Guardians of the Galaxy What you didn't like about Guardians of the Galaxy - Flaws/Critiques

Not many problems with this film, it was good fun, the only downers for me were:

- Poor villains again from Marvel, Ronan and Nebula were meh.
- Thanos was a bit of a letdown too.
- Howard the Duck
- Story was pretty standard fare and there a few moments that didnt make a whole lot of sense but nothing that dragged the whole thing down.

Thats about it really, not too much wrong with this film.

It's funny how people are reacting to Howard. It was just a funny cameo and I think some folks are taking it the wrong way.

Yeah, I think a few are taking it a bit too seriously. It was just a joke.

Not many problems with this film, it was good fun, the only downers for me were:

- Poor villains again from Marvel, Ronan and Nebula were meh.
- Thanos was a bit of a letdown too.
- Howard the Duck
- Story was pretty standard fare and there a few moments that didnt make a whole lot of sense but nothing that dragged the whole thing down.

Thats about it really, not too much wrong with this film.

Again, why is everyone overly critical of his cameo? It's a joke, and Gunn probably won't take it any further than that cameo.

Again, why is everyone overly critical of his cameo? It's a joke, and Gunn probably won't take it any further than that cameo.
I'm not overly critical, it's just the only part of the movie that I didn't like. :woot:

You're wrong!:cmad: They're clearly setting it up so Howard takes over as Cap when Steve is killed off!

Yeah I get it was a joke but there were tons of much funnier ones in the film itself.

Was only an after credits scene after all, just not one of the better ones.

The fight between Thanos and Howard will be EPIC!

Not even Thanos can withstand the ancient art of Quack Fu.

I probably missed something, but why did the Collector's assistant turn on him and she touched the infinity stone. I didn't get it.

The comedy outweighed everything else in this movie to the point where I felt as though I was watching a parody. I mean, humor is great and all, but too much is too much. I cringed so hard when
Peter danced in an effort to distract Ronan.
I mean, what the bad place was that about?
Also, Peter wasn't likeable.

Saw it yesterday and will probably see it again soon.

-My absolute biggest complaint has to be the city being "evacuated" in like 5 minutes.
But later, when the ship crashes (in the middle of the freaking city), there are dozens of citizens amidst THE WRECKAGE OF THE DOWNED SHIP! Huh?

-The team did come together a bit too quickly. Maybe it was just how Gamora says she's been playing Ronan and Thanos the whole time and everyone's just like, "Oh. Okay."

-The soundtrack did become a bit intrusive at points.

-The end credits stinger was... Eh. Funny. Building a bit of the Cosmic Marvel Universe would've been my preference. Not a huge deal to me though.

-Ronan. Blah. I agree with someone's assertion earlier that we could have seen his tragic side a bit.
That may have been what he was missing.

I probably missed something, but why did the Collector's assistant turn on him and she touched the infinity stone. I didn't get it.

The only thing I saw him do directly to her is tell her scrub harder. I guess that was an effort at some sort of arc but it was particularly weak.

Alright even though I absolutely loved this film and it's the first MCU film I can generally say I love, I have some complaints.

- The opening scene. I've seen quite a few people love it and think it was genuine, and it was in some aspects, but god I thought it was cheesy and hokey. If it wasn't for the kid playing Peter I would have thought it would have failed. The whole "Take my hand", followed immediately by his mother dying just felt so forced just to include trauma for Peter regretting never taking her hand, not to mention rushed. It started the film off on a bad foot for me, thank god it got better.

- Now I LOVED the music in the film, so this is a bit of a half critique, half adoration thing. I felt the music really lifted some scenes, but it also felt quite intrusive, as if the scenes were relying on them completely to make a scene work (Hooked on a Feeling is the first song that comes to mind, it just keeps going on and on as if to say "Hey remember this catchy song that got stuck in your head from the trailer? Here it is again and we are going to keep it playing even as they're just looking around doing next to nothing, while it completely distracts you and doesn't service the scene at all except for the very first 30 seconds when Peter gets angry."). But in other cases, like the opening credits and Cherry Bomb, plus the ending, it worked spectacularly. So it's a 50/50 thing.

Those are my main critiques for the film.

Not being familiar with the comic, and only knowing about the various alien races through other Marvel franchises, I did find the Xanderians kind of confusing. Are they displaced humans? Aliens who just look exactly like humans? I found it odd how the main character didn't comment on that at all.

For that matter, what is stopping Quill from going back to Earth? The Xanderians clearly know of it.

I have to say, I felt that his backstory seemed rather rushed. They just mention the reason why he was abducted in an off hand comment.

You would think that would be more of an issue for him.

LOL at people criticizing the Howard the duck cameo. I thought it was hilarious.
The only thing I saw him do directly to her is tell her scrub harder. I guess that was an effort at some sort of arc but it was particularly weak.
I don't think it was an arc, far as I know she didn't even have a name. It was done to show he doesn't inspire loyalty to those around him, so that it makes sense whenever she tries to grab the stone for herself.

I am guessing as Peter makes a name for himself. His father will eventually come looking for him in a sequel

-Opening scene didn't work for me.

