Guardians of the Galaxy What you didn't like about Guardians of the Galaxy - Flaws/Critiques

What extra scenes would you have liked to improve Ronan's character or motives?

Maybe a flashback scene or maybe a glimpse of the Kree home world?

On another thread, one person said that we could have gotten some scenes of Ronan reminiscing about the friends, family, loved ones, etc that he's lost during the war. It could have been a nice parallel with the Guardians, who have also lost things that are dear with him. It could have shown the different paths that grief and loss has led these people down.

I thought that was a nice idea.

I didn't like how they
Killed off The Other it really pissed me off!

The only thing I didn't like was the it ended, no lie.

The movie was perfect until
Howard the Duck.

This isn't a complaint but I don't know much about the Guardians of the Galaxy: did Groot
die?
I know in the end he's still around but is that a
new
, or was it the
same
Groot just
regrown?

I don't have "complaints" but here's a few things I wish were different.

Ronan
Ronan was clearly a tragic character, driven mad by his desire for revenge and conquest. It doesn't matter if his side was right or wrong, HE believed they were right. Yet I've seen many who thought he was as shallow as Malekith. Maybe they should have included a scene of him at a war memorial for fallen Kree...pledging to not stop fighting...or a scene of him berating the leaders who signed the peace accord...something to further develop him as a character who sees his people as victims.

Groot
"We are Groot." I didn't like it. It should've been "I am Groot."

Gamora
Gamora was not as good of a character as any of the others. Her sister is so much cooler than she is.

The Gems
I didn't see it, and I may have missed it...but it'd have been cool to have seen the Aether, especially after the credits. I kind of assumed that Thanos would have it by the end of this movie. I was surprised by how few people at my theater realized that all of these MacGuffins were connected. I guess Phase 3 will be his quest to gather the gems.

Post Credits Stinger
I'm not really a fan of the funny post-credits scenes. I like the ones that really pump me up for a future film.

This isn't a complaint but I don't know much about the Guardians of the Galaxy: did Groot
die?
I know in the end he's still around but is that a
new
, or was it the
same
Groot just
regrown?

Yes to your last spoiler.

I'm kind of sick of comedic endings to Marvel villains. I never really saw Ronan as much of a threat for some reason.

Yes to your last spoiler.

If that's the case, why was Rocket and Groot saying he'll die and so sad? They just didn't know? Does Groot still have all his memories intact?

No one here seems to have mentioned how quickly everyone bonded. That seemed unreasonable to me. The quick coming together and super speedy bonding of the group seemed forced and not very believable.

Yes, Rocket protecting Quill because he still wanted the bounty makes sense and they all wanting bigger bucks from The Collector fits but the instant bonding still plays as way off.

I also found the story and overall narrative extremely thin.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie but it was more "bubblegum" or "cotton candy" than I was expecting and way more so than any other Marvel film.

If that's the case, why was Rocket and Groot saying he'll die and so sad? They just didn't know? Does Groot still have all his memories intact?

He just didn't know. I think he does but we will know for sure next time.

I hope no one here thinks I am nuts. I like the movie. I liked it A LOT. Especially because it was what I expected it to be (and my expectations were high). I expected a lighthearted pastiche of a sci-fi western (oh "Firefly" you were so ahead of your time!). Ironic, since Joss Whedon's movie was the big blockbuster of last year and this will definitely be the blockbuster of this summer...

But I digressed.

The first 5 minutes (which were a bit of a downer), but we get our quintessential background into Peter Quill. He got into a fight at school because a kid (or kids) killed a frog with a stick. The stage is set, he is a sensitive momma's boy / orphan from the 80's.

But then in the very next scene (a clear homage to the opening sequence to "Raiders of the Lost Ark") Peter Quinn is kicking and strangling and throwing alien "frogs." As an animal lover (LOVED ROCKET, BTW!!!)this aspect of the scene really disturbed me, Not only was it unecessary (no need for him to interact with any creatures at all on the decimated alien landscape), but it was antithetical to the nature of the character the movie had just created. And having Peter Quill have heart and compassion is what makes the movie work.

God I wish they never had shown him being sadistic to any living animals / creatures. It ruined part of the movie for me.

Am I nuts?

(and am I the only one who felt this way?)

The only thing I didn't like was the it ended, no lie.

yeh i wish it was a bit longer so they could develop the characters a bit more, especially ronan, and i didnt like how the individual scenes were so long, i wish they were shorter so that there was more variety.

Another Marvel movie, with a very forgettable villain.

I hope no one here thinks I am nuts. I like the movie. I liked it A LOT. Especially because it was what I expected it to be (and my expectations were high). I expected a lighthearted pastiche of a sci-fi western (oh "Firefly" you were so ahead of your time!). Ironic, since Joss Whedon's movie was the big blockbuster of last year and this will definitely be the blockbuster of this summer...

But I digressed.

The first 5 minutes (which were a bit of a downer), but we get our quintessential background into Peter Quill. He got into a fight at school because a kid (or kids) killed a frog with a stick. The stage is set, he is a sensitive momma's boy / orphan from the 80's.

