Best Zombie Movie of All Time?!

Léo Ho Tep;24472533 said:
I don't hate seeing these movies here. but I like to differentiate zombies and infected people, since zombies are living dead, and infected people never died, but are more ill people.

Also, since night of the living dead, zombies usually eat human flesh, unlike infected people, who are only killing.

That said, I liked the first Rec, but thought the second installment was boring, which is a shame, considering how short it is. The whole segment with the team of young people was uninteresting, and brought nothing to the table.

Well 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, and (presumably) Rec 1 & 2, while not having to to do with the walking dead, are still considered by my many (in some cases including their creators) to be zombie movies. Thus I don't mind seeing them listed here.

As I had written earlier, either here or on a similar thread (I don't remember which), "28 Days Later is a zombie film without any actual zombies in it."

28 Days Later

Diary of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead (original) are up there too.

I just saw World War Z today and I gotta say. It's strange to me that even after 50+ years of zombie movies this average one comes out and it's still one of the best i've ever seen.

Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead get honorable mentions.

Still don't think I've seen one that comes especially close to 28 Days Later.'

I think the REC films are pretty awesome, but they aren't really 'zombie' movies, they're more demon movies. The inferior American counterpart Quarantine is definitely a zombie movie.

Didn't like WWZ that much. Great action and pace but its just not a horror movie.

For me its still Night and Dawn. There have been some major changes at the Monroeville Mall but you can still see some of the great areas used in Dawn. I make sure to go to that mall any and every time I go to Pittsburgh.

If we're counting 28 Days, then that's up there for me too.

Also want to mention Plague of the Zombies by Hammer. Most of you guys would hate it but its an old school zombie movie. More slave/ voodoo zombies than anything else.

For me it's a toss up. My three favorites are the original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, then Fulci's film simply titled Zombi. Funny enough I'm in the theater waiting for WWZ to start.

While Dawn of the Dead remains one of my favorite films for several reasons (chiefly among them being the local connection - and it pains me the Zombie Museum closed-) I will say the original night. The lighting and design is unrivaled; my only complaint was that Barbara was a useless character (and it connects to the 'scream-queen' connection,) but, that is nitpicking on a highly successful first film.

28 Days/Weeks should never be mentioned as zombie movies. That's just like calling King Kong a dinosaur movie or mentioning it during a Jurassic Park topic.

Anyway, Day of the Dead '85 is the best zombie movie. Nobody has come close to the sfx that Tom Savini did, even with today's technology.

WWZ was a good one, the running and tackling zombies are the reason it comes down a notch, still better than most other zombie movies out there.

Original Dawn of the Dead
The Return of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
WWZ
Shaun of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Versus
Zombieland
28 Weeks Later

28 Days/Weeks should never be mentioned as zombie movies. That's just like calling King Kong a dinosaur movie or mentioning it during a Jurassic Park topic.

Call them infected but they're basically zombies in all but name.

The whole intent behind 28 Days Later was to reinvent the zombie genre.

To quote Jeffrey Lebowski; that's just like, your opinion, man.

And you know what they say about opinions.

I absolutely think 28 Days is a zombie movie through and through. And I absolutely think it's the best damn zombie movie I've ever seen. So I could care less about your zombie litmus test or splitting-hair semantics.

Zombieland.

..Hm. I'm suddenly in the mood for some Twinkies.

Also Infected I think so maybe not technically zombies and worse it's not even a film, but so far I think "The Last of Us" is a great "Zombie Movie" kind of experience and recommend it to any fans of the genre.

That's difficult. I'll name some of my favorites in no particular order.

Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead (Snyder)
Dead Alive
Zombieland
Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
World War Z

I didn't see this mentioned, but did anyone see "The Dead", which I think came out last year? I think it was direct to video, or at the very least, a smaller, indie film set in Africa.

This movie...wow, it was chilling and utterly exhausting. Full of silent, very slow zombies that felt like walking corpses. There were very few shots in the movie where you didn't see the dead shambling in the background. There was very little music, and most of the movie was eerily, unsettlingly quiet. It seemed like the characters couldn't stop for more than a few moments before you saw zombies coming their way.

The way the entire thing was filmed, it had this great effect on the viewer. You felt as exhausted and worn out as they did by the end. I was really shocked, but it's one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen.

With that said, I absolutely love when a movie can show the outbreak and get across that chilling sense of panic and hopelessness of being overrun. The first 10 minutes of the Dawn of the Dead remake were masterful in this, I think. I like slow and fast zombies, so this didn't bother me, but that intro was absolutely horrific in all the right ways. And I know it's not the best movie (or really a zombie movie), but 28 Weeks I thought did a great job of the virus breaking out again. The panic and chaos and being stuck inside with no way out, followed by the military trying to contain the outbreak as everyone ran out of the building. It was great.

Last edited:
I didn't see this mentioned, but did anyone see "The Dead", which I think came out last year? I think it was direct to video, or at the very least, a smaller, indie film set in Africa.

