Which Cast is Better?

Nick Fury may very well be the worst example one could use in defense of turning white characters black for the movie. Sam Jackson Fury goes back to The Ultimates and characters fairly regularly are drastically different in alternate universe comics. Ultimate Fury was extremely popular with the fans and was already making the transition into other media before Iron Man came out. Casting Sam Jackson was less "let's be diverse for the sake of diversity" and more "let's use the version modern fans actually care about".

Wait, so how is switching Blade's race problematic? Nothing about his backstory requires him to be black, so what's the issue? Why can't we have a Chris Evans, Tom Hardy, or Christian Bale as Bane? Why is casting to his race suddenly important, moreso than with a character like Johnny Storm, who will still retain his white sister in this movie?

Apparently according to you it's okay to take a white character and turn them black, but taking a black character and turning them white? Oh yeah, that's off limits. Oh, the hypocrisy...

As for Nick Fury and Electro, Nick Fury and Electro aren't Johnny Storm. They're not a member of Marvel's first superhero team, and one of the biggest superhero teams in comics. Simply put, the Fantastic Four are more important. Changing around a C-List villain like Electro doesn't matter, because Electro as a character has never really mattered much to begin with. The Fantastic Four, however, are important, and more care should be taken to get them right.

That's not to say I wouldn't have preferred a Nick Fury and Electro closer to the comics, and I wouldn't have minded an adaptation of Electro's costume either, but again, the Fantastic Four are far more important than Nick Fury and Electro. So while it does bug me, it's nowhere near as much as the casting of Johnny Storm (That and I have no interest in The Amazing Spider-Man movie series. I didn't see the first and I won't be seeing this one either).

If people want more black characters in CBM's, then great, let's see Luke Cage, Black Panther, Bishop, War Machine, Photon, Crimson Avenger, Falcon, Blue Marvel, Icon, Static, Cyborg, John Stewart, Blade, Deathlok, etc. But I don't and won't support the mangling of my favorite characters just to meet some PC quota. The Fantastic Four's been around for 50 years for good reason. So how about making an actual Fantastic Four movie instead of whatever this movie's supposed to be?

Well put -

Looking at the three main black Marvel characters we have gotten on screen thus far - Storm, War Machine, and Falcon - from a story stand point there is NO reason for any of them to be black - their race has ZERO to do with their character as portrayed in the movie - but had they been changed to anything other than black in the films I am confident those of us objecting to this pointless change in Johnny Storm would be reacting the same way.

Wait, so how is switching Blade's race problematic? Nothing about his backstory requires him to be black, so what's the issue? Why can't we have a Chris Evans, Tom Hardy, or Christian Bale as Bane? Why is casting to his race suddenly important, moreso than with a character like Johnny Storm, who will still retain his white sister in this movie?

Apparently according to you it's okay to take a white character and turn them black, but taking a black character and turning them white? Oh yeah, that's off limits. Oh, the hypocrisy...

As for Nick Fury and Electro, Nick Fury and Electro aren't Johnny Storm. They're not a member of Marvel's first superhero team, and one of the biggest superhero teams in comics. Simply put, the Fantastic Four are more important. Changing around a C-List villain like Electro doesn't matter, because Electro as a character has never really mattered much to begin with. The Fantastic Four, however, are important, and more care should be taken to get them right.

That's not to say I wouldn't have preferred a Nick Fury and Electro closer to the comics, and I wouldn't have minded an adaptation of Electro's costume either, but again, the Fantastic Four are far more important than Nick Fury and Electro. So while it does bug me, it's nowhere near as much as the casting of Johnny Storm (That and I have no interest in The Amazing Spider-Man movie series. I didn't see the first and I won't be seeing this one either).

If people want more black characters in CBM's, then great, let's see Luke Cage, Black Panther, Bishop, War Machine, Photon, Crimson Avenger, Falcon, Blue Marvel, Icon, Static, Cyborg, John Stewart, Blade, Deathlok, etc. But I don't and won't support the mangling of my favorite characters just to meet some PC quota. The Fantastic Four's been around for 50 years for good reason. So how about making an actual Fantastic Four movie instead of whatever this movie's supposed to be?

What is that supposed to mean? Why has it been around for 50 years? Because they were white? What? Your uses of the word IMPORTANT sound really questionable in your post. The more important the character is to you, the more the character HAS to be white? Fantastic Four movie is sure getting a lot of hate for a movie that has no story or trailer yet. It makes me question people's motives.

