but action with no story, I guess it would be called "X-Men 3". Or if it was dark and somber 100% of the time, we'd call it "American History X". But some films mix in humor along with drama and action to make solid summer blockbuster.

And a doctor wasn't present because Tony was keeping the arc light reactor SECRET. Did miss all the parts where he wanted to avoid going to a hospital... where he was surprised Stane knew about... where he told Stane he was keeping it for himself... where Stane later said Tony was being selfish for not sharing the technology?

I believe you need to buy tickets and see it again.:woot:

Humor aside, there never was any real danger, any loss, any relief, any gravity. Tony supposedly has a change of heart, all we get is "yeah, I'll stop making weapons".

That's utter bull crap, my friend.

That's akin to saying, "There was no saddness, gravity, or sense of drama in Forrest Gump. Just outrageous situations involving a ******ed person."

What you said: Everything was a chance to crack a joke.

That implies every scene was a joke set up... allowing a chance to crack a joke.

And no, there was not a joke in almost every scene... as I pointed out later in my post you responded to. Yes, Tony the billionaire playboy made witty remarks about situations. This somehow makes the film "light hearted"?

Get outta here with that.

The Yinsen scenes are the most unbelievable of all. Oh, the wise stranger with the accent tells us Stark has personality problems. That's not how these scenes should be written. We should have a discussion, have Tony realize what he's missing.

Changing gears now are we? I prove your "everything is a chance for a joke" "light-hearted" idea to be completely false, and you switch to discussing "believability".

Believability was never an issue of discussion. Unless your claiming that the scenes were SOOOO unbelievable that you were laughing in the theater.

If that's the case, then you must have felt weird with a theater full of people looking at you like you're a fool. Because as far as I know, know one has held as similiar opinion or reaction to that as you.

But no, I doubt that was your rection. I just think you saw your initial point demolished and decided to attack the film through other means.

In any case, the Yinsen scenes played out fine in my opinion. They were not used to develop Tony's charcter... they were used to SHOW his past character to the audience. Thus far, we had only seen his playboy persona. These scenes introduced the idea that Tony does have a more somber, thoughtful side. One that does consider having a lack of true friends and family. One that isn't always making smartass remarks.

Oh, well there it is again: Tony isn't always cracking jokes. Shall we move on?

And believable or not, none of those scenes (a decent chunk of film) were family-oriented or light hearted. I'd say the film was aimed more at teens and adults in the 18 - 30 age range.

We should see Tony longing for connection at some point, not suddenly decide it's time to hit on Pepper. Why Pepper anyway? What does she have that makes him see her differently? We never see anything other than she's available. And what does she see in him, when every other character considers him a shallow, spoiled kid? None of that there, either.

1) There was no actual love story between them. She's just the closest thing to a true friend he has. When he decided to change his life around, he saw her... a dependable, intelligent woman... as a source for romance instead of just hooking up with blonde bombshells for cheap sex.

But even though Tony is trying to change, he still goes by his old methods a lot. For example, he vows to stop making weapons... but in order to purge the world of his old weapons, he creates a bigger badder weapon (his armor) to deal with the problem. Likewise, even though he decided to start looking for more meaningful relationships, when did he decide to go for Potts? When she was wearing a sexy dress.

Pepper represented what Tony THOUGHT he wanted, but it was wishful thinking. Hence we have the awkward dance floor scene. And at the end of the movie when Tony tries questions Potts about the possible romance of the evening, Potts responds with, "You mean the night you went to get me a drink and then left?"

Tony's a driven man, but like most people, he's very simple when it comes to trying achieve emotionl desires. In the past, he went after booze, women, and good times. When it comes to longing for a meaningful relationship, he picks a loyal and loving employee on the night that she happens to be dressed to kill.

2) We're not sure why Potts sees a good man in Stark. She's certainly not romantically attracted to him in any serious way (hell, she seemed to show more of an eye for the SHIELD agent at the end). But at some point, she clearly saw something good in him that made her strive to help him when he needed it. Most powerful people have a righthand man (or woman). A trusted advisor. The exact reasons for the devotion of the advisor are not always needed, but on some level, you get the idea that Potts kind of "mothers" Tony a bit.

Again though, none of this has anything to do with the movie being light hearted or fmily friendly. You're just raising new points to distract from the horrible point you originally made.

Why should we care about this one? Yinsen saved Tony's life. He also sees the good in Tony, and to try and help them both get freed, he was willing to take a hot coal to the mouth.

In the short period of time we saw, Yinsen came off as an intelligent, resourceful, and brave man. The revelation tht his family was already dead and that he WOULD get to see them again was pretty cool. I wouldn't say it was the greatest death scene ever, but it was solid... and certinly not typical action genre cheese.

