What would you make into a film?

Mrs. Sawyer

Avenger
Reaction score
If you had a choice to choose what properties (tv, video games, action figures, board game, website, etc., etc.)you would make into a film, what would it be? How would you interpret it? What would change? What would you like to do with the film?

Just to make it interesting, how about properties that haven't been made into a film yet and aren't in active development.

Here are some of mine, I may think of more later:

TV Shows:
Gargoyles
Burn Notice (the eventual film version in 20 years lol)

Video Games
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Sonic The Hedgehog - Not the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but Sonic SatAM would be awesome to base it off of
Halo (I guess it would count since it's been canned)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Mass Effect (is this even in development?)
Half-Life

Comics:
The Spectre (Jim Corrigan)
Hawkman

Novels:
The Legend of Drizzt series. Likely up to Siege of Darkness. In the Streams of Silver adaption, I'd have Bruenor say something like "Gimme that scimitar, drow!" then snatch the fireproof one from Drizzt before
he sets himself on fire and catapults himself onto Shimmergloom's back

Games:
Super Mario Brothers. Another live action take more in line with the games.
Jak and Daxter
Jak II
Jak 3
Resident Evil: All based on games, except for number 4. It'd be an original idea of mine that draws in all the epilogues from Resident Evil 3 and features a more satisfying death for the Umbrella Corporation.

TV Shows:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer with Joss Whedon

Video Games:
Assassins Creed
Super Mario
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time
Commander Keen
Minesweeper

Comics and novels:
The Authority
Discworld
The Dark Tower
I, Robot, done right
DMZ
X-men, using Grant Morrison's New X-men as a reference
The BFG
The Gizmo
The Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton

Mobile Suit Gundam. The original, One Year War. Amuro, Char, White Base, the whole deal. Then, instead of simply redoing every Gundam series as a movie, which seems redunadant because alot of them are already being made into movies, I'd develop some original stories that take place during any of the series that come later. I'd still be very respectful, stick close to the Universal Century timeline. I just think it would be a little predictable to movie-ize each series, so I figure why not really leave my mark on it, try to expand the universe a bit, while still keeping it parallel to what's been established. Just to kind of show respect that I wouldn't want to just redo the original stories in live action (save for maybe the original Gundam, which would follow the first series, but incorporate all the OYW based shows into one), but I'd show that I respect the Gundam world and know it well enough to inject some original material into it to keep things new.

God, I have SO many ideas for a series of Gundam movies. Gundam was my bread and butter from middle school through high school. I even wrote my own original Gundam story. I still watch it on and off (I never miss an episode of Gundam 00 on SyFy channel) and my steel trap mind remembers all the serial numbers on all the mobile suits. RX-78, RX-79G, RGM-79C, MS-06, MS-09, etc.

I was BORN to make Gundam movies! I can just imagine the teaser posters: a series of different one sheets. One shows the forlorn young crew of the White Base, standing together, unsure of their future. One maybe a nod to the side story characters, showing the battle damaged, barely hanging on, held together with gum and band-aids mobile suits of the White Dingo team, Blue Destiny, Jack's Halloween team, huddled together as if waiting for the enemy to attack. Maybe one a more Zeon oriented theme, maybe the Zabi family, one showing a space colony crashing into the earth during Operation British, all with the same grim tagline at the bottom of each poster- "WHO WILL SURVIVE?" Same as they used at the end of every next episode preview.

Just imagine, sitting in a darkened theatre. The trailers have played, the lights are out, the Paramount/WB/Sony/whoever credits have shown. The screen is black. Then you hear the voice: "The year is Universal Century 0079..."

Man, I'm all excited now!!! I must make this happen!!!

Gundam
Quickdraw Mcgraw
The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
So Weird
Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie
Captain Planet and the Planeteers
SWAT Katz: The Rogue Squadron
Reboot
Voltron
Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space

Star Wars: Heir to the Empire
Star Wars: Dark Force Rising
Star Wars: The Last Command

Tarzan of the Apes
Return of Tarzan
The Beasts of Tarzan
The Son of Tarzan
Tarzan of the Jewels of Opar

and all the original Tarzan novels...
The Giver
Fahrenheit 451
Brave New World

Red Dawn remake
ID4EVER (Sequel to Independence Day)

Candy Land: The Movie

i read somewhere this is actually happening. this along with monopoly. :oldrazz:

candyland would be sweet..but the only way i could see it happening and being good is A. if a kid and his friends are 'pretending' to be in candyland and you see it in the film or B. its a stoner movie! haha

-----------------

yup! found it

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/02/05/universal-making-candy-land-with-enchanted-director/
Universal Making Candy Land Movie with Enchanted Director

February 5, 2009
by Alex Billington

Candy Land?! Yes, Candy Land! You know, that frickin' board game? Believe it or not, it looks like Universal is going to get a Candy Land feature film made before Ridley Scott makes his Monopoly movie. Universal has hired Tropic Thunder and Sherlock Holmes screenwriter Etan Cohen to write the screenplay and Enchanted director Kevin Lima to direct. Of all the people they could've chosen, Lima is one of two that I actually would've agree'd to and said, "okay, now I see how this could maybe happen." Of course it's going to be cheesy as hell and totally surreal and ridiculous, but we're still going to have a Candy Land movie!
Universal made a deal with Hasbro last February for screen rights to numerous Milton Bradley and other Hasbro franchises. No word on what the actual concept will be, but in the game (I can't believe I'm writing this), players race around a board full of colored squares in order to reach the Candy Castle and King of Kandy. I have a feeling that this isn't going to be adapted like Jumanji or Zathura, but rather like Enchanted where the world, including places like Licorice Castle and Molasses Swamp, comes to life in a trippy adventure of sorts. Does this really need to be made? Well, it could end up being a lot of fun, right?

