What's your religion ???

Originally posted by Max Shrek
I am Christain(though not a demonination, because I have my own beliefs, and no Bible expert who thinks he's God's chosen one is gonna tell me different). Though if there's one thing I hate more than far-right insane Christains, it's Athiests who think that our religion is stupid, and we are stupid believing in it. I respect yours, why don't you respect mine(then again, with Christains like Jerry Faldwell and Mindworm, who could blame you?).

I am Christain(though not a demonination, because I have my own beliefs, and no Bible expert who thinks he's God's chosen one is gonna tell me different). Though if there's one thing I hate more than far-right insane Christains, it's Athiests who think that our religion is stupid, and we are stupid believing in it. I respect yours, why don't you respect mine(then again, with Christains like Jerry Faldwell and Mindworm, who could blame you?).

100% Agreed.

I am a Christian and I won't attack others beliefs because they don't match mine.I have my own interpretation of God.

From that list, I'd say a christian, but I'm more of a half-christian, an Agnostic

John Lennon
Imagine
Imagine there's no heaven,It's easy if you try,No hell below us, Above us only sky, Imagine all the peopleliving for today...Imagine there's no countries, It isnt hard to do, Nothing to kill or die for, No religion too, Imagine all the people living life in peace...You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, I hope some day you'll join us, And the world will be as one Imagine no possesions, I wonder if you can, No need for greed or hunger, A brotherhood of man, imagine all the people Sharing all the world...You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, I hope some day you'll join us, And the world will live as one.

Hmmm yes... I wanna shout out to Mr White.

I pity you brother. I see the influence of oppression in your words and clueless ideals, as clearly as your souless 'agent' avatar. Its all too fitting, though I'm sure labelling your mechanical and blatantly non-spiritual nature escaped your intentions. One of the countless ironies in this world that have put a brief smile on my face, all of which I thank god for.
How can you and yours say we believers merely jump at a simple answer? I see reason where you see 'coinsidence', and I see creativity where you see fluke or 'evolution'. Our beliefs are the ones truely complicating pysical understanding... an understanding that has consumed you Mr White.

For the record, Im one of the 'no religion and I like it that way' votes. Which couldnt be true enough. I respect every religion for the grounds of which it began and thrives to this day, but I do not support any man made system of control. Or character regulation of any kind.
But those among us who blame religion for man's faults, or see any form of 'ignorance' in its ways should take a few perspective steps backwards. Those of you who live purely for pysical existence are the true fools, you have seleceted your god. And it is man's own blind advancements or 'government' for whom you have happily bent over and had your asses pumped full of lies, money, laws and all of your non-believing obsenities. You've been defiled and raped by a system that reaks of a demon's craftings.

Forgive any disrespect you may have interpreted, but its really my pity you have earned. Your minds have not opened yet, and may never until YOU -free of religion or influence- choose to see gods origional will in every aspect of the remaining gifts around us. I'm a tree hugging hippy and I'm ****in proud of it. What!

Lazarus440 and anybody else who's interested.

These are the seven principles of Unitarian Universalism

We affirm and promote:

The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;

Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;

Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Basically other than these principals (and even these are loosly based, some of the anarchists don't like the one on democratic process in society at large) you can beleive whatever you believe to find your own spiritual meaning.

I am an atheist and I also have no religious convictions.I am sure this thread is probably full of existential debates and whatnot which I would love to partake in but I am have not read through it yet.

Adddendum:I am an AGNOSTIC atheist, according to the Huxlian usage.For those unfamiliar, agnosticism is NOT "I am unsure", agnosticism is the conviction that the question of God's existence is an insoluable one(re:unfalsifiable hypothesis in scientific terms).

Originally posted by spiderrasmon
there is only one God. yes, I know that's considered monotheism.

Oh, the Bible does mention other "gods", but mainly in the reference of false idols (wooden 'gods' made by man), angels and demons (worshipped with a reverence similar to God, and considered 'god' by man... again), and even Jesus Christ, God's only-begotten son, come to Earth as a man, was called a 'god' (unbeknownst to the one calling him such, an inaccurate assessment).

But there is only one God, he has a name, and it would really pain much of this world to find out the truth the hard way.

You are simply regurgitating Pascal's wager here.PW has been thoroughly refuted a hundred thousand times but still the fallacious argument persists.
Without rational justification to support YOUR particular god-claim then your god is no more likely than ANY god to exist.Therefore, if it turns out that the God of Islamic terrorists IS the one true God or that Satan or some other trickster is the supreme ruler of the universe, then you are in at least as much trouble as any atheist and your choice to worship Yahweh will cost you as dearly as if you had chosen Vishnu, Odin or Eric Clapton.

Technically there are MANY gods that DO exist.Unfortunately none of them are supernatural.They are wooden idols, deified mad emperors and natural phenomenoae(i.e. the sun).In this context I am an atheist because I do not willingly worship anything as a god.
In the scientific sense I am an atheist becasue I do not believe in the existence of things which cannot be demonstrated to exist or whose existence is not rationally inferred.

If it is one thing I have learned it is that resorting to name calling/ad hominems is no way to advance a position.However, i have also come to realise that if an atheist dares to point out fallacies in the logic/reasoning of a thesit's particular argument, they immediately begin jumping up and down screaming about how they have been slandered and abused.

