• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What was the last movie you watched? Part 2

vaZ3vj6.png

ZjBNABj.png

GliNDCM.png

inland-empire-md-web.jpg

Inland Empire (2006)

A hard nut to crack, certainly the hardest in Lynch's already mystifying filmography. Earlier this year, I experienced a full 180 with Eyes Wide Shut and Drive My Car and found myself really falling in love with these films I had a harsh reaction to several years ago. I was hoping for a similar rewatch with Inland Empire..

I can't say that would've happened, but I did enjoy the film a lot more this time around. Perhaps the new remaster helped, but this time I was able to appreciate the cinematography and what Lynch was able to achieve with a digital camera. It adds a lot to the mood and dreamlike quality of the film. Sometimes the imagery is as beautiful as anything Lynch has shot, and other times it resembles a shoddy home video. It works surprisingly well.

The score is excellent as well, as are all the versatile needle drops, including a certified banger of a song by David Lynch himself, set to one of my favorite sequences in the film.

The story itself is difficult to follow, and a considerable amount of its mysteries and eccentricities are left open to interpretation, a Lynch staple but somewhat frustrating in this particular project. Inland Empire of all of his works revels in chaos and dream logic, and if there is any cohesion to it, I don't think Lynch himself much cares to uncover it, if he even has all the answers. There's great beauty to filmmaking like this, even if it isn't the easiest to approach and takes a great deal of patience and suspense of disbelief from the viewer.

What I would give to have a new Lynch project in the pipeline...

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

Michael Myers does not jog when he's chasing people! It looks stupid! I'm not sure director Joe Chappelle had even seen another Halloween movie! The acting and story aren't great, and several scenes have a definite MTV look. At least the kills are a step up from the previous two installments, and it's poignant seeing Donald Pleasence trying his best in one of his very last film appearances (the film was shot in 1994 and he died in February 1995; the movie is dedicated to him).

INTIMATE STRANGERS (1977)
1715972433855.png1715972463904.png

I believe this is was among the first TV movies to deal exclusively with the subject of domestic violence .

Starring Sally Struthers ( All In The Family), Dennis Weaver ( McCloud), Tyne Daly ( Cagney and Lacy ), Larry Hagman ( Dallas), Quinn Cummings ( The Goodbye Girl), and
Brian Andrews ( Halloween).

MV5BYWJkY2Q4NmYtOGRlMi00YTg5LWE2ZmQtY2NkYzk3YTRmNWZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY3ODkyNDkz._V1_.jpg

Madame Web (2024)

Unintentionally hilarious gobbledygook from beginning to end. This thing was clearly skewered in the edit, probably multiple times. It brings both Elektra and Catwoman to mind, but in the best way possible. I was entertained.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"