What's on your mind?

Rodrigo90

Wink wink ;)
Reaction score
With the death of Robin Williams, I've noticed a lot of people opening up about their personal battles. Myself included, I've opened up about my battle with depression. I know full well how hard it can be to talk about what goes on in your head. You can feel scared, ashamed, etc.

And that shows that a lot of people suffer in silence.

I'm creating this thread because I know a few people on the Hype have their problems and don't open up, not to anyone, not even their families.
Yes, it can be hard, but you should never ever suffer in silence. I would like it if we could speak of our experiences in dark times and offer advice and support to those who may be going through the same, but don't know how to talk or deal with it.

If you feel too uncomfortable to share, then that's fine, it's understandable. Hopefully you'll see the tales and advice of others as a comfort.
It can be good to get things off your chest.

Last edited:
I've battled with depression over the years, and some so-called professionals can be cold.

I once swallowed a bottle of Tylenol in a bad moment and called 911 for help. I didn't want attention--I just got tired of not acting on the notion in my head. Everybody basically treated me as if I any other kind of medical emergency, except for this one nurse who felt compelled to lecture me "We all have problems/ you need help." She was condescending like many people are to depressed people. Oh, and the social worker who came in was rubbing his face with fatigue and it was clear that I was just another notch for him to get done that day.

It's too bad it took the death of someone like Robin for people to wake up and realize depression can be serious.

You poor people :( :o

To be serious man many things. Can't say a lot of them as they're personal and I don't feel like telling my own family or friends most of it.

I'm pretty content with life at the moment and I take each day as it comes.

I've battled with depression over the years, and some so-called professionals can be cold.

I once swallowed a bottle of Tylenol in a bad moment and called 911 for help. I didn't want attention--I just got tired of not acting on the notion in my head. Everybody basically treated me as if I any other kind of medical emergency, except for this one nurse who felt compelled to lecture me "We all have problems/ you need help." She was condescending like many people are to depressed people. Oh, and the social worker who came in was rubbing his face with fatigue and it was clear that I was just another notch for him to get done that day.

It's too bad it took the death of someone like Robin for people to wake up and realize depression can be serious.
My girlfriend knows that too well. She's in a mental hospital at the moment. Been in there since April. They do NOTHING like what they rightfully should be doing to help. You're just a number to people in hospitals. I've had to make a complaint because they know she's suicidal and they discharged her and she ended up ontop a car park and nearly jumped. Then the hospital that they'll have arrested for WASTING POLICE TIME...they know how bad she is, but it's like I said, you're nothing more than a number unless you get people to back you up.

I hope Robin's death will open the eyes of those who are ignorant to depression and say about suicide attempts
"It's only attention seeking"

To be serious man many things. Can't say a lot of them as they're personal and I don't feel like telling my own family or friends most of it.

I'm pretty content with life at the moment and I take each day as it comes.

That's fine. I know what it's like to be afraid of saying how you feel to people you care about. Thinking they might see you differently and that's tge last thing you want. But if it ever gets too bad, do not be afraid to speak out.

I think it's easy to overlook depressed people, since they rarely ask for help.

The worst part of depression is the apathy.

This is what my girlfriend texted to me earlier. She suffers from depression.

(((Hug))) it's ok babe. I don't want to leave you and the girls at all. Always know that. When it gets really bad I often believe that you and the girls would be better off without me an safer without me. I hate the thought of my illness affecting the people I love and a lot of the time I'm convinced that killing myself would protect the ones I love. And it's so hard to breathe sometimes and I can't cope with stuff and it feels like my only option because I'm a mess and I hate being like this. I've always been strong an independent an done everything on my own and now I'm a shadow of the person I used to be and I hate it. So I'm trying to build my strength to get bk to the strong person I used to be xxxxxxx

It's heartbreaking because this what people suffer everyday and they do it in silence.

I apologised to her because I called her "selfish" for her suicide attempt. I still feel ashamed for saying that. Nobody is selfish for what happens in their heads that they have no control over. They didn't ask for it. I should have realised that insead of being angry. It's because I chose to live for her others instead of myself and I told her to do the same. But people like Robin, even Peaches Geldof, sometimes you just CAN'T. It's not because their cowards, it's because they just CAN'T do it anymore because they're that weak from the fighting and pain :(

They break and cannot be fixed easily, if it all. But I know there is light at the end of that dark tunnel. You have to believe it.