You are right to say that attacks on the person are a no-no.However critical analysis of an argument or line of reasoning is completely fair game and you should not assume you are being called "stupid".I am not saying this is what you are doing.Maybe the atheists here ARE(unlike the overwhelming majority) abusive and unecessarilly disrespectful.

Again, no one is obligated to respect someone's beliefs in a debate about said beliefs/lack of beliefs.If someone comes here and tells me "God exists and he loves you" then I am fully within my rights to ask "WHy do you believe this?" and if they respond with logical fallacies and vaccuous, bald assertions about "the promise of Heaven" and whatnot then I am again within my rights to point out that their claim is not rationally justified.

If they attempt to convert me through threats of damnation I am right to say "Bollocks!".

Originally posted by Slang - J'C
Wow everybody wanna piece of slang eh Skeptic? Yeah I do kinda associate government with lack of spirituality... seeing as how its the biggest step of development away from any divine influence. No I aint no bigot. I'm a broke ass drug addict who raps and makes art to feed myself... I dont see much room for any more inferiority. My pity is completely bonafide, and I do feel you are missing a valuable part of life, the only part that has kept me going all these years.

I could care less how you feel about the relationship of government to spirituality.What I am concerned about is that you seem to equate lack of spirituality with inferiority(or worse?).To do so, you must embark on a series of presuppositions...

1)You must presuppose that "spirit" or "spiritual things" exist.(here I am assuming by "spiritual" you are meaning the non-physical/supernatural usage).

2)You must presuppose the ultimate source of that spirituality to be "good" and that "goodness" to be some objectively definable quality.

3)Finally you must presuppose that lack of conviction in "spirituality" is equivalent to "not good" and deserving of "bad karma" adn such.

An awful lot of presupposition.

I'm semi religious. I believe there is a God, but I don't like organzied religion. I mean seriously, Jesus was a poor man, he lived simply. God, for all his immense power, isn't a wealthy man either... so why do we have to worship in these expensive churches full of false idols (man's interpretation of what Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, and Angels would look like), especially when we are constantly told to pray for the less fortunate. You know, the amount of money that went into and still goes into the building and maintence of the church could probably feed a good amount the hungry, clothe the naked, and give shelter to the homeless.

Anyway, I'd thought I'd stir the pot a bit with a speech from a script I just wrote. In fact, I think this is a completely original thought because I've never heard anyone speak of it this way. This has been edited:

"Imagine if you, your life, your fantasies, your dreams, your desires, everything you chose to be, and everything you want to become were nothing more than lies? What if your status in life was permanent and there would be no breaking from it? In the beginning, God only created the Heavens. He created us, the Angels, and we lived in a paradise. But there was one power that God has no control over. That power of absolute opposites. For every good, there must be an evil. Before your history even began, an angel named Lucifer decided he didn’t want to be a citizen under God anymore. He decided that he was going to usurp power and take the throne. He even raised an army. They failed, and God banished him into what is called Hell. Absolute opposites. The ultimate good versus the ultimate evil. Lucifer was so enraged at being cast out of paradise that he continued to wage a war with Heaven. Unfortunately, both our sides were limited and both sides suffered heavy casualties. When God and Lucifer began to realize that their once vast numbers were now dwindling, the two met, for the first and only time. They decided that in order to continue the war, for each wanted absolute victory, they would need to build a plane of existence where they could harvest, at certain times, more and more souls for their armies. So they created Earth."

HMPH! I'm orthodox, and am absolutely furious that it wasn't included! :D

Originally posted by Bapman
JUDISM was founded in EGYPT... CHRISTISNITY in ROME
and ISLAM in ARAB...
and do you know non of them had contact with each other ???
Originally posted by Bapman
................... I get the distinct feeling that you have no idea how the religions where spread through people

All of them... had books... in the books... were the all the incidents that took place.

Now... how did the incidents from JUDISM... end up in the BIBLE... and how did THOSE 2... end up in the Q`ran... when non of them had any contact with each other.

The JEWS didn't get rid of JESUS... it was the people who didn't believe in him... and it wasn't NOAH's people who tried to kill MOSES... again... these are the people who worshipped IDOLS
Same with MOHAMMAD.

Sooo how do they have the same stories ???
I don't know much about Islam, but I can explain the Christianity/Judism thing.

To put it simply, Judism and Christianity are the same religion, except the Jews didn't accept Jesus as the son of God. Both Jews and Christians worship the same God, which is why Christians have the Old Testimant (the Jewish holy text) as part of their own holy text. It is the New Testimant that sets the religions apart and makes them different. Christians and Jews both believe in the Old Testimant, and that part of their religion is the same. It is just the New Testimant that sets them apart. :)

Originally posted by the defenders
1)Buddhism is not a religion,It's a philosophy, and yes I am buddhist
Yes, it started off as a philosophy, and Buddha stressed that he was not to be worshiped as a god, that he was simply a wise man who had been enlightened, and had shared his knowledge. However nowadays he is more or less seen as a god. In many of the Buddhist temples around the world (I've been to several in China, I can't speak for elsewhere) they have big statues of Buddha, and people go and pray and worship him.

Wait a sec... Unitarian Universalism, at least that's what emode says my religon should be.

Originally posted by LadyVader
Wait a sec... Unitarian Universalism, at least that's what emode says my religon should be.

What religion are you?

Originally posted by Sandman138
What religion are you?

Jedi. :D
I believe in the force.
BTW, did you know that the whole Force concept is based on taoism, an asian religion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"