Batman Begins What was the point of fighting Ra's on the monorail?

He wanted to show Ra's he made himself more than just a man and devoted himself to an ideal and that he wasn't gonna let anyone stop him.

In other words, he showed Ra's he became a legend.

drastic_quench said:
If "screwdriver" is comic book fan slang for "Ra's broken cane sword" then you're right.

LOL, I laughed a while at this one :D

the_narc_2000 said:
Maybe I missed the explanation, but why did Batman go after Ra's instead of driving the Batmobile himself to the Wayne building to blow up the monorail supports? Was he there just to make sure he didn't make a premature departure?

The plan was to stop Ra's from ever LOADING the train (Thats what he tell Gordon before handing over the 'keys' to the batmobile). Blowing the rail was a fallback incase he died doing it. He simply wanted to cover his ash - lets not forget there are more than one monorail track to Wayne Towers; Batman would have to blow them all up since he wouldnt know which track Ra's was taking.

Once failing to stop the loading of the train, and since it was on it's way he jammed the controls to keep it from stopping because incase Gordon didn't blow the track in time he would simply plow the train, device, himself and Ra's INTO Wayne Tower thus destroying the Emitter...and himself....in the process.

Comic Book Boy said:
....No...I think that is a weak analogy. Not what the film makers intended. You can make that analogy in almost every film but I don't like it.

Ok......you must be right then.;)

Something I didn`t get: if Ra`s men are already having alluconigene powder thrown in the water to make Gotham`s citizen got nuts, what do they need the machine for?

Because it must be inhaled through the LUNGS to work. The machine will turn the water into a gas, thus making it possible to enter the lungs.

Nope. Batman does it, and Ra's doesn't see it.

How can he not see it? The two are right on top of each other. It looks for all the world to me like Ra's bashes him in the head, and while Batman is momentarily stunned, uses the cane himself.

Don't you remember when Ra's looked at Batman and said, "You can't stop this train now." Batman's response was, "Who said anything about stopping it?" Then Ra's looked back and noticed the controls were shot.

Trust me on this.

When Ra's says "you can't stop this train", it's in part because he's choking him and has the upper hand, and in part because he himself prevented it from being stopped by screwing up the controls. After Batman breaks Ra's sword in two and kicks him backward, he goes to the front of the car to stop the train. Ra's, seeing him do this, uses the piece of the jagged cane he's still holding to either hit or stab Batman in the back, and sends Batman off balance for a second. Ra's then uses the cane to jab at the controls, lodging it there, and resumes his attack on Batman. When Batman says "Who said anything about stopping it", he's referring to the fact that he doesn't have to because of his backup plan with Gordon. Yes, Ra's looks up and you see the controls that he shot out (this is a plot device to remind the audience that the cane in the controls thing happened, so that the audience knows the train is going to keep going). Then Ra's notices that the track itself is falling to pieces. And realizes what Batman is talking about. This momentary shock gives Batman the edge to gain the advantage.

TempleFugit said:
Did anyone notice the monorail when Bruce was little, and then how it looked when Rachel was on there, right before she was attacked?

At first, it was beautiful, now it's ugly and old, and full of graffiti.

The monorail symobolizes what Gotham USED TO BE before Thomas Wayne was killed, and now that Gotham's father is gone, the city is lost and hopeless.

Thomas Wayne is God.
Bruce Wayne is Jesus.
Gotham City is the Earth.

God created the Earth, and now that he is gone, Jesus has returned to save the people from its evil corruption.

or....

Thomas Wayne created Gotham City, and now that he is dead, Bruce Wayne has returned to save the people from its evil corruption.

The monorail train is just a symbolism of that corruption, and to show that Gotham was once beautiful, and now it isn't.

And the point of it crashing is a symbol of Gotham starting over again from scratch. A new, nicer monorail would be built, and the finale is a way of "letting the past go." Starting over again. The monorail basically symbollizes GOTHAM CITY ITSELF.

...and it's a way of letting Bruce let go, as well.

All kinds of things symbolize that.

- The monorail
- The mansion burning down
- The stethoscope

All these things are destroyed in the end, and they all have to do with his father. Now.....the past is gone, and his NEW life can begin.

"A thing of Beauty is a joy fovever."

Great post!

The Guard said:
How can he not see it? The two are right on top of each other. It looks for all the world to me like Ra's bashes him in the head, and while Batman is momentarily stunned, uses the cane himself.

Trust me on this.

When Ra's says "you can't stop this train", it's in part because he's choking him and has the upper hand, and in part because he himself prevented it from being stopped by screwing up the controls. After Batman breaks Ra's sword in two and kicks him backward, he goes to the front of the car to stop the train. Ra's, seeing him do this, uses the piece of the jagged cane he's still holding to either hit or stab Batman in the back, and sends Batman off balance for a second. Ra's then uses the cane to jab at the controls, lodging it there, and resumes his attack on Batman. When Batman says "Who said anything about stopping it", he's referring to the fact that he doesn't have to because of his backup plan with Gordon. Yes, Ra's looks up and you see the controls that he shot out (this is a plot device to remind the audience that the cane in the controls thing happened, so that the audience knows the train is going to keep going). Then Ra's notices that the track itself is falling to pieces. And realizes what Batman is talking about. This momentary shock gives Batman the edge to gain the advantage.

