What's the purpose of lip synching only sometimes?

zanos

Superhero
Reaction score
I've seen artists who have full bands and they'll lip synch a song sometimes when they're out promoting something somewhere but otherwise would sing it live. What is the purpose of this? I understand why no talent hacks who don't write or play their own music or have limited vocal range do it but they're consistent. You'll never hear them sing live ever. What I don't understand is when you see ppl playing instruments who lip synch and only do it sometimes.

I've seen artists who have full bands and they'll lip synch a song sometimes when they're out promoting something somewhere but otherwise would sing it live. What is the purpose of this? I understand why no talent hacks who don't write or play their own music or have limited vocal range do it but they're consistent. You'll never hear them sing live ever. What I don't understand is when you see ppl playing instruments who lip synch and only do it sometimes.
There are a variety of reasons, but I think the most-often occuring one is probably fatigue. These performers are on their feet (more often than not), under very-hot stage lights, in front of a screaming crowd, trying to focus on music...that can't possibly by easy at all, so many of them lip-synch certain songs (usually ones with an abundance of higher notes), and sing the rest live.

There are a variety of reasons, but I think the most-often occuring one is probably fatigue. These performers are on their feet (more often than not), under very-hot stage lights, in front of a screaming crowd, trying to focus on music...that can't possibly by easy at all, so many of them lip-synch certain songs (usually ones with an abundance of higher notes), and sing the rest live.

Or 'acid-reflux'

If they're performing on a TV show, sometimes the producers of the show want them to lip-synch for whatever reason. These reruns of Soul Train from the 70s have shown me nothing but lip-synched performances. From bands. With instruments that they're not playing.

I think it's from being worn out too. Either that or there is a problem with the sound system. You'll never hear the Foo Fighters lipsync though.

My two big problems with lipsyncing are two-fold.

1. Even if it doesn't sound as good as the studio version of the song, I still wanna hear it live. If I wanted to hear the studio version, I would listen to it at home.

2. It prevents change ups or spontaneity in the concert. It hurts the bands ability to interact with the audience.

If they're performing on a TV show, sometimes the producers of the show want them to lip-synch for whatever reason. These reruns of Soul Train from the 70s have shown me nothing but lip-synched performances. From bands. With instruments that they're not playing.

Also makes sure that they play the right song without the bad words on television.

Unlike that time Nirvana just played the song that the producers told them not to.

Some artists sing live but have certain notes prerecorded. I know Mariah Carey does that often, and so do a lot of broadway stars.

Doesn't lip syncing occur a lot with "performers" who feel that a flashy dance routine is more important than a decent live vocal?

Well, ever since the Motown 25 show, Michael Jackson has traditionally lip-synched his stage performances of "Billie Jean", so he can focus on the dance steps.

I think there are times some bands should lip synch when on TV promoting thigns. I remember way back when there first major album came out, Evanescence did a song on Leno (there second single, cant remember it's name right now). But the point is, Amy Lee sounded just f**king terrible. I dont know if she was sick or something, but her usually good vocals were just crap. They should have lip synched that there, just for simple buisness reasons.

Alot of interesting ideas so far. I guess it comes down to business. I suppose if your band was going to sing for a tv talk show with alot of ppl watching who aren't necessarily fans you may want to be heard with perfect pitch and everything. I got to say though that if the music is any good to begin with and especially if it's already being played on the radio then ppl will go out and buy it. I don't think anyone has ever bought an album after watching some artist lip sync their song perfectly on some talk show before.

Alot of interesting ideas so far. I guess it comes down to business. I suppose if your band was going to sing for a tv talk show with alot of ppl watching who aren't necessarily fans you may want to be heard with perfect pitch and everything. I got to say though that if the music is any good to begin with and especially if it's already being played on the radio then ppl will go out and buy it. I don't think anyone has ever bought an album after watching some artist lip sync their song perfectly on some talk show before.
Good point. In fact, I've been convinced to look up bands after seeing them give damn good live performances.

Also makes sure that they play the right song without the bad words on television.

Unlike that time Nirvana just played the song that the producers told them not to.

we used to have a weekly music show in the UK called top of the pops. It was usually pre-recorded, and occasionally they used to have a live show. people led to believe that this meant the acts performed live, what it actually meant was the bands were told to mime when the show was broadcast live.

there are two specific occasions that stick in my mind where band went against this. the first was ropey prog rock act marillion, where the lead singer had lost his voice, so he mimed whilst having the words on a note pad and he pointed at them

the second was faith no more with from out of nowhere. Mike patton just spent the time on stange simulating ******io with the mic. was as funny as hell,

My word the last one I saw was disgusting but they weren't bands. They just seemed like this was the first time they've ever performed the song. Ugh, it was really painful to watch.

Nothing beats live singing. Lip synching is only ok if the performer is ill and they admit beforehand that they're going to be doing it. To try and pass it off as live when it's not really irritates me.

there's generally a big difference between a performer and a band; bands will rarely go on to perform lipsyncing . . . but a lot of performers who have different aspects of one show, like dancing, etc. can't sound good singing for real and performing at the same time, so they compromise . . .

Justin Timberlake absolutely fkn rules though because I saw his HBO concert, and he SNAPPED on the dance routines, and didn't lipsync at ALL :up: :up: :up:

DV8 said:
Justin Timberlake absolutely fkn rules though because I saw his HBO concert, and he SNAPPED on the dance routines, and didn't lipsync at ALL :up: :up: :up:
He lip-synched most of "Like I love You" a few years ago, at his very first solo VMA performance (with the huge boombox setpiece). You can tell because the audio sounds a great deal like the CD version.

As a musician and singer, I DESPISE lip synching. I know there are certain times with television where the producers of a show insist on it, but otherwise I find it inexcusable, a cop-out and short-changing the audience. :down

jag

I always fantasized about being a young, drugged up band of Glammy Bad Boys in the late 60's/early 70's, getting on Top of the Pops, being forced to lip sync, and just standing there blank faced, totally still while the song plays...or running around like Daffy Duck. :(

I pay to experience people perform their music live, not listen to a recording which I could just as easily listen to on my mp3 player (and for a whole hell of a lot cheaper.)

Or 'acid-reflux'

Acid reflux exists. I have it. And as for Ashlee Simpson, she does too. I used to watch her show on a religious basis, and on one episode, she was diagnosed with it. It was while she was still recording her first CD. She had to have regular doctor visits and voice training to prevent permanently ruining her voice beacuse of AR.

I know acid reflux exists. I've seen the commercials for the pill that treats it.

It's just she should have stepped out on that one... not used a skippy track and ditch her band when it went south.

I agree with you there. She should've said she couldn't do it. It was her dad's idea for her to lip sync on SNL in the first place because her throat was hurting too much for her to sing herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"