But then in the very next scene (a clear homage to the opening sequence to "Raiders of the Lost Ark") Peter Quinn is kicking and strangling and throwing alien "frogs." As an animal lover (LOVED ROCKET, BTW!!!)this aspect of the scene really disturbed me, Not only was it unecessary (no need for him to interact with any creatures at all on the decimated alien landscape), but it was antithetical to the nature of the character the movie had just created. And having Peter Quill have heart and compassion is what makes the movie work.

God I wish they never had shown him being sadistic to any living animals / creatures. It ruined part of the movie for me.

Am I nuts?

(and am I the only one who felt this way?)

Yes :funny: I don't see why it doesn't fit the Quill character. He's a *****e bag at the start of the film anyway.

At least the heroes were memorable though :)

It's not a movie where you can have the villain overwhelm the heroes otherwise it does exactly that. This was a movie where you needed your attention wholey on the misfits coming together, and it did that perfectly. Ronan just needed to be a vehicle for that.
I think a more imposing villain may have hurt the growing affection you got about the heroes.

I think it would have been better...

if the cameo at the end was beta ray bill instead of Howard the duck. Do we really need Howard the duck? Hopefully marvel doesn't consider flogging that dead horse instead of a black panther or captain marvel film first

I also think some of the lines could have been removed or updated so it was more show, don't tell. A good example is when Gamora said 'you removed the gravity of everywhere except in here'. It's like yeah we can see that!

Over all though not a bad film

Howard the Duck at the end credits. I swear if i had known I would not have stayed. None of the Nova corps with the Nova force in the movie. Over all their wasn't anything for me to complain about. The movie worked.

Oh yeah, Ronin getting Killed or appeared to. Thanos not doing anything but then again he's not suppose to yet. NO ADAM WARLOCK!!!!

The lack of Nova Force bothered me a bit, but I can let it slide if it ends up coming around down the road.

It's funny how people are reacting to Howard. It was just a funny cameo and I think some folks are taking it the wrong way.

All of my complaints are pretty minor.

1. Dave Baustista needs acting lessons badly.

2. While I loved the post-credit scene from a comedic standpoint, I wish they would've had a mid-credit scene that actually meant something to the MCU.

3. I wanted more Nebula.

4. I was hoping for an appearance by Richard Rider, but oh well.

5. I wanted the story behind the Infinity Stones to last a little longer. I felt like more information should have been given.

Yes :funny: I don't see why it doesn't fit the Quill character. He's a *****e bag at the start of the film anyway.

... He just explained how it doesn't fit, and he has a point.

At least the heroes were memorable though :)

Four of them were :)

It's not a movie where you can have the villain overwhelm the heroes otherwise it does exactly that. This was a movie where you needed your attention wholey on the misfits coming together, and it did that perfectly. Ronan just needed to be a vehicle for that.
I think a more imposing villain may have hurt the growing affection you got about the heroes.

I disagree, I don't think a fleshed out Ronan (& Nebula) would have overshadowed the Guardians.

All of my complaints are pretty minor.

1. Dave Baustista needs acting lessons badly.

2. While I loved the post-credit scene from a comedic standpoint, I wish they would've had a mid-credit scene that actually meant something to the MCU.

3. I wanted more Nebula.

4. I was hoping for an appearance by Richard Rider, but oh well.

5. I wanted the story behind the Infinity Stones to last a little longer. I felt like more information should have been given.

I thought Dave Bautista's acting was perfect for this version of Drax. Though, he probably wouldn't be the best choice for other heavy hitter characters.

I agree that it would have been nice to get a glimpse of a future Marvel film, but the whole movie was filled with teasers of where the Marvel Universe is going.

Nebula was one of the most (if not the most) interesting characters in the whole movie. Seriously, everything about her character was awesome (great casting, great design, etc.). I'm looking forward to the Guardians running into her again. Will she still be aligned to Thanos, or will she be on her own?

Richard Rider is a pretty important character, but introducing him could have complicated the plot even further. I like to look at the Nova Corp big fight as a precursor for his introduction. Quill's involvement as a human could even be used as a reason for the Nova Corp to look toward earth for recruitment.

The infinity gems teaser was just enough explanation that it won't be completely boring to hear all about them again when they are all gathered in a future movie (which would also require a history lesson of the gems). It was also the most information we've had on the gems so far.

Also, I think I could be the only person who thought the stinger, with Cosmo and Howard, was funny.

My biggest complaints were about a couple moments of very cheesy touchy-feely dialog that could have been removed or altered, but they weren't too bad or too often that it detracted from the film as a whole.

I would have liked to see the Nova Corp actually use the Nova force, but I did like their ships.

Gamora was used poorly in several moments of the film. I came away feeling like she was a badass, but definitely not the "deadliest woman in the whole galaxy". We had a great actress, but the part waned on the old standard of girl in distress. Other than Drax showing up, there was no reason Gamora couldn't stop those prisoners trying to kill her (and maybe even then).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"