What's the best toy version of G1 GRIMLOCK?

Discussion in 'Products' started by toddly6666, Sep 9, 2007.

1. lars573 Registered

If they did do Devastator it'd be Devastator. Not the constructicons one by one. So you'd have a 12-14 inch tall Devastator that could de-link into 6 smaller bots.

2. sto_vo_kor_2000 Registered

That would not follow Takara's words about the MP line.

Takara has stated that each of the MP toys would be in character scale with the rest of the line.

So the only "Smaller bots would be characters like the mini-bots of the tapes is they ever made them.

3. zanos Registered

I don't see why Devastator couldn't be 18 to 19 inches tall and look pretty up to scale. That's still huge by any stretch even if it's not completely accurate. I mean let's not get ridiculous here with the accuracy since the cartoon was never completely accurate either. Could Devastator really fit inside Astrotrain? Each constructicon probably wouldn't cost more than 25 - 30 dollars each if Hasbro decided to produce them.

4. sto_vo_kor_2000 Registered

Like I said, in keeping with Takara's words each Constructicon would be in the MP Starscream size range.

I'm not saying that Takara is not able to change their minds but so far they've kept the figures to their most consistent character model sizes.

And I dont think that they'll change from that practice for the MP line.

And making their combined form stand at 20 inches would make each robot's mode stand far shorter then MP Starscream.

Irrelivent since we're talking about their Robot character model sizes.

We'll even at the sizes your suggesting I expect a price tag of closer to $50 bucks.Maybe 38.99 to 42.99.

Remember Hasbro has been releasing these as store exclusives.

5. zanos Registered

At 20 inches tall that's not even necessarily true. Starscream is only about 8 inches tall. A constructicon could potentially be the same size in robot form. Like any of this even matters since the whole purpose of buying each constructicon is to form Devastator. At 20 inches he's tall enough.

Not irrelevant because if they're using the cartoon to base their accuracy on then it's completely open to interpetation.

Then that's perfectly reasonable. I would fully expect to pay $200+ for a Masterpiece Devastator.

6. sto_vo_kor_2000 Registered

For each character to stand at about 8inches Devastator with his head attached would have to stand at the very least 24 inches.

But I'll admit that is far smaller then I originally imagined.

No their useing the original character model designs to figure out their sizes not the actual episodes..

And in that there's no room for interpretation.The character models have very significant sizes as how they related to the other characters.

So its irrelevant that the shows animators werent able to be consistent since the MP toyline is being made to the scale of the character models.

Well at least we completely agree there.

7. 1987olds442 Registered

8. sto_vo_kor_2000 Registered

9. lars573 Registered

After you drop about $150 bucks.

10. Darthkush Avenger

wow, It's almost as if Takara is reaching inside of my brain and picking only my favorite characters for this lol. And yet, these things are an son of an b*tch to get withough shelling out major dough and combing all over the net to get an good deal. I wish I could just go to Walmart on these like i did with Optimus :csad:

11. Green Scar Registered

I spent $150 on MP Megatron...and will be more than happy to do the same again on MP Grimlock.

12. Darthkush Avenger

yeah, but wouldn't it be nice if we COULD get this at Toys R us or something? Or at least make the whole thing more fun by letting us vote on which characters we get. I mean, so far, they're going with straight fan favorites but I know some of us want Rodimus and Shockwave, etc. and I want to make sure we get as many favorites as possible before the line peters out, ya know?

13. sto_vo_kor_2000 Registered

Well at least a MP Grimlock ,unlike MP Megatron, is capable of being sold in U.S. stores like TRU or Walmart as an exclusive.

14. Green Scar Registered

unless we hear word that Hasbro will release this in the US before it gets released via Takara, I'm not going to wait.

15. sto_vo_kor_2000 Registered

Neither am I.

16. 1987olds442 Registered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just broke down and pre-ordered two MP-08 Grimlocks from HLJ.

Since it was the cheapest price I've seen online thus far and I have always had great experience with HLJ.

Early Bird Special Yen Price:12,350 About $127.21 USD; €99.01 Euros

Oh and I love that he comes with his comic book Crown... they can keep the serving tray & brain transfer device.

#41 1987olds442, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  17. The Lizard Didn't eat Billy

Newer big pics of MP-08 Grimlock proto here: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=10421&dispsize=600&start=0

Oh, I am so getting this.

EDIT: I placed my pre-order...yay!

$139.99 plus $10 shipping. Expensive, but I knew from the start of the "Masterpiece" series that Grimlock was really the only one I wanted.

Although I might be tempted by a Masterpiece version of Shockwave....

#42 The Lizard, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  18. knowsbleed Registered

He looks tiny. :csad:

19. lars573 Registered

He's about the same height as Masterpiece Starscream.

20. knowsbleed Registered

At least he's that big...

... but he should be huge. :csad:

21. lars573 Registered

OK I'm listening to TFW2005's podcast. They're saying he's a MP prime head shorter than MP Prime. Which would make him taller than Starscream.

22. The Lizard Didn't eat Billy

Agreed that MP Grimlock should be taller than MP Prime, particularly for $130+.

However, this will be the only MP Transformer I've bought so far, so I'm not really that concerned with how it looks on a shelf next to the other toys.

That being said, it would be pretty cool to get MP Skywarp and duplicate this scene on one's shelf:

[​IMG]

23. knowsbleed Registered

I can't stop coming into this thread. The pics are so awesome.

More pics please? :csad:

24. The Lizard Didn't eat Billy

[​IMG]

I really like what the designers did with the dino tail folding around into the lower leg in robot mode.

One complaint - it would have been nice if the claws of the dino foot could either retract or fold backwards against the arms in robot mode. The claws sticking straight out from the wrist were always kind of awkward looking on the old G1 Grimlock as well.

25. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G