• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What was the last movie you watched? Part 2

Now that I know the director of this also directed Drive My Car, which I've heard nothing but great things about, I even more want to watch that movie.

Seek that out as well as Happy Hour and Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy. He's 4/4 in my book. A remarkable talent.

rhFfC1M83zdjBsDvGBsdKK0sKFN.jpg
szrY6NhfuLAl3tgL6XtYKaRvVN.jpg
w3I4ZrVCiCRPvbIceIsUqlnuQHx.jpg

Godzilla Minus One

0bhXfNL.jpeg

An excellent Godzilla flick. I really enjoyed the concept here, in which the total focus was on the characters. I don't even remember the characters from the last Hollywood Godzilla flicks, such a contrast to this offering. And we get to follow the main character here all the way through from his various experiences .

When he decided to fly in the final fighting scenes against Godzilla, I was certain he would do a kamikaze mission. Obviously to ease his consciousness about that moral dilemma (regardless what we think about that horrific war strategy today). And they managed to tease that, but luckily he survived.

Also liked how we sadly could watch the destruction that Japan (of course like many countries) had suffered at the end of the war, even before the monster entered. This actually managed to feel like an over all great combination of late WWII drama movie with obvious traumas, combined with a classic Godzilla destruction flick.

hellraiser-inferno-poster.jpg

Hellraiser: Inferno (2000)

Who knew Scott Derrickson would turn out to be one of the most interesting voices in modern horror filmmaking? I certainly would've never guessed, based on this pooptastic fifth entry in the incoherent mess that is the Hellraiser series.

I'm getting worried. There are five sequels left, and these things are consistently turning out worse than their predecessors. What on god's green earth is coming up next?

GHOSTS OF WAR (2020) Starring Brenton Thwaites, Kyle Gallner, Alan Ritchson, Theo Rossi, Billy Zane, Shaun Toub.

I didn't take a good look at the poster before watching.....so what I thought was a low budget WWII movie turned into a Low budget WWII in a haunted house/sci fi thriller. Five American G.I.s are told to set up a watch post in an abandoned chalet in the French countryside. That's when things start getting weird. It has some suspense and chills, a few gross out effects and a crazy twist ending. Something that doesn't effect the movie plot but added to my off kilter sense of genre fandom was having so many superhero related actors in the cast, There is Robin/Nightwing (Thwaites) from TITANS, Barry Allen/Flash (Gallner) from SMALLVILLE, Hank Hall/Hawk (Ritchson) from TITANS, Kit Walker/Phantom (Zane) from THE PHANTOM, and the man who helped create Iron Man in a cave from a box of scraps, Dr. Yinsen (Toub) from IRON MAN.
1715751852874.png

MV5BNWZjYWI5MmItZTcxYS00MTY2LWE4NDEtZjJmYzc2N2E2M2I5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU3OTMxNzI._V1_.jpg

The Sadness (2021)

Admittedly, this level of gore is a bit much for me, I'm more of a Friday the 13th kind of guy. Still, I can appreciate how well-realized all the horrible kills and torturous sequences in this are. Some of it looks real, but most of it has an element of camp in it, which helps.

What elevates The Sadness for me over swill like the Terrifier films are the higher production values. There's beauty to the cinematography (...sometimes) and the score is excellent. This thing having a screenplay is also nice, even if its emphasis on sexual assault is just unnecessary shock value on top of the violence. Big props to the hilariously over-the-top end credits.

I wouldn't watch The Sadness again, but there was some unhinged, vomitive fun to be had.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"