Really sorry to hear about your Girlfriend Rodrigo

I think it's easy to overlook depressed people, since they rarely ask for help.

The worst part of depression is the apathy.

Agreed. The lack of ambition, self-care, appetite all of that :csad:

I've struggled with bipolar and low self esteem since childhood. This place has actually helped me out a lot in the past socially speaking, exposing me to different personality types while also helping me make people I can call actual friends.

The point is, reflecting on my past battles I can see how much I've grown, but I also see how much growing I still have left to do.

Rodrigo is a hell of a poster and I give him a lot of respect for creating this thread. :up:

I used to be condescending and lacked empathy for suicidal people until a suicide of a loved one opened my eyes. My perspective changed 100% and I am thankful for my perspective on suicide and attempted suicide changing. I am glad that you didn't lose your life that day.

Sorry to hear that DS :(
Continue being strong.

And thank you, so much. I'm actually crying a little bit here :)
God bless you! And to everyone who is suffering and fighting their battles. God bless you all and may he give you all the strength you need!

We can all help eachother here.
Don't suffer in silence.

Robin's death has been a hard hit to us all. If this can happen to him, who else is suffering out there? It's opened our eyes to the masks we wear to protect ourselves and others to the pain we go through. Let's try and make a positive out of this terrible tragedy.

Sorry to hear that DS :(
Continue being strong.

And thank you, so much. I'm actually crying a little bit here :)
God bless you! And to everyone who is suffering and fighting their battles. God bless you all and may he give you all the strength you need!

Hey man, I see your posts quite frequently when I lurk in the BvS boards :hehe:

And thanks :highfive: like I said, I've grown much chiller and calmer as I've grown older. Maybe a bit of an herbal remedy too :hehe: but that's a whole different topic altogether.

I have Cystic Fibrosis which is a hereditary illness, it mostly affects people with an increased production of Mucus in the lungs, we get get chest infections that often stay with us for life and are treated with medicine and nebulators and frequent hospital stays, we suffer malnutrition due to a protein metabolism deficiency and an inability to digest foods without pancreatine tablets, this causes us to develop slower, we tend to look younger than we are. Often we can't maintain our weight and have to have supplements and eventually feeding tubes to sustain ourselves

It used to be that the illness was fatal to the young, my brother died at eight years old in the 80s before I was born from it. But with advances in medicine some live in to their forties.

My Mum and Dad split up when I was a little kid, my Dad became an alcoholic after my brother died and until I was five years old me, my Sister and my Mum would moved around different refuges as my Dad would find us and convince Mum to take him back then after a short while of things being okay things would kick off again and we'd have to leave

I myself started getting ill enough to have to go into hospital frequently when I was eight, by twelve I had a gastrostomy tube to have liquid feelings overnight, this caused me to go into a depression I still suffer with today, it wasn't ideal having a tube in your stomach during puberty years, I lost a lot of body confidence and hid myself away. Over the years my Mum would take dad back when he found out where we lived, she'd kick him out for a while and he'd come back and it wasn't until I was fifteen that he was gone for good

By 20 I was very ill, needing oxygen to maintain myself and was on the organ donor list. My lung function was at just 15%

In 2007 just before my birthday I had a double lung transplant. This has drastically improved my health my lung function is now in the 60s, the only symptoms I suffer with now are my inability to digest foods so I still take my Pancreatine tablets as well as my many immune suppressant tablets.

This is something I frequently wrestle with. Although my body health is average to most people I'm still in the same mindset I was then, I haven't progressed much in my life, I'm essentially still where I was seven years ago. I often feel incredibly guilty because of this, I want to change my life and live and earn my lungs but I find it so hard to leave my comfort zone.

So I still suffer with Depression, I manage daily functions well but can't seem to break out

Hey man, I see your posts quite frequently when I lurk in the BvS boards :hehe:

And thanks :highfive: like I said, I've grown much chiller and calmer as I've grown older. Maybe a bit of an herbal remedy too :hehe: but that's a whole different topic altogether.
:funny:
As long as you're looking after yourself and gettingbon the mend :)

I have Cystic Fibrosis which is a hereditary illness, it mostly affects people with an increased production of Mucus in the lungs, we get get chest infections that often stay with us for life and are treated with medicine and nebulators and frequent hospital stays, we suffer malnutrition due to a protein metabolism deficiency and an inability to digest foods without pancreatine tablets, this causes us to develop slower, we tend to look younger than we are. Often we can't maintain our weight and have to have supplements and eventually feeding tubes to sustain ourselves

It used to be that the illness was fatal to the young, my brother died at eight years old in the 80s before I was born from it. But with advances in medicine some live in to their forties.

