What's your view of the definitive Batman costume?

It's hard to choose that's why I named five definitive batsuits here but if I had to choose I go with Arkham Asylum suit it's pretty close to comics. I hate batsuits designs him looking like Iron Man. Look at you Nolan in TDK/R.

Last edited:
BatmanJustice.jpg

That one for me!

Blue and grey, especially when drawn by

Neal Adams

batman-neal-adams50.jpg

Jim Aparo (at his peak and when inked by himself at the same level as Neal Adams)

12312220972279.jpg

Jos -Luis Garcia-Lopez

jose+luis+garcia+lopez.+dc+comics+style+guide.+batman.+013.jpg

But those guys might (have) also drawn a great suit in other colors. Who knows. I am open to a more black-grey thing but there hasn't been anyone who matched those above yet.

Last edited:
The Neal Adams Batman is a design classic. It is so sparing and precise in its balance of elements. Most post 80s designs look like awkward, over-muscled, over-cluttered junk by comparison.

I like all the love the Blue/Gray/Yellow Oval outfit is getting.

Its entirely deserved, and I hope we see that outfit again someday.

I forgot Norm Breyfolge who took the old design of nice Uncle 70s Batman and turned into something more demonic looking for the 80s:

batmanrobin.jpg

07-12-2010+01%3B24%3B16PM.jpg

With his "POV" shots that put you kinda in the perspective of a criminal:

batman-4551.png

Why do they not use those POV shots in Batman movies? There it would fit.

Also forgot Rogers, who brings some nice angularity in, I love the ears:

scn_0004.jpg

Those five are the best when it comes to the Batman costume and all of them are blue-grey so my choice is obvious

What are the chances we'll ever see the Blue/Grey/gold emblem in live action?:csad:

It will turn up in some form one-day. I suppose that precise balance of colours is a product of limitations in the printing process at the time, however. I don't complain that Batman's jaw isn't bright pink in the movies.

I still think jet black is cooler for the movies...at least the cowl. You can always catch blue highlights with lighting and simulate the same effect. Something about the jet black cowl is just so iconic and badass to me and seems fitting for the big screen.

However, one thing I definitely think would be cool for future incarnations would be if the inside of the cape was blue, ala TAS. It doesn't really make sense in a practical sense, but in an artistic sense it makes for a nice contrast with the rest of the suit- be it all black or gray/black.

However, one thing I definitely think would be cool for future incarnations would be if the inside of the cape was blue, ala TAS. It doesn't really make sense in a practical sense, but in an artistic sense it makes for a nice contrast with the rest of the suit- be it all black or gray/black.

So... what exactly makes sense about the costume?

So... what exactly makes sense about the costume?

I just meant in terms of the costume being something designed for Batman to be stealthy and intimidating. Having the inside of the cape blue would provide a contrast with the rest of the suit that would make him more easily visible...however I think that look could potentially be really cool, so that's why I'd be curious if they could make something like that work on film.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if we saw the oval anytime soon. I imagine the suit for Affleck to have the big black bat on top of (hopefully) some gray.

Im sure Affleck will have black and grey only. If there is some blue ill be surprised, but i guess it's a possibility.

I dont see the yellow oval symbol happening for decades.

Other than the practicality argument, why is the oval so unpopular? Many Batman fans must have grown up with it like I did, it lasted for over 30 years before the black bat was reintroduced into regular continuity.

Last edited:
I don't know that it is unpopular. I don't accept the practicality argument against it either: if Batman was about stealth alone, he wouldn't bother with the natty costume, and it is practical for a symbol that is intended to be seen to be visible.

I like it because when a dark, monstrous figure is slowing gliding towards some crook, the only thing that hood is going to see is that oval and there will be no question as to who rules the night.

I don't know that it is unpopular. I don't accept the practicality argument against it either: if Batman was about stealth alone, he wouldn't bother with the natty costume, and it is practical for a symbol that is intended to be seen to be visible.

Plus he's had a big yellow belt FOREVER. Would it really be all that better to have gunfire attracted to it and get shot in the abdomen? Seriously, he's got two big handles on his head, and a big cape that people could grab or even he himself could trip on, and somehow a yellow symbol is what's going to get him killed?

Last edited:
Most Anti-Oval arguments are flimsy, to be honest.

Eh, it's all preference. Both oval and no-oval have their merits.

What's your view of the definitive Batman costume?

That there isn't one. There are elements of the costume that are unchangeable, like the ears and the cape, but there are so many different ways to go with the look that are all basically valid.

True, and I wish people would just say "I like the black bat more" instead of making up contrived excuses for why the oval dosen't work.

Exactly. The only reason I would rather see the plain black bat, is that I personally like it more, as simple as that, no bogus rationalizing.

Blue, grey, oval.

It's what I grew up reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"