Which Cast is Better?

Jamie Bell is going to surprise you folks. the guy's been acting since he was a little kid and done well at it. he's serious about his craft.; unlike some of young Hollywood. I was quite excited when he was rumored to be costume-testing for the Ant-Man movie. but I will take him being part of Fantastic Four as a consolation prize. seems like he's being judged for his size; which means next to nothing when CGI is in use. makes about as much since as saying Edward Norton isn't muscular enough to play the Hulk.

and, since I can already hear it coming, Ben being a football player was far from essential to his backstory. I can't think of any Fantastic Four storylines where it played an integral role. the focus has always been on his past w/ the Yancy Street bullies, his brotherly friendship with Reed, his unrequited interest in Sue, and his despair over being trapped in a monstrous form. none of that disqualifies Jamie Bell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNNjVBjZ0Gg

We keep hearing from FFINO apologists how none of the changes from the classic FF matters.

Reed's age, Johnny's ethnicity, Ben's pre-Thing appearance?
Doesn't matter.

The three male leads born within a year of each other?
Doesn't matter.

Johnny and Sue not being biological siblings?
Doesn't matter.

"Grounded" version contradicts the very name (and nature) of the team?
Doesn't matter.

If none of the characteristics that identify the Fantastic Four to their fans matter to FOX, then why should this project matter to FF fans?

We keep hearing from FFINO apologists how none of the changes from the classic FF matters.

Doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter.

If none of the characteristics that identify the Fantastic Four to their fans matter to FOX, then why should this project matter to FF fans?

I'm a FF fan. we simply don't agree on what makes them identifiable. I wasn't apologizing. I was explaining why Jamie Bell can pull off a faithful portrayal of Ben Grimm.

Doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter.

So would Fox suddenly be super respectful if Johnny was white? They had a white Johnny in the last film, it didn't make the film better.

No offense but of all changes made, it seems like complaining about this one seems the most silly to me. Does anyone think the cast of a movie should be lily white in 2015?

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby made most of the characters white because they wrote in the early 60s, I think there would more of a multiracial cast if they were writing today.

So would Fox suddenly be super respectful if Johnny was white? They had a white Johnny in the last film, it didn't make the film better.

No offense but of all changes made, it seems like complaining about this one seems the most silly to me. Does anyone think the cast of a movie should be lily white in 2015?

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby made most of the characters white because they wrote in the early 60s, I think there would more of a multiracial cast if they were writing today.

I have said numerous times that Trank and company could have sold the potential audience on an African American Johnny Storm so long as they showed the bare minimum degree of respect for the classic source material.

No offense, but I understand why supporters of Trank's FFINO ignore the many other complaints about Trank's interpretation and focus on Jordan's hiring. It's just too much fun to accuse others of racism.

I have said numerous times that Trank and company could have sold the potential audience on an African American Johnny Storm so long as they showed the bare minimum degree of respect for the classic source material.

No offense, but I understand why supporters of Trank's FFINO ignore the many other complaints about Trank's interpretation and focus on Jordan's hiring. It's just too much fun to accuse others of racism.

You are calling it FFINO before we see a trailer or a plot outline, doesn't that seem premature? Without either of those things, how do you know respectful or disrespectful this movie is to the source material?

It seems like some people are complaining that this movie is not like how Lee and Kirby wrote those characters back in the early 60s, but a million things have changed since the early 60s, it was never going to be written the way it was in the early 60s.

No offense but this seems like "its not absolutely faithful to the source material, so it sucks" intransigence, rather then useful constructive criticism. No movie is absolutely faithful to the source material, even the Marvel studios movies have not been so.

I think this poll is a bit premature. I'll wait until I actually see the movie.

Does anyone think the cast of a movie should be lily white in 2015?

If the movie's about the Fantastic Four, then yes. Saying they shouldn't is like saying another film has too many minority characters, so a character which is well known as being a minority is rewritten as a white man. It's obnoxious either way. It's particularly idiotic when the character in question is the sibling of another character who's still white. Yeah, Kate Mara and Michael B. Jordan, they sure look related, don't they?