Trank's cast is better by a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long shot. And I think they'll have better material to work with too.

Trank's cast is better by a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long shot. And I think they'll have better material to work with too.

Ultimate FF is better material?

If given the right script and minus alba, tim story's fantastic four has 'THE POTENTIAL' to be a good film, trank's version can't tell now but if they're going to put alot of twists and turns to the general source then they will always be the one that will be front and center of the IN NAME ONLY comic book movies.

I loved Tim Story's F4 films. I dont understand why they get so much flak. But maybe cause I've never read the comics so im looking at it from a film aspect instead of how the comicbook world looked at it.

If given the right script and minus alba, tim story's fantastic four has 'THE POTENTIAL' to be a good film, trank's version can't tell now but if they're going to put alot of twists and turns to the general source then they will always be the one that will be front and center of the IN NAME ONLY comic book movies.

The last time a Comic Book movie pulled a Josh Trank was Catwoman & look at how that turned out

What is that supposed to mean? Why has it been around for 50 years? Because they were white? What? Your uses of the word IMPORTANT sound really questionable in your post. The more important the character is to you, the more the character HAS to be white? Fantastic Four movie is sure getting a lot of hate for a movie that has no story or trailer yet. It makes me question people's motives.

They aren't saying that because they are white they are important. They are saying, the artwork (which is as much of importance to a comic book as the writing, probably more so to some) has been basically the same for over 50 years. THAT is why it is important for them to see that same "look" on the big screen. They feel you are adapting the artwork as much as you are the characterization and storylines.

Don't try to make it something that it isn't by "putting words in their mouth" to make an argument.

Don't go there....we have been there already, it was discussed to ad nauseam and we have moved on.

I miss the original cast. :(

I wish Fox made a third movie with them!

I would have liked for them to have been given a chance with a solid director,writing team, and editing team.

OH, AND FIRE THE ENTIRE MAKE UP AND HAIR STAFF FROM THE 2ND MOVIE AS WELL. :)

I'm on the fence with the Human Torch change, only because I'm wondering why not just do it right and change Sue as well? Fox think the big screen can't handle an interracial relationship between a white Reed & black Sue? It screams of the typical white guys "Token Black". Do it right and change Sue and keep them real blood siblings.

Don't understand why you guys keep saying "could'v made her black since Johnny's black!" Haven't you guys ever heard of a multiraciel family??

Don't understand why you guys keep saying "could'v made her black since Johnny's black!" Haven't you guys ever heard of a multiraciel family??

Yep, still don't care.

And won't care till Marvel gets this franchise back.

Most mixed race families don't have one kid look 100% black, and the other 100% lilly white aryan.

Also, even if its possible, its still nauseating for the motivation: Fox isn't casting Sue as a white woman to progressively represent mixed race families. Fox cast Sue as a white woman because of course the hero has to have a lilly white blonde love interest. If they cast *Sue* as black and Johnny as white, *then* I'd be impressed.

When people complain about Sue not being black,I always wonder why not go all the way and make Reed & Ben black?Kinda like the black Odd Couple back in the day.Same characters,all black cast.What's the difference at this point?And that might actually make the picture interesting.

No reason, other than that Hollywood would never make it. Of course, there's no particular reason why they should change Ben or Reed, aside from whim. Whereas with Sue, there *is* a particular reason: "Because you've already decided her brother is black."

The racial issue is a sidenote at this point. There are so many freaking things wrong with this production that it's irrelevant to even talk about it. If that were the only issue with this movie, I could deal with it. I wouldn't like it, but I could deal with it.

The real issue now is that the film makers are taking a dump on the source material. They are going to make a movie that has nothing to do with the FF, but make some pseudo chronicle spin off because Josh Trank can't get a green light for a real Chronicle sequel.

Most mixed race families don't have one kid look 100% black, and the other 100% lilly white aryan.

Also, even if its possible, its still nauseating for the motivation: Fox isn't casting Sue as a white woman to progressively represent mixed race families. Fox cast Sue as a white woman because of course the hero has to have a lilly white blonde love interest. If they cast *Sue* as black and Johnny as white, *then* I'd be impressed.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Story's cast was way better. Story was saddled with a bad script. Alba was the weak link, I love her but she was terriably miscast as Sue. The Thing should've been CGI with Chiklis doing motion capture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"