Then again, let me remind you, your initial point was that this was a film that cracks a joke at every chance. Your like or dislike of Yinsen's death scene is... again... you trying to distract us from the fact that your initial point was decimated.

So for a film to be "serious", it has to be "complex"? I'd love to see the dictionary you use to come up with this stuff.

You suffer from some level of "movie snobbery". You think if you can find ways to trash talk the "simplicity" of a movie that appeals to the masses, that you somehow prove yourself to be a cultured and well educated individual.

Instead, you come off as narrow-minded and elitist. Not every film has to be Oscar-worthy to be "serious". Not every film has to be "dark" to be serious.

And sometimes, a simple, straightforward story done well can be more finely crafted than overly complex, self-important pieces of cinema.

This conversation truly has no point if you can't understand that.

It's not longing... because it's simple flirting? (sidenote: he's again diverting your attention from the fact that all my post was aimed at proving the movie wasn't just a light-hearted family-friendly jokefest).

To get "longing" across to you, did the scene require that Tony cry? Or compose a sonnet? Or vow his love to her while rain falls in the background?

He's flirting with HER because he's longing for a more meaningful relationship. Typically, people in real life will *gasp* flirt or even TALK with people they interested in.

But as I explained earlier, this was all part of Tony not knowing how to get what he desired. He saw Potts as being very different from all his shallow women and shallow relationships in the past. But breaking from movie cliches both in romance and in action, Favreau shows us that Tony isn't going to fall in love with his ever-loyal assistant who has always been there for him. They may have a loving relationship, but no true romantic love exists there... which leads to awkwardness of him wanting to dance and trying for a kiss.

And the point is further hammered home when Potts later reminds him that he left her there without warning after saying he'd go get drinks.

Or maybe the "simplicity" of the scene shot right over your head?

Nor does the ocassional joke in an action movie make the film a comedy or light-hearted. Violent scenes alone kind of kill the idea that the film is light-hearted. Nor is it family friendly.

But at no point did I hinge the seriousness of the film 100% on it's action. Sounds like you are (again) throwing up new points to veer away from your first disasterous attempt at making one.

One good reason would be that they are members of an organization with the goal of taking over the region. Yinsen mentioned that there were people in the organization speaking more languages than even he knew. It was an organization spread out across the middle east and asia from what we can gather. And Raza (the main leader) mentions desiring weapons for conquest.

We later see on the news clips that the Ten Rings are in fact taking over villages and towns.

For the purpose of THIS film (the Ten Rings will likely be expanded on in the sequel), they served as a modern day threat (terrorists) to capture Stark and demand he build a weapon, giving him motivation to build his first armor. In the comics, I believe he was captured in Vietnam, seeing as how the Vietnam War was the main issue of the day.

I didn't realize though that the motivations of terrorists played a key part in whether a film is "serious" or "light-hearted family fun".

I guess if the terrorists sang songs and were part of a Disney movie, you'd have a point. When the terrorists kill women and children, raze villages to the ground, and kill Americn soldiers... well, that tends to support my point of view.

So "standard" = "every chance to crack a joke"? Or does standard = light-hearted comedy?

This is getting ridiculous how much you're steering away from the initial point.

Final battle. A car dragging Iron Man around? That wasn't humorous?

WTF? Did you find that stuff funny?

Casually asking about the freezing problem?

Yes, one moment of levity in the action scene. OMG! It's a ****ing comedy!!!!!

The wittiness of the remark stems from Tony's own *****ure attitude. He out-smarted his opponent, and he couldn't help but rub it in when given the chance.

Hint: sometimes in real life, real people do the same thing. This scene wasn't exactly forced or rammed home for pure comedy.

Stane's ultra-cheesy lines?

In your opinion.

Him standing 5 feet away in front of Tony and unable to kill him? What damaged targeting system? Move your arm a little to the left, it's not like you can't do it.

Did you notice the size of Stane's armor? His arm isn't inside the suit's arm. He controls the suit through the chest and shoulder cavity. The targetting systems (as also seen in Tony's armor) allow the armor to do what the user wishes. Without the systems working, Stane had little control over his aim.

Were you even paying attention? And again, none of this reflects on jokes or this film being light-hearted and family oriented.

And a generic ray to the sky killing the bad guy? Again, no feeling of danger or urgency.

L. O. L. Please, sir. This level of ignorant snobbery is ridiculous.

Sure it is. You're now just making baseless, general accusations in an attempt to look the opposite of wrong.

But I'm not going to try and make it something it's not.

That's pretty much all you've done.

I too think it was good, but not great (maybe great as far as a comic movie goes). Unlike you, I don't toss out crap points with no basis. I also don't label action blockbusters as joke fests or light-hearted. Certainly not as family friendly.