My Mum and Dad split up when I was a little kid, my Dad became an alcoholic after my brother died and until I was five years old me, my Sister and my Mum would moved around different refuges as my Dad would find us and convince Mum to take him back then after a short while of things being okay things would kick off again and we'd have to leave

I myself started getting ill enough to have to go into hospital frequently when I was eight, by twelve I had a gastrostomy tube to have liquid feelings overnight, this caused me to go into a depression I still suffer with today, it wasn't ideal having a tube in your stomach during puberty years, I lost a lot of body confidence and hid myself away. Over the years my Mum would take dad back when he found out where we lived, she'd kick him out for a while and he'd come back and it wasn't until I was fifteen that he was gone for good

By 20 I was very ill, needing oxygen to maintain myself and was on the organ donor list. My lung function was at just 15%

In 2007 just before my birthday I had a double lung transplant. This has drastically improved my health my lung function is now in the 60s, the only symptoms I suffer with now are my inability to digest foods so I still take my Pancreatine tablets as well as my many immune suppressant tablets.

This is something I frequently wrestle with. Although my body health is average to most people I'm still in the same mindset I was then, I haven't progressed much in my life, I'm essentially still where I was seven years ago. I often feel incredibly guilty because of this, I want to change my life and live and earn my lungs but I find it so hard to leave my comfort zone.

So I still suffer with Depression, I manage daily functions well but can't seem to break out
You've sure been through the mill as well.

It can be incredibly to break out your comfort zone. I know that myself. It's like you do want to go out and do things, but you rather be where you are.

And don't feel guilty about it. You can't help the way you feel. It can be a battle change. But you can change. You've been given a new lease on life, it shouldn't be wasted. Take steps to change. Not a leap. Keep telling yourself you can change, because deep down, you can. Depression can hold you back and it's easier said than being able to change with the click of fingers. Take steps and when you feel uncomfortable, go back to step one. But never give up on it. Depression will try it's damned hardest to keep you down, but you've got find something out there that you enjoy. Something that you don't have in your comfort zone. It can always be found if you look hard enough and only you can find. Tell yourself you'll live this life for OTHERS and then it'll eventually it'll be yourself again :)

It can be incredibly to break out your comfort zone. I know that myself. It's like you do want to go out and do things, but you rather be where you are.

That's exactly it.

And don't feel guilty about it. You can't help the way you feel. It can be a battle change. But you can change. You've been given a new lease on life, it shouldn't be wasted. Take steps to change. Not a leap. Keep telling yourself you can change, because deep down, you can. Depression can hold you back and it's easier said than being able to change with the click of fingers. Take steps and when you feel uncomfortable, go back to step one. But never give up on it. Depression will try it's damned hardest to keep you down, but you've got find something out there that you enjoy. Something that you don't have in your comfort zone. It can always be found if you look hard enough and only you can find. Tell yourself you'll live this life for OTHERS and then it'll eventually it'll be yourself again :)

Thanks Man :up:

Thank you for making the thread. It's amazing how cathartic it can be to simply talk about your problems and predispositions.

:up:

That's exactly it.

Thanks Man :up:
You're very welcome. And like I said, you can do it. Depression will hold you back, but take small steps to release yourself from its grip. Even if it takes you 10 year! You CAN do it :)

Thank you for making the thread. It's amazing how cathartic it can be to simply talk about your problems and predispositions.

:up:
It's no problem. It can be so hard to talk to people around you about the problems you face. But starting here or anywhere is a start and a brave one at that.

The Silver Surfer, Galactus, Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Ben Grimm, Johnny Storm, Alicia Masters, the Ultimate Nullifier, climate change, Zenn-La, Shalla-Bal, Uatu, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Annihulus, Dr. Doom...

Cyclops, I have my own medical issues too. I consider mine more manageable though this certainly can affect your mood and what you're trying to accomplish with your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"