This movie...wow, it was chilling and utterly exhausting. Full of silent, very slow zombies that felt like walking corpses. There were very few shots in the movie where you didn't see the dead shambling in the background. There was very little music, and most of the movie was eerily, unsettlingly quiet. It seemed like the characters couldn't stop for more than a few moments before you saw zombies coming their way.

The way the entire thing was filmed, it had this great effect on the viewer. You felt as exhausted and worn out as they did by the end. I was really shocked, but it's one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen.

With that said, I absolutely love when a movie can show the outbreak and get across that chilling sense of panic and hopelessness of being overrun. The first 10 minutes of the Dawn of the Dead remake were masterful in this, I think. I like slow and fast zombies, so this didn't bother me, but that intro was absolutely horrific in all the right ways. And I know it's not the best movie (or really a zombie movie), but 28 Weeks I thought did a great job of the virus breaking out again. The panic and chaos and being stuck inside with no way out, followed by the military trying to contain the outbreak as everyone ran out of the building. It was great.
Good call. I actually think its the best looking zombie film I've ever seen and those crusty, dusty zombie are right out of Zombie.

Really not getting enough love is The Reanimator. One of my top 3.

Also wanted to throw out a mention for Frankensteins Army with Frankenstein making zombie robots for Hitler.

The Dead was pretty boring, plus they're shooting in Africa with these vast landscapes and they decided to go with 1.85:1 instead of 2.35:1 aspect ratio? That was a big missed opportunity. I know it was really low budget, but still. Also I don't think a white guy should have been the lead.

As for other zombie movies; I love Shaun of the Dead, I think Survival of the Dead is pretty underrated, and ParaNorman was a pretty wonderful.

These are some other pretty good ones too.

Black Sheep (zombie sheep are still zombies) was pretty fun; Exit Humanity, is well made and pretty interesting, but kinda slow; Pontypool was pretty good, I'd say it fits into the zombie mold. Deadgirl is a really interesting zombie movie, if you haven't seen it look it up, I'll only do a **** job describing it.

The Horde and Mutants are two pretty decent French ones worth a checking out. Rammbock: Berlin Undead is is German one, nice and short.

I liked I Sell the Dead, it was a decent low budget horror/comedy; Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, it's a Troma movie, and possibly Lloyd Kaufman's magnum opus. The Revenant is another really great and fun little movie, kinda straddles the line on whether it should be considered a zombie movie.

Also, Warm Bodies isn't really all that bad, it's pretty funny actually.

Last edited:
Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland are the only two zombie flicks I can stomach. To be honest I am not a big zombie fan so probably why the only two I like are more comedy than zombie film.

I must compile lists for this thread. So many good, bad, awesomely good/bad zombie movies. :up:

Warm Bodies
28 Days Later
Zombieland
Dawn Of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead (Snyder)
Resident Evil

haven't read the thread has anyone mentioned the return of the living dead series.

Zombieland.

..Hm. I'm suddenly in the mood for some Twinkies.

Middle of July baby! They're back.

I don't find slow zombies scary at all. I don't see the horror in them at all, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead. Any of the Deads don't scare me in the slightest nor do I find the concept scary. But 28 Days Later is terrifying, things as fast as they are coming to eat me. Man that's scary. World War Z took that to the next level and it was so huge and epic. In saying all of that

Shaun of the Dead

My favorite zombie movies in no order(possibly a little alphabetic but that may be it)

• 28 Days Later (it's a zombie movie, anyone thinking otherwise is just naive)
  • Dawn of the Dead (Original)
  • Day of the Dead (Original)
  • Dance of the Dead
  • Warm Bodies
  • Zombieland
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • DeadAlive
  • City of the Living Dead
  • Fido
  • REC [2]
  • ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction
  • Last of the Living
  • Night of the Comet
  • Night of the Creeps (though this is more alien maybe)
  • Planet Terror
  • Prince of Darkness
  • Zombie Prom (Short based on musical, stars RuPaul; director tutelage by Wes Craven)

• Honorable Mention - ParaNorman (It was more than just zombies)

Some good quality ones I enjoy watching also in no particular order

• REC series
  • Quarantine
  • 28 Weeks Later
  • Resident Evil series
  • Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
  • Zombie Strippers
  • Return of the Living Dead series
  • Automaton Transfusion
  • The Beyond
  • Zombi
  • Boy Eats Girl
  • Dead & Breakfast
  • Dead Heat
  • Diary of the Dead
  • FleshEater
  • Apocalypse of the Dead
  • Land of the Dead
  • Hell of the Living Dead
  • House by the Cemetary
  • My Boyfriend's Back
  • Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
  • Mortuary
  • Nightmare City
  • Pet Sematary
  • Undead
  • Zombie Apocalypse (One of the better movies to come from Asylum)
  • Bellamorte Bellamore
  • Sars Wars
  • Night of the Living Dead (90's remake)

My guilty pleasures

• Day of the Dead (Remake)
  • House of the Dead 2: Contagion
  • Flight of the Living Dead
  • Nudist Colony of the Dead
  • Pet Sematary 2
  • Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!

Worst zombie movies

• House of the Dead
  • The Crypt
  • Dead & Deader
  • Night of the Living Dead 3d series