Guardians of the Galaxy What you didn't like about Guardians of the Galaxy - Flaws/Critiques

YES HE SHOULD KNOW! AND YES MY COMPARISON DOES WORK! I left disappointed with nothing mentioned of the Avengers, something should have been mentioned (Tony Stark is like this world's Steve Jobs/Bill Gates, who kids know) and Thor and Loki should be pretty popular out in the space realms. If you can't see that, I don't know what else to say. I'm disappointed it wasn't mentioned, end of story. Get off my ****ing case!

Have you not watched the other Marvel movies? Peter leaves Earth at the tinder age of 8. How on Earth (no pun intended) would he know who Tony Stark or Steve Rogers is when Iron Man doesn't become relevant until the mid 2000s and Roger's body isn't recovered until 2012? Loki and Thor are just as well known as Ronan and Thanos--two people Peter clearly knew nothing about before meeting Ronan's men during the opening fight sequence and talking to Gamora about just who Thanos is.

I have trouble believing that an 8 year old would know so much about pop culture, but whatever.

He should be making references to 1980s cartoons, not to Footloose.

I have trouble believing that an 8 year old would know so much about pop culture, but whatever.

He did. He made a TMNT reference. And Footloose was a rather popular movie from the 80's, so it's quite possible that Quill saw it.

Have you not watched the other Marvel movies? Peter leaves Earth at the tinder age of 8. How on Earth (no pun intended) would he know who Tony Stark or Steve Rogers is when Iron Man doesn't become relevant until the mid 2000s and Roger's body isn't recovered until 2012? Loki and Thor are just as well known as Ronan and Thanos--two people Peter clearly knew nothing about before meeting Ronan's men during the opening fight sequence and talking to Gamora about just who Thanos is.

How old was Tony when he started to break records? He had to have been pretty young? Most kids like to hear about prodigies, and tend to remember them. Even then, why mention the Ninja Turtles at all if the creatures didn't even look like them? If Quill didn't mention them, then Gamora should have since she does know Thanos. Look, I was expecting something, I would have been happy if we saw a glance of Rocket in a bar, and we saw Thor's friends in the background having a round. Thor didn't even have to be part of it, but just something. I was expecting a cameos like we got in the others, and well, it didn't happen for me, and this is one of the main reasons I go to these movies, for the quick cameos. (Ironman had Coulsen and Fury, Hulk had Tony, Ironman 2 had Black Widow, Fury and Coulsen, Thor had Coulsen and Hawkeye, Captain America had Stark's father and the teaser for The Avengers, Ironman 2 had Bruce, Thor 2 had Captain America, Captain America 2 had Shield in it, and cameos of the twins. Uh, GOTG, right now, I didn't see anything except for maybe one of the bad guys in Thor 2, but, other than that, we get Howard the Duck? What does that have to do with the MCU? (I'm not a comic book reader, I'm actually part of the GA!)

Breathing in space: This seemed overlooked by most people. When Gamora is dying in space and Peter goes to save her and isn't immediately killed I couldn't believe my eyes. I understand this is a comic book movie, but that was the most Disney-esque inclusion I've seen in the entire MCU.

Addressed at the end of the film when the Nova corps told Peter he was only half-human.

I'm happy that we didn't get cameos. I'd prefer if the MCU expand and that it not be all inter-connected, that's very constraining.

He did. He made a TMNT reference. And Footloose was a rather popular movie from the 80's, so it's quite possible that Quill saw it.

True. I would have loved a Star Wars reference as well. It would have been perfect.

The cameos have to make sense and fit the situation, otherwise it's nonsensical and pointless pandering. If that's all a persons goes to see the movies for, and that's all you want to see regardless of whether it makes any sense or not, then you clearly miss the point. "Most kids want to learn about prodigies," that a really big assumption on your part. I knew plenty of kids who couldn't care less about that kind of stuff at that age. There's ZERO reason to have a Thor, Loki, Cap, SHIELD, whatever reference/cameo in this movie. They simply wouldn't fit.

Breathing in space: This seemed overlooked by most people. When Gamora is dying in space and Peter goes to save her and isn't immediately killed I couldn't believe my eyes. I understand this is a comic book movie, but that was the most Disney-esque inclusion I've seen in the entire MCU.

Actually, blame movies for this, but despite common belief a human can survive in space for about a minute or so without a suit.

Plus there's a specific thing about Quill that makes it more plausible in his case.

When I was 8 i could not care less about scientific achievements or awards for innovations and such no matter what age. The TV, the tree climbing, the bike riding, the action figures, the video games, had my attention and guess what? I had to friggin tag along with my older brother and his date to see friggin Footloose. No lie.

Actually, blame movies for this, but despite common belief a human can survive in space for about a minute or so without a suit.

Which again, doesn't matter, since Peter Quill is only half-human and his heightened physiology is addressed in the final scene.

I had two gripes:

1. Film starts off kind of choppy.
2. Ronan is yet another unmemorable MCU villain (Though Lee Pace gives an excellent scenery chewing performance.)

- I thought the final confrontation between the Guardians and Ronan was little TOO silly and slightly awkward with Quill dancing to distract Ronan and Ronan saying 'What are you doing?'. Also, when the Guardians hold hands in the purple infinity stone field to destroy Ronan was too much of a replay of Thor: The Dark World’s CG-drenched Aether battle, but now it’s purple swirly stuff rather than red. See what I mean:

Guardians of the Galaxy
0.jpg

Thor: The Dark World
tumblr_n0fp7fvOfC1r5ynioo1_250.gif

Capture.PNG

I agree 100%

Ronan distracted by a dancing Quill was not credible at all; Ronana is smart and ruthless, and he got distracted by that?

