What is the craziest DC comics movie you'd like to see get made?

The Face

Civilian
Reaction score
Currently the DCCU seems to be looking to interpret the beloved DC universe in a grounded and realistic way. Toning down anything that could be construed as campy with realism and grittiness.
:csad:
We have yet to see how this works or if it does but for the DC comics fans who relish the insanity, the craziness, the pulpiness, the rich mythos drawn from decades of history, the over-the-top nature of the DC comics universe this comes as a big disapointment.
So the question I pose is this: If you could see any DC comics hero or group get adapted who would it be and how would you like to see it done?
For example I'd like to realize 'The Question' as a hyper-stylized Neo-Noir, something like 'Sin City' but not quite as gritty and graphic. It'd be shot in black&white except for the Question's signature blue fedora and hat.
:jd:
I'd also love to adapt 'Adam Strange' as a crazy space adventure, in tone with the old Flash Gordon film and the recent John Carter movie (both of which the original comic drew inspiration from by the way). It'd have a light slightly campy tone and a bright and cheerful colour pallete.
:applaud
What are some of your ideas? Go wild! Don't be restrained by how likely the film is to be made or how obscure the property is.

I think the Flash movie should be the craziest DC comics movie ever made.

Lobo and Metal Men are the craziest DC movie options, if either gets made.

Doom Patrol - from the Grant Morrison era, done as a TV series.

Starting with the Painting that Ate Paris and the Brotherhood of Dada.

Also, a lot of Gaiman's Sandman would be pretty trippy - although I know it's long been considered a must for adaptation (again, I think as a TV series ! )

Cheers.

Currently the DCCU seems to be looking to interpret the beloved DC universe in a grounded and realistic way. Toning down anything that could be construed as campy with realism and grittiness.
:csad:
We have yet to see how this works or if it does but for the DC comics fans who relish the insanity, the craziness, the pulpiness, the rich mythos drawn from decades of history, the over-the-top nature of the DC comics universe this comes as a big disapointment.
So the question I pose is this: If you could see any DC comics hero or group get adapted who would it be and how would you like to see it done?
For example I'd like to realize 'The Question' as a hyper-stylized Neo-Noir, something like 'Sin City' but not quite as gritty and graphic. It'd be shot in black&white except for the Question's signature blue fedora and hat.
:jd:
I'd also love to adapt 'Adam Strange' as a crazy space adventure, in tone with the old Flash Gordon film and the recent John Carter movie (both of which the original comic drew inspiration from by the way). It'd have a light slightly campy tone and a bright and cheerful colour pallete.
:applaud
What are some of your ideas? Go wild! Don't be restrained by how likely the film is to be made or how obscure the property is.

First off... Yes, I too think you could do an amazing ADAM STRANGE film these days. Make it INDIANA JONES in space, that is, make the gadgets and alien tech less important than Adam's moxy and ability to improvise. Make it stylish and hum at a good pace. And yes I want ole Vic to be on screen but I don't think the Question is best served on the big screen in a theatrical film. Make it a Netflix or HBO style series and then we are talking.

Secondly... I disagree with the premise of your post though. The ONE film we have seen in in this extended universe while indeed being gritty, with a grounded tone... It still started off on an alien planet where the protagonist's father was flying around on a space dragon. The main character is STILL a totally human looking alien which has super powers, not least of which is flight and the ability to look through solid objects when he's not melting them with beams of heat.

Upcoming as part of this universe we have a film where a woman with a split personality has magical powers, in that same film is a permanently bleached killer clown and a character called CAPTAIN BOOMERANG. We also still have films coming about an Amazon Warrior princess that is the daughter of Zeus, a CSI that gets hit by a bolt of lightning and gains super speed along with the existence in this film series of a universe spanning corps of aliens each empowered by a tiny green ring that makes energy constructs that are shaped by it's wielders mind and will.

So... We got magic, myth, aliens and I am guessing things like advanced fantasy robotics, cybernetics, interdimensional creature and all the rest are a go too. Verisimilitude is not the same as 100% realism or the rejection of fantasy. Silly can be in the eye of the beholder. GL and Flash could both come off as silly to some. I wouldn't be one of them but there are those out there that would think that.

How's about we wait to see the next three releases from WB/DC before we make some blanket statements about what is and is not going to be in this DCEU. For all you know after JL1&2 we will get things like Adam Strange or Challengers Of The Unknown, or Rip Hunter or Hawk & Dove, or Dial H, or who knows what?

Peter Allan David's Young Justice, complete with ADHD Impulse, a Superboy who occasionally sneaks in Peter Pan quotes after compensating for his literal inability to grow up and can't stop referencing how his powers work, Wondergirl as a developing character going from fan girl to leader, and Tim Drake as Robin.

Vincenzo Natali directing Arkham Asylum: A Serious House in a Serious Earth.

A Hawkman/Hawkgirl movie starting in ancient Egypt and showing them reincarnated over and over again throughout the ages.

An easter egg in the Hawkman movie would be the introduction of the Orb of Ra.

Then there would be a Metamorpho movie that begins with his attempt to acquire the Orb of Ra.

Basically, I want a series of movies that use the whole ancient egypt + magic + aliens stuff in the DC universe.

I'd love to see The Metal Men, Doom Patrol, & Hawkman. Those would be some of the wackiest films to be done.

Doom Patrol - from the Grant Morrison era, done as a TV series.

Starting with the Painting that Ate Paris and the Brotherhood of Dada.

I'd love to see The Metal Men, Doom Patrol, & Hawkma. Those would be some of the wackiest films to be done.
:up::up: oh HELL YEAH!! i would give my Xmen collection to see a DOOM PATROL FLICK(well the reprints anyway!!)
"the Painting that ate Paris" is like one of my best book ever! i freaking loveeee DP!!

A Hawkman/Hawkgirl movie starting in ancient Egypt and showing them reincarnated over and over again throughout the ages.

Then there would be a Metamorpho movie that begins with his attempt to acquire the Orb of Ra.

Basically, I want a series of movies that use the whole ancient egypt + magic + aliens stuff in the DC universe.

Yeah, throw in Wonder Woman and Black Adam and make it a historical epic within the DCEU.

:db: I'd pay every red cent I had to see that happen!

Rip Hunter. Make it totally a cross between Indiana Jones and The Rocketeer

Larfleeze's Christmas. It won't happen, even as an animated film, but it would be hilarious.

Kingdom Come. Or with GoT's popularity, Alan Moore's outline for Twilight of the Superheroes.

To all who said Morrison's Doom Patrol, I wholeheartedly agree. That would make a really unique movie.

Last edited:
As larger than life Wonder Woman or Aquaman could be, I believe Hawkman is a character that could result in THE craziest superhero film, positively speaking. No other single DC character may top that. Only B vs S, Justice League or another form of team-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"