When its all said and done

Serene said:
I wonder about the number of comic readers vs. the number of tv viewers (granted with some overlap). My gut says that TV viewers probably FAR outweigh the former.. but I guess I could be mistaken.

Nice points, Max. :up:

FWIW, I was a pretty big comics fan as a kid, but the superhero comics were only a small part of what I read. Comic love faded, the Superman movie came out, and CR's Superman was definitive for me until Smallville. The show inspired me to start buying a few of the Superman TPBs (as well as a few others) again, but I still find that the show excites me more. Although I do think it's unfair, and not really possible to compare the two mediums.

The arrogance of comic fanboys crosses the line for me when they are so insecure in their own interests, that they feel the need to put down others. I love SV to death, but that doesn't mean I don't have a healthy respect for the depth and history of comic book canon. Why that so rarely works in reverse is beyond me.

Word. :up:

I'm a lot like you, although I mostly read Superman as a kid, and read a lot of comics growing up. I did read some Marvel titles (Spiderman and Hulk mainly, I believe) but Supes was my guy. I stopped buying them at one point and never thought I'd read them again.

Now, thanks to Smallville, have started buying the TPB's when I have the dough. I really enjoy the medium. They're so much better than they used to be too. The art is better and so are the stories.

A book, when beautiful artwork is combined with a good story, can be a very satisfying experience but it's like comparing apples and oranges when you want to compare that to a TV show.

Smallville can be very exciting and an extremely satisfying as well.

Personally, I prefer Smallville to a book but that doesn't mean I think less of the comic book medium or the people who like the books more than the show.

It'll definitely be remembered as one of the best tv shows related to superman's story ever made. For me that's mostly because of Lex Luthor's story. the man could have his own show and I'd still watch. What an excellent character, and actor to play him.

Wesyeed said:
that's mostly because of Lex Luthor's story. the man could have his own show and I'd still watch. What an excellent character, and actor to play him.

I'll give you that. :up: Michael is cool, though his character is overall cool (has had alot of rough spots and bad characterization at times) of no fault of Mike....its mainly the writing, espeically in season 4.

Heres hoping Lex is no longer anyones tool in season 6 and stops changing his mind whether he wants to be good or evil. I hope he wisens up to alot of the obvious stuff he seems totally oblivious too also.

The Incredible Hulk said:
dont worry, not everyone who reads the comics is a pompous jackass. I've been reading them since 1979, and dont think less of those who enjoy the character without reading them. If Smallville got you into the character that's cool, if it made you pickup a comic for the first time in 10 years (like me), even better, if not, no big deal. frankly, for the major part of the past 15 years the Superman comics have been terrible anyway, with a few decent exceptions, so it's not like you've been missing out on much.

Boy, are you right...
I feel the same way too.

Personally, I think the last 15 years have been good to Superman. Sure, there have been some crappy stories. But there have also been some good and even brilliant ones. For All Seasons springs to mind. As does Greg Rucka's Adventures of Superman.

Up, Up and Away is rocking.

The Death/Reign of the Supermen/ Return of Superman is still my favorite.

All the stuff from this decade is awesome too. My other recent favorite read was "This was your life Superman"....

The 3 part arc where Superman and Golden Age Superman live each other's lives and re-evaluate themselves. The Infinite Crisis stuff was truly a treat.

BaK said:
doll called you.. wants her brain back..

And you would know this because you talk to dolls...:confused:

Sorry, I'm not into that sick stuff.... but whatever does it for you.

Kane said:
And you would know this because you talk to dolls...:confused:
well, since even your dolls put you on "ignore list", somebody had to..

:rolleyes: Clearly you havent otherwise your bullsh^t responses wouldnt be continuing.

Maybe you should take a hint and do that so I wont have to keep owning you.

Stop the infantile arguing.

Kane....do not bring up Superman Returns or Routh in here again.

C. Lee said:
Kane....do not bring up Superman Returns or Routh in here again.

Well it was only a specific question for The Question, but like I already said, next time I'll PM him instead.

Kane said:
Well it was only a specific question for The Question, but like I already said, next time I'll PM him instead.
I read that....and that's why I only said this instead of going further....but I don't want to see it anymore.

Kane said:
Maybe you should take a hint and do that so I wont have to keep owning you.
I had a feeling you're a ******, thanks for clearing it up.. :up:

BaK said:
I had a feeling you're a ******, thanks for clearing it up.. :up:
You just earned a weeks probation.

Isnt Birthright the official Post-Infinite Crisis origin now? They seemed to imply that by saying there were sightings of Superman before he came to metropolis, ala Birthright. Also, I heard something about how they were going to introduce Chloe into the comics back in like, 2003-04? That ever actually happen? Already said was the re-introduction of different types of Kryptonite, also the fact that there's now more than one piece of Kryptonite that came to earth with Clark.

The Joker said:
Isnt Birthright the official Post-Infinite Crisis origin now? They seemed to imply that by saying there were sightings of Superman before he came to metropolis, ala Birthright. Also, I heard something about how they were going to introduce Chloe into the comics back in like, 2003-04? That ever actually happen? Already said was the re-introduction of different types of Kryptonite, also the fact that there's now more than one piece of Kryptonite that came to earth with Clark.
No it is not. The new origin is coming out soon it is to be more based on the movies then anything else.

do we know if lex will still be a childhood friend?

Kaboom said:
do we know if lex will still be a childhood friend?

I think thats being removed. It contradicts too much and this new origins was designed to ease the contradicts that Birthright created with the existing timeline.

but the exisiting time line is different now, because of superboys punching of the universe...god that was so stupid...

Its only slightly different. It doesnt contradict history as boldly as Birthright did.

They basically mentioned the only 2 differences in the end of IC. One ties to the new silverage-inspired origins of Superman....the other is a tie with Batman Begins involving Joe Chill actually being on trial.

actually the joe chill thing is from the silver age too...

I know but it was ignored for some time in the postcrisis (since Zero Hour?) cant recall the details.

But Begins made it a popular detail to use once again in the origins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"