-Gamora's character was a little dull. Some of Zaldana's acting wasn't on point.

-Some of Bautista's acting was pretty awful. Though with the comedic tone, I didn't really mind it. Some of it was great as well. ("...I will catch it").

-Some of the comedy didn't hit.

-Villain scenes weren't terribly interesting and dragged the movie. They either should have expanded on them or minimize their screen-time.

-I feel like I didn't see enough action scenes with Rocket blasting dudes with his gun.

-Some of the vehicle action scenes and Gamora's action scenes weren't anything special.

-A couple shots with spotty cgi.

Last edited:
This movie was good except for the writing, acting and directing.

- Writing

Very campy, cheesy dialogue that probably looked awesome on script but sounded really campy coming out of human mouths. Though i'm not sure how much of it was the writing and how much was the god-awful acting. But i've never rolled my eyes so much during a comics movie. And characters exposition sharing their emotions and drive in the exact places they would tell you to in Film Studies 101. Maybe Winter Soldier spoiled it, but this was not a cleverly written movie at all. Or even a smartly written one. You could tell me any film school reject wrote the script and i'd believe it.

- Acting

Bautista is just bad. Aside from a few one-liners that made me laugh, his acting took me out of the movie and his delivery was wooden and cringe inducing. Zoe Saldana tried, God bless her, but as wooden as Bautista's acting was, her's was hurt by the script moreso. Prime Meryl Streep might not be able to convincingly deliver some of the dialogue she had.

- Characterization

Gamora and Drax were like two different characters than what i'm used to reading. Even when Drax tried to be menacing he still came off like a big puppy dog with a huge heart. His blissfully ignorant personality was charming but it wasn't what I wanted from him.

Gamora wasn't Gamora-like at all. From her threat level, which was comically low, to her sweet, amiable personality, her character was the one I was most disappointed in. Way more docile and even-tempered than she's historically been in the books, and deadliest woman in the universe sounds like a joke now - thank God they didn't drop that in the movie.

Space Merle was so disheartening. I couldn't buy him even as an alien for a second. How hard could it be to drop the hick south accent? He didn't look anything like Yondu, didn't act like him, and that voice....sigh. Space Merle ftw I guess.

- Directing

The music. Not a bad element, just way too much of it.

Chris Pratt I liked. But it got hard to take him seriously at times with how cheesy/funny they tried to be. I'm sure Gunn wanted to put his own twist on it and make it fun, which everyone obviously enjoyed as the majority of people loved this movie. I wasn't one of them.

- Others

Glenn Close as Nova Prime.

Nova Corp as glorified cops, with not a human rocket to be seen.

John C. Reilly in the Nova Corp, who's just so ridiculous looking/sounding its hard to take him seriously.

Only one small shot of the Supreme Intelligence, which was barely visible. And no real delving into the kree as a race, which would have been awesome.

Thanos looked off. And his voice wasn't quite as commanding as I imagined.

Surprising lack of interesting easter eggs in the Collector's exhibits. Saw a dark elf, a couple other mildly amusing things. They could have really gone to town there and just declined to.

End credit scene. That's all...?

Cosmo didn't talk at all.

Eh, that's not all but how much does it really matter when people loved this so much. Overall it felt like a campy big budgeted syfy channel movie with amateur dialogue and cringeworthy acting, set to beautiful cinematography and impressive space CGI.

Which were, admittedly, very cool to watch.

Last edited:
I don't think it was an arc, far as I know she didn't even have a name. It was done to show he doesn't inspire loyalty to those around him, so that it makes sense whenever she tries to grab the stone for herself.
I think it makes sense up to the point when she grabs it. Wasn't she listening the whole time The Collector was explaining the "touch it and you're dead" aspect of the stone?
But, yeah, it wasn't really an arc.

It's interesting to see the criticism of Bautista's acting. I thought it was perfect for what they we're going for.

Not being familiar with the comic, and only knowing about the various alien races through other Marvel franchises, I did find the Xanderians kind of confusing. Are they displaced humans? Aliens who just look exactly like humans? I found it odd how the main character didn't comment on that at all.

They are a humanoid species in the comics. Don't know what internal differences between humans and Xanderians are but yes they are similar looking to humans. So are The Kree save for their blue skin. Since the Xanderians started the Nova corps and recruit other alein species it's logical that their planet would be a melting pot of different races.

As someone who's read the Nova comics and know a bit about the backstory. I think it's better served to say that their was disappointment that the Corps members with the Nova Force wasn't shown but not all the Corps members have the Nova force. On the Home planet their were the corps members like the ones that were in the film with no Nova power. The ones with the Nova force patrol the galxy or universe. Maybe we'll see the corps more flushed out. I think it was probably cost effectivness not to add Superpowered corps members.

They are a humanoid species in the comics. Don't know what internal differences between humans and Xanderians are but yes they are similar looking to humans. So are The Kree save for their blue skin. Since the Xanderians started the Nova corps and recruit other alein species it's logical that their planet would be a melting pot of different races.

Okay. I don't really mind human looking aliens, I just wondered, because most aliens were... some different color.

I guess it wouldn't have made much of a difference if they just made all the Xanderians... let's say red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"