But don't expect a further response from me (towards you) in this topic. As you said earlier, there's no point to further conversation. Not when I and others see things for the way they are, and you and others skew events into what you want to see.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but anyway: Why was the Mark II suit in silver? In the comics, it's golden.

Figs said:
To each his own then.

Right. I guess we both said our bit, so no point in dragging this conversation. Nice talking with you man.

EternalMaster said:
Your welcome. lol

I'm keeping this quote, as it's the friendliest in your post. I don't want to start a "fight", or whatever these internet discussions usually turn into.

About the Yinsen scenes, my "unbelievable" comment was meant as in "I can't believe they thought we'd fall for that", not that they were realistically improbable. I described that in my post. I disagree with some of your other observations, but I see no reason in responding to them, unless you want me to.

Apart from that, I just want to clarify something. I think you took my "every scene was a chance to crack a joke" a little too literally. In fact, the whole quote was

Everything was a chance to crack a joke, not many scenes had real gravity or emotion to them. It was an entertaining film, but that doesn't mean it was deep and serious.

So, you see, it wasn't the jokes themselves I was pointing out. My problem with the film is that it was a little flat, with little emotion. Generally, it was Stark acting cool, which included most of the jokes. That gave the film a fun tone, which combined with the generally not-so-deep dialogue kept the film light-hearted.

Now obviously, you found that this tone is appropriate (although you seem to dislike the term light-hearted, which is not even derogatory). That doesn't mean you have to see me as "that stubborn, annoying internet guy" and make me look as a plotting, hostile %*&!*. We're both here to discuss comic book stuff, and in this case comic book film stuff. If you don't find this enjoyable, just say so without insulting anyone.

As Leonidas put it, "there's no reason we can't be civil, right"?

I think you guys are starting to get childish now. The very fact that you are attacking FNspidey for making legitimate points is crazy. There is nothing BAD about a light film. A light film can have dark elements to it but overall it is a light film.
Accept that the movie made loads of cash because it appeals to many demographics. That's a GOOD thing and is a triumph. TDK and BB can't appeal to all demographics as they are a lot of kids or families that will not be drawn to the character of Batman.

Be happy with Iron Man's success and accept that it is a family light-hearted film with a charismatic comedy guy who did great as the actor. Please, accept it and move on.

p.s. If anyone even DARES compare IM to Superman 78, then I can't even have a proper conversation with you. There is only one GREAT comic book movie and no other has come close.

I think you guys are starting to get childish now. The very fact that you are attacking FNspidey for making legitimate points is crazy. There is nothing BAD about a light film. A light film can have dark elements to it but overall it is a light film.
Accept that the movie made loads of cash because it appeals to many demographics. That's a GOOD thing and is a triumph. TDK and BB can't appeal to all demographics as they are a lot of kids or families that will not be drawn to the character of Batman.

Be happy with Iron Man's success and accept that it is a family light-hearted film with a charismatic comedy guy who did great as the actor. Please, accept it and move on.

p.s. If anyone even DARES compare IM to Superman 78, then I can't even have a proper conversation with you. There is only one GREAT comic book movie and no other has come close.

By keep emphasizing that IM is a "family light-hearted film", you are really trying to say that IM has no serious tone, when in fact we have pointed it out to you that IM has in many scenes. IM has its lighter moments, but it also have darker, more adult themes that aren't catered to family or kids. It's not a "family" film like Spider-man, which also has its moments of death and darkness.

As for Superman 78, not everyone held it on a pedestal like you do.

About the Superman 78 movie,IMO I have a feeling that you're only saying that because it was the first comic book movie to be made. I think it's a terrible excuse for you to have so you can praise it.

I think this is a very good adaptation of the comic book.

About the Superman 78 movie,IMO I have a feeling that you're only saying that because it was the first comic book movie to be made. I think it's a terrible excuse for you to have so you can praise it.

I was 6 years old when I first saw Superman. After the end scenes all I could say was bull*****. True story. It was good until that, but it didn't come close to Spidey 2, X2, or Iron Man.

hi guys im still kinda new and i was wondering how many posts u need to get an avatar

You need exactly 123, no more, no less. Sorry dude, you missed your shot.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but anyway: Why was the Mark II suit in silver? In the comics, it's golden.

The gold armor was paid hommage to when Jarvis pulls up a mock re-design using the gold/titanium alloy to prevent the icing issue. You see the suit in pure gold until Tony says "why don't you throw a little hot-rod red in there."

I don't mean to sound presumptuous walking into an eight page thread, but once a discussion gets to the point where banter stops and its just a few users quoting and disecting giant walls of text, the whole point really has been lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"