The Fantastic Four is a team of four white characters, two of which are related to each other. If Fox doesn't like that, or wants to make a film that has more minority characters, then how about this? Make a film using already existing minority characters! Hell, they've got so many X-Men that they could make an entire movie based around minority characters. They don't need to screw with the Fantastic Four.

And you think that deviating even further from the source material is a sign that they'll do a better job? From all we've heard about this movie, as much as they got wrong with the last two movies, they're getting even more things wrong with this one. So why in the world do you think that Fox is going to produce anything resembling a good movie?

I'm just fresh off of defending Jamie Bell's casting. but I understand why you'd want to invoke reverse racism instead of admitting that neither side is all right or all wrong.

If the movie's about the Fantastic Four, then yes. Saying they shouldn't is like saying another film has too many minority characters, so a character which is well known as being a minority is rewritten as a white man. It's obnoxious either way. It's particularly idiotic when the character in question is the sibling of another character who's still white. Yeah, Kate Mara and Michael B. Jordan, they sure look related, don't they?

The Fantastic Four is a team of four white characters, two of which are related to each other. If Fox doesn't like that, or wants to make a film that has more minority characters, then how about this? Make a film using already existing minority characters! Hell, they've got so many X-Men that they could make an entire movie based around minority characters. They don't need to screw with the Fantastic Four.

No offense, but all this is window dressing. Is Amazing Spider-man 2 disrespectful to the work because Electro is black? Is Avengers disrespectful because Nick Fury is black?

Where do we draw the line on this "its totally disrespectful to the source material because they changed the race of one character".

It seems like you are saying this movie is disrespectful to the source material, simply because it doesn't match the

Its far harder to justify an all white cast in 2014, then it is 1962. To say that everyone in the FF movie has to white or it disrespectful, really makes the source material come off as dated and would likely need updating to work.

Plus you can easily justify Kate Mara and Michael B. Jordan being related, do you think there are not multiracial families around today?

Its like complaining that they changed Mandarin in the Iron Man 3, did you really think they would use a Yellow Peril villain in a major movie in 2013?

Saying an FF movie has to be exactly like it was written in the 1960s or its disrespectful to the source material, is counter productive and not realistic.

And you think that deviating even further from the source material is a sign that they'll do a better job? From all we've heard about this movie, as much as they got wrong with the last two movies, they're getting even more things wrong with this one. So why in the world do you think that Fox is going to produce anything resembling a good movie?

But what's more important, an adaption that honors the general spirit of the work or an adaption that is obsessed with every little detail from the comics? I know my answer.

Here's a good question, when is a change from the source material a good thing and when is it a bad thing? I think saying no change to the source material is the only to go is silly, did Marvel ruin Whiplash in Iron Man 2, when he had a personal reason for hating Tony Stark, rather then just being some generic thug? Where do we draw the line here?

My question to the defenders of this flick and Trank and co. is what casting choices would be too much for you?

Doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter.

Most of those, IMHO, legitimately do not matter, in terms of having the team be recognizable as the Fantastic Four.

Here's what (I personally think) are the FF's defining traits:

• Their base personalities: Reed being the brilliant leader of the team, Sue being motherly and protective and also brilliant, Johnny being a hothead and a goof-off, and Ben being gruff and aggressive with a bit of self-loathing. From what I've seen of the currently announced cast in their previous roles, I feel confident that they can pull these traits off.

• The family-like way they interact with each other. Some feel that this cannot be accomplished because of the similar ages, but I am confident that this aspect can still be maintained with some effort from the writers and the cast.
  • The humor and fun: Kinberg has confirmed that this aspect will be present.

• Their physical appearances. Teller and Mara look sufficiently like (younger versions of) their characters. Bell, while not exactly a bodybuilder, has enough machismo and grit to play a decent Ben Grimm, and he'll anyway probably be in a mo-cap suit for most of the film. Jordan is, of course, the odd one out in this regard, but I'm confident he can overcome that if he gets Johnny's personality down and is allowed to "flame on" a couple of times.