Video Game

BioShock
Left 4 Dead
Halo
Gears of War

TV Show

Psych possibly?

Comic Book

The Dark Knight Returns
DC: The New Frontier
Joker

Roald Dahl's The Witches. It's been done before, but it was terrible, just terrible.

I would do a three-part space epic modeled on The Odyssey.

THE WITCHES is in development.

I'd like to see darn near every major comic book hero, especially THE SPECTRE and JLA.

I'd make RAINBOW SIX, POPPLES (as a horror movie) and um...KETCHUP WARS.

What would you make into a film?
3 hours of a plastic bag being blown by the wind in front of a wall. Instant Cannes hit.

[A];17237012 said:
3 hours of a plastic bag being blown by the wind in front of a wall. Instant Cannes hit.

:up:

Television/Cartoons
* A CGI "Danger Mouse" done as a more intelligent spoof of the '60s spy genre (instead of the kiddified Austin Powers knockoff it would likely end up being)
* A new "Twilight Zone" movie adapting four or five more episodes of the original series (maybe including 'The Monsters Are Out On Maple Street', which was almost adapted for the first film).
* A more serious "Space Ghost" film in the vein of DC comic.
* For that matter, "The Herculoids" and "Thundarr", if for no other reason than to do a live-action version of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon that would actually be WORTH turning into a live-action film.
* A live-action "Batman Beyond".

Comics
* A live-action/CGI "Big Guy & Rusty", combining elements of the comics and the cartoon, with Jonathan Cook and Pam Adlon reprising their voice roles if possible.
* Supergirl, again combining elements of the comics and the cartoons, this time elements of the DCAU Supergirl with those of the '90s comics.
* A reboot of "The Mask", done with the darker edge of a 'revenge' movie and a more macabre sense of humor, without necessarily being as gratuitously violent as the comics are.

Novels
* Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy, if for no other reason than to get "Star Wars" away from the Jedi/Sith/Clone Wars/Prequel-era overkill.

Action Figures/Toys
* A "Transformers" reboot once Bay's kicked to the curb. Not a rabid love-letter to G1, mind you, but something that does a more capable job of being a fun sci-fi popcorn yarn about an intergalactic conflict and less about how many explosions and ridiculously-out-of-place 'comedy' elements (peeing robots, robot cajones, robotic racial stereotypes, etc.) we can cram into two hours.
* By contrast, I'd do "Go-Bots" as a deliberate satire of "Transformers - not too lowbrow, but it would have elements like a boozing and womanizing Leader-1 and a very insecure Cy-Kill who always has trouble with mass-shifting when he transforms from motorcycle to robot (a running gag would be that he keeps coming out only human-sized - make up your own analogies here, folks).

Last edited:
I'd love to see an adaptation of Peter Benchley's The Girl of the Sea of Cortez brought to the screen. Yes, Benchley actually wrote novels not featuring killer sea creatures (White Shark, Beast, Jaws...). There are so few genuinely moving and authentic coming-of-age stories featuring female protagonists which work for both gender demographics and this has the potential to be something really special. With a good director and script, it could make a fine companion piece to Whale Rider.

You suck. :up:

I'd like to see someone take a crack at A Heart Breaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers or if they're ballsy and ambitious enough try to adapt Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

And really people, haven't we seen enough superhero comic book adaptations? We've been getting at least two major superhero movies every year for the entire decade. I know this is a superhero website, and I'm still a comic book fan first and foremost, but isn't it time someone said enough? To paraphrase Jim Emerson: the world needs a new superhero movie about as much as it needs a new Bush administration. Must every major superhero license out there be adapted? It's getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
An updated version of stories from "The Illustrated Man" by Ray Bradbury.

-Something by David Sedaris. Probably the second half of Me Talk Pretty One Day, since it more or less has a continuous plot. One could also probably take various other essays of his and figure out the timeline for them, and make that into a movie.

-The Final Solution by Michael Chabon could be a really good, concise detective film. I would say The Yiddish Policemen's Union, but it's already being made into a film.

-Possibly Killing Yourself to Live by Chuck Klosterman. The pop culture analysis couldn't be featured as much, but the narrative itself would be entertaining for a movie.

-Although comic adaptations are so numerous these days that they no longer excite me, I'd like to see a 100 Bullets movie. I'd base it on the first three trades and tell the stories in an episodic style akin to Pulp Fiction. And then maybe a second movie that delves into the bigger story.

-Similarly, a Criminal movie would be cool.

-The stage musical Curtains should be one considered for a film adaptation.

-I usually abhor the notion of a video game adaptation, but I'd watch a Jet Set Radio movie just to see how bat **** insane it turned out.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Psych on the big screen. It might be cliche to some, but I'd love to have the series itself, lead up to a two hour film. Or maybe after the "final" episode, have a movie come out where Shawn meets someone who pays as much detail to things as he does, or is maybe unpredictable, thus hard for Shawn to track down, or pick up clues on. Maybe have one of the criminals from early on in the series come back through and play a big role as a antagonist.

Samurai Jack. Have an animated, PG - PG13 flick of Jack, because I never really found out what happened to him. I think a hour:thirty - fourty-five would do this movie justice. Be able to run into a few notable characters and have the final battle with Aku in the end. The show to me was great, even better now that I'm older and see that it was more than just awesome action.

Left 4 Dead in the form of a movie would be pretty cool. It'd be a easy transition since there isnt much story to the game anyways. As long as the sets and costumes are on point, director and production could go any which way I'd think. Have to be pretty thick to mess it up.

And like 8wid said before, "The Giver." I really enjoy that book. I'd love to see it come to life on screen. Lastly, Fallout 3, because I can not get enough it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"