I'm going back to watch it again tomorrow, so I'll watch closer then.

TempleFugit said:
Ok......you must be right then.;)
Well I just hate to throw religion into this film. I don't think that is what the creators wanted. I agree with the other part of ur post though.

I will try again. Who builds any mass transit system without an emergency brake?

all quigon had to do was find it and tug, press, activate it and the monorail would have at least slowed down enough for him to jump off through the back.

TempleFugit said:
Did anyone notice the monorail when Bruce was little, and then how it looked when Rachel was on there, right before she was attacked?

At first, it was beautiful, now it's ugly and old, and full of graffiti.

The monorail symobolizes what Gotham USED TO BE before Thomas Wayne was killed, and now that Gotham's father is gone, the city is lost and hopeless.

Thomas Wayne is God.
Bruce Wayne is Jesus.
Gotham City is the Earth.

God created the Earth, and now that he is gone, Jesus has returned to save the people from its evil corruption.

or....

Thomas Wayne created Gotham City, and now that he is dead, Bruce Wayne has returned to save the people from its evil corruption.

The monorail train is just a symbolism of that corruption, and to show that Gotham was once beautiful, and now it isn't.

And the point of it crashing is a symbol of Gotham starting over again from scratch. A new, nicer monorail would be built, and the finale is a way of "letting the past go." Starting over again. The monorail basically symbollizes GOTHAM CITY ITSELF.

...and it's a way of letting Bruce let go, as well.

All kinds of things symbolize that.

- The monorail
- The mansion burning down
- The stethoscope

All these things are destroyed in the end, and they all have to do with his father. Now.....the past is gone, and his NEW life can begin.

Ugh, please lets not get this kind of stuff about the movie ever going again, it sounds too much like Matrix fanboys explaining the matrix trilogy. Can't we just let it be what it is?

I thought it was Batman until posts like Guards arised and now I know its Ra's

Wesyeed said:
I will try again. Who builds any mass transit system without an emergency brake?

all quigon had to do was find it and tug, press, activate it and the monorail would have at least slowed down enough for him to jump off through the back.

Perhaps it was damaged along with the other controls?

What? I thought Batman fought Ducard at the end, Ra's is dead?

jimal said:
What? I thought Batman fought Ducard at the end, Ra's is dead?

Should've paid more attention during the scene at Bruce's birthday party. "Ducard" IS the one true Ra's al Ghul. The earlier "Ra's" was just a decoy.

Bishop2 said:
Should've paid more attention during the scene at Bruce's birthday party. "Ducard" IS the one true Ra's al Ghul. The earlier "Ra's" was just a decoy.

Unfortunately, the music build-up and Bruce saying Ra's to Neeson and him nodding isn't good enough I guess....... :)

Milkman95 said:
Unfortunately, the music build-up and Bruce saying Ra's to Neeson and him nodding isn't good enough I guess....... :)

Actually, it seems like you're right. Both times I've gone to the movie now, I always get people saying to me afterwards "So, wait, who was Liam Neeson?" :rolleyes:

Bishop2 said:
Actually, it seems like you're right. Both times I've gone to the movie now, I always get people saying to me afterwards "So, wait, who was Liam Neeson?" :rolleyes:

Or when Neeson says "Certainly you don't begrudge my dual identities"........ :)

The Spider-Bat said:
I think that every supehero movie should have a big fight between the hero/s and the villian/s.

And utilizing trains of some sort as a platform for a battle.

Milkman95 said:

I don't know why but this made me laugh so hard. And all told, I am naughty because I never put two and two together at the beginning when Ra's as Ducard is telling Bruce about how he lost his wife because of a criminal. That should have been a huge red flag to Batman fans who the real Ra's was.

The Guard said:

Trust me on this.

After thinking about this over and over, and watching it over and over in my head, I really think Guard has hit the nail on the head. The flow of events could have been more clearly shot, but the confusion is what Nolan was going for, and in part I think it was to make this ambiguous.

Batman breaks Ra's's sword.

Batman tries for the controls to stop the train.

Ra's goes after him, fighting ensues, and Ra's jams his broken sword into the controls.

Cut to Gordon blowing out the track support.

Ra's starts choking Batman, and says "Nothing can stop this train now." Direct reference to him fouling the controls.

Batman says "who said anything about stopping it?" In order to redirect Ra's' attention to the crumbling track out the window.

Batman gets upper hand due to this distraction, and gets on top. "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."

Throws batarangs, and escapes. In other words, Batman's backup plan worked, and it was an unfortunately high-damage plan.

Emergency brakes are a plot hole, unless you assume those were the controls Ra's broke - which seems obvious since Ra's talks about stopping the train, and there was no throttle in the controls Ra's broke. Besides, emergency brakes probably would stop the train right inside the tower, as fast as it was going.

The only real plot hole is why Batman didn't just go for the emitter and blow it up with his mini mines at first - countered by his desire not to blow Ra's up along with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"