Guardians of the Galaxy Where's the love for NOVA???

I don't really agree with that. I think it was Spider-Man that really convinced people that superhero movies could still work, after the disaster that was Batman & Robin. Blade only made $70 million in the U.S. Spidey made more than that in ONE weekend. It was certainly a modest hit and probably helped put the current comic book movie boom in motion, but I really don't think it gets the credit for setting it off.

Plus, Blade also fits into a different sort of genre. It's a superhero film to some extent, but vampires are generally a different area of geekdom. There are people out there who go to see ANY movie that has to do with vamps who have ZERO interest in superheroes.

I don't really agree with that. I think it was Spider-Man that really convinced people that superhero movies could still work, after the disaster that was Batman & Robin. Blade only made $70 million in the U.S. Spidey made more than that in ONE weekend. It was certainly a modest hit and probably helped put the current comic book movie boom in motion, but I really don't think it gets the credit for setting it off.

Plus, Blade also fits into a different sort of genre. It's a superhero film to some extent, but vampires are generally a different area of geekdom. There are people out there who go to see ANY movie that has to do with vamps who have ZERO interest in superheroes.

I think what Blade did was show studios that there is money to be made on these properties. What Spider-Man did was show that there is big money to be made on these properties.

Perhaps. But remember... this film has to make BIG money. Because it's going to take big money to make it.

Oh definitely, this movie is going to need a $150 million budget.

Yeah, that's why it's such a risk. I applaud Marvel for giving it a shot but... if they don't pull this off, it could set back the genre.

I always liked Nova, he's one of my fav Marvel cosmic characters, along with Star Lord, and the GOTG, but I don't really think he should be in this movie. This movie should just focus on GOTG, and save Nova for later. I think they should maybe wait, and see how they do with this movie, and start on planning Nova's introduction later.

What about X-Men?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why it's such a risk. I applaud Marvel for giving it a shot but... if they don't pull this off, it could set back the genre.

Even if it was a colossal failure, it's not going to set back the genre, no more than Green Lantern did. We're well past the point whether Hollywood thinks superhero movies are profitable or not. After a good number of movies have come close to making a billion dollars or made more, they know that it's a viable genre. Moreover, we now have a movie studio dedicated solely to making comic book movies, so the genre will be just fine.

I think we're arguing two different things actually. I think Marvel takes into account what's popular within the comic community when it makes those decisions on who to bring forward into movies and tv. I still wouldn't rule out Nova making an appearance in this movie. Not saying it's the major sticking point in their decision making but they do take it into account. It's why I think a character like Hawkeye made it into Avengers.
But wasnt Iron Man only a b-list hero before the movie was announced? Arguably not anywhere near how big he is seen now. I dont think the popularity among the comic fans matter, I think theyre going for diversity and good scripts/ides/pitches before anything else when deciding what movies they're doing.

More importantly, he was B-list in the sense that he had little meaningful public exposure. Remember, what people who read comics know is basically irrelevant, as there are too few of us to matter.

But wasnt Iron Man only a b-list hero before the movie was announced? Arguably not anywhere near how big he is seen now. I dont think the popularity among the comic fans matter, I think theyre going for diversity and good scripts/ides/pitches before anything else when deciding what movies they're doing.

I honestly don't know where this idea that Iron Man was a B list Marvel character started. You're certainly not the first person to say that.

If they do have him.. Please don't make him as weak as he is in US.. he doesn't have to destroy planets either.. A good balance for moviegoers and comic-readers alike

More importantly, he was B-list in the sense that he had little meaningful public exposure. Remember, what people who read comics know is basically irrelevant, as there are too few of us to matter.

Iron Man's profile prior to his film is greatly underplayed. He had his own animated series in the 90s, and had been appearing (though admittedly almost always along side bigger names like Spider-Man, Hulk, Cap, and Wolverine) on tv shirts, coffee mugs, coloring books, in video games, action figure lines, etc. for several years.

He was definitely several levels above where GotG are now. Basically (prior to films), the marvel characters that have made it to the silver screen could be ranked this way:

A-List (Extremely High public awareness): Spider-Man, X-Men
B-List (High public awareness): Fantastic 4, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Avengers
C-List (some level of public awareness): Daredevil, Punisher, Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider
D-List (Little or no public awareness): Blade, Man-Thing

All of the new franchises on Marvel's slate are C-list at best...Maybe more towards D-list. I think saying GoTG are anywhere near the point Iron Man was before his first movie is a gross overstatement.

Nova is pretty awesome. But, as previously mentioned, Star-Lord is gearing up to be the lead character and audience surrogate. including Nova in the the sequel will clear up space in a movie that already is filled with having to introduce 5 brand new (to the MCU), largely unknown characters as well as a whole cosmic storyline that's only been barely hinted at in "Avengers". Plus, right off the bat, Nova might be seen as being too similar to Green Lantern, which is a film that left a stigma Marvel will want to steer well away from.

A-List (Extremely High public awareness): Spider-Man, X-Men
B-List (High public awareness): Fantastic 4, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Avengers
C-List (some level of public awareness): Daredevil, Punisher, Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider
D-List (Little or no public awareness): Blade, Man-Thing

Hulk should probably be an A-lister, mainly due to the 70's tv series.

Hulk should probably be an A-lister, mainly due to the 70's tv series.

Hulk and Captain America are like Wonder Woman, cuspers in my eyes...both are below true A-listers (Spider-Man, X-Men on marvel, Superman and Batman in DC) but above true B-listers (Flash, Green Lantern DC, Iron Man, Thor in Marvel.)

I'd say post Avengers though, Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, and Thor are all A-list.

well be careful what you ask for. im a HUGE Nova fan....Richard Rider Nova that is. and i wouldnt be surprised to see him pop up, hes been linked to the GoTG a lot recently. they go together pretty good actually. but the only Nova ive seen Marvel use lately is annoying Jeph Loebs kid Nova. and i want NO parts of that clown. and Richard hasnt been a teenager in a while. he stepped up his game big time as a leader and as a powerhouse. his powerlevels have gotten pretty crazy here lately. he pretty much CAN destroy planets. so a little depowering wouldnt hurt. lol

Yeah, the Nova that has been showing up in Ultimate Spider-Man is actually that *****e Sam Alexander, the most terrible character ever that seems won't go away.

so glad im not alone in my Sam Alexander hate. has nothing to do with him replacing Rich. the character is just loud, obnoxious, grating, and just plain bad. lol

I haven't met one person that likes Sam Alexander.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"