But again, non Terrians dont seem to be familiar with dancing, and Quill must have remembered that Gamora didnt know what it was earlier in the movie, which id why he took a shot against Ronan

And that scene reminded me of TDW too

Last edited:
The film had two ongoing problems, although neither were particularly egregious. The camp was too much in places, particularly from Star-Lord. Secondly, Groot was too much the pollyana do-gooder rather than the super-intelligent character he should have been.

My other small criticisms:

Ronan, despite being outstanding overall, could have had a dark green costume.

The music was unnecessary at times and became annoying after awhile.

The Kree culture and the Accuser Corps could have been fleshed out a little more, but that could be coming later in the MCU.

mentioned this in the review thread but might as well put this here:

the "prologue" for lack of a better word, just plopped in without much fanfare and immediately after the string of trailers (at least in my theater), so we were all thinking this heartbreaking scene between boy and mother was some kind of trailer thats dragging for too long. then the Marvel logo appears. that was part of the movie what?? sheesh. can we have a rewind?

the "epilogue" or the much beloved bonus end credits that geeks sit out for.... Howard the Duck. :dry: wtf? hey im an 80's kid so i remember this weird Big Bird distant relative (no i dont know the real backstory and frankly i dont care for it much). but yeah that kinda fell flat. sure its nice to see The Collector having a drink amidst the ruins of his once glorious treasury, indicating we could see him again in future Marvel movies, and even adding Cosmo the Dog was a nice touch (even if general public doesnt know his significance) but then they had to tack on Howard the Duck at the end that just killed the moment. and i am suddenly reminded why i despised his movie.

again i must say that these are pretty minor compared to the rest of how the movie turned out

It seems like a lot of these gripes are just people not paying much attention to detail.

I wouldn't have minded a reference to Asgard or something. But complaining that the Avengers weren't referenced or didn't have cameos?

Marvel should be praised for letting this film be as individual as possible without relying on the Avenger brand, not criticized for it. Seriously.

I would have loved it if they would have mentioned the events of the Avengers. Really just going off Fury's "Now every world knows it" from Avengers. Like "No one took Terrain seriously until they defeated that Asgardian" But I'm not going to hold that against them. It's probably smarter not to mention the Avengers.

I did find the fight kinda dull. Mostly[BLACKOUT]the Ronan fight if you can call it that. They blast him then the ship crashes and they blast him again?[/BLACKOUT]

Yea i see what you're saying. But i think it was a great character moment for the Guardians. It's like that money shot from Avengers in a way. The film was building up to that moment.

Loved the movie so I'd say these are minor nit picks.

*Would have liked a composer and score and not just back to back 80's music.
*Gammora didn't feel like "the most deadly woman in the universe". She almost felt like a damsel in distress at some moments.
*Would have liked more set ups for the expanded space universe. Nova Richard rider cameo. More Kree. There important in the inhumans, and Captain Marvel/Mar-vell set up.

Didn't spoil the movie at all, plan on watching it again many times. :)

Edit:
-Korath-He's barely in the movie, is barely a presence at all, and it's a complete waste of Djimon Hounsou's talents.
This^^ What a waste of a great actor. I heard the Djimon wanted to play a super hero character because his son told him that he wanted to be white because he thought only white people could be superheroes. So he ends up playing a completely forgettable henchman that doesn't even make it to the sequel?!

Last edited:

Yea they did kind of beat you over the head with it. I thought I hearing things when he mentioned the "ninja turtles". lol
At this point in his life he's spent more time in space and would make more references to his new life experiences and not faded child hood memories.

If you adopted an orphan from Rwanda and raised him for 20 years in the USA, wouldn't he identify with America? How many Rwandan phrase's an reference would he hold on too?.
MINOR nit picking. I actually wouldn't change a thing despite how silly and out of place some of the reference's were, they added to the charm of the movie.

Last edited:
YES HE SHOULD KNOW! AND YES MY COMPARISON DOES WORK! I left disappointed with nothing mentioned of the Avengers, something should have been mentioned (Tony Stark is like this world's Steve Jobs/Bill Gates, who kids know) and Thor and Loki should be pretty popular out in the space realms. If you can't see that, I don't know what else to say. I'm disappointed it wasn't mentioned, end of story. Get off my ****ing case!

I don't know about that. Space/the Universe is a pretty big place.

Characters like Loki might value there privacy. Someone involved in as many shenanigans as him wouldn't like to be TMZ'd all over the place.

Some of the most powerful and richest people in the world are not necessarily famous. I didn't know who Donald Sterling was till his recent controversy. Billionares and major corporate types tend to stay behind the scenes.

Also glad they didn't mention the Avengers. This movie needs to stand on it's own 2 feet before they start throwing in cameo's.

Sorry for rambling :woot:

Sorry, but the whole thing about the film having references to the other characters wouldn't make sense at all. As Loki882 already said, how the hell would Peter have heard about Tony Stark or Captain America? He's been away from earth for about 20 something years. I'm also pretty sure his knowledge of Thor and Loki would be pretty limited also. The general public didn't seem to have a clue to who any of them are, so I highly doubt Peter would know about Asgard either.

He didn't even know who Ronan was, and that guy was wreaking havoc in the same part of space, and pretty much everyone else knew who he was. He also didn't seem to know who Thanos was, and he's freaking Thanos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"