• Their powers: :ff: Well, duh. And I'm fairly certain no one's questioning whether they'll keep those.
  • They have Fantastic adventures and go to other worlds: Kinberg has confirmed that this will happen increasingly throughout the series once TFF has established the science. As several successful reboot franchises have employed this approach, it makes total sense to me.
So I honestly don't see how anything we've learned so far qualifies this as FFINO, other than the cast being younger.

My question to the defenders of this flick and Trank and co. is what casting choices would be too much for you?

I think if they cast people I thought were legitimately bad actors, that would too much for me. If they hired Megan Fox and Shia Labeouf as Susan Storm and Reed Richards, that would be way worse then what we have now.

I think Michael B. Jordan is a good actor, which is why I am willing to cut him some slack.

And again I'm not defender, I am just not going to condemn it till I see a trailer or get a plot outline. No offense, but it seems like a lot of people here are jumping the gun in terms of condemning this movie prematurely.

I think if they cast people I thought were legitimately bad actors, that would too much for me. If they hired Megan Fox and Shia Labeouf as Susan Storm and Reed Richards, that would be way worse then what we have now.

I think Michael B. Jordan is a good actor, which is why I am willing to cut him some slack.

And again I'm not defender, I am just not going to condemn it till I see a trailer or get a plot outline. No offense, but it seems like a lot of people here are jumping the gun in terms of condemning this movie prematurely.

Well that's pretty vague. Meryl Streep is a fine actress. I'm sure she could play a great Reed? And if not, why not?

Josh Gad as The Thing

I like him, but there's no way he could have worked in that role.

Same for Kit Harrington as Reed Richards, or Allison Williams as Sue Storm. Both of whom were considered, both of whom would be totally wrong for those roles IMO, both of whom were turned down. So Trank is at least that smart.

Last edited:
Well that's pretty vague. Meryl Streep is a fine actress. I'm sure she could play a great Reed? And if not, why not?

No offense, but this is a very silly example. No one here is suggesting Reed Richards be played by Meryl Streep and I don't think any of the casting decisions are as ludicrous as Meryl Streep as Reed Richards.

So no, I don't want Reed Richards to played Meryl Streep, I also don't want the Thing by a German Shepherd, what other kind of truly bizarre casting choices do you want to object to that will never happen in a million years? I still think if anyone thinks this cast is the absolute worst choices possible and the old cast is now a million times better, is jumping the gun. I would at least want to see the cast in action before making a judgment. Because I think of several actors that would worse choices then the ones announced.

Remember when people said Heath Ledger would be a terrible Joker, sometimes the fan boys are wrong about casting choices.

No offense, but this is a very silly example. No here is suggesting Reed Richards be played by Meryl Streep and I don't think any of the casting decisions are as ludicrous as Meryl Streep as Reed Richards.

So no, I don't want Reed Richards to played Meryl Streep, I also don't want the Thing by a German Shepherd, what other kind of truly bizarre casting choices do you want to object to that will never happen in a million years? I still think if anyone thinks this cast is the absolute worst choices possible and the old cast is now a million times better, is jumping the gun. I would at least want to see the cast in action before making a judgment. Because I think of several actors that would worse choices then the ones announced.

Remember when people said Heath Ledger would be a terrible Joker, sometimes the fan boys are wrong about casting choices.

Ludicrous? :huh: Careful...that might be considered offensive to the older female demographic. I think there aren't enough films where women play strong authoritative figures. I don't think we get enough of them, especially in genre films. And there aren't many older female superheroes out there! This could be a great opportunity! :word:

Ludicrous? :huh: Careful...that might be considered offensive to the older female demographic. I think there aren't enough films where women play strong authoritative figures. I don't think we get enough of them, especially in genre films. And there aren't many older female superheroes out there! This could be a great opportunity! :word:

Funny. :whatever:

But seriously, if you are playing that card, let me ask you this, did a black Nick Fury ruin Avengers, will a black Electro ruin Amazing Spider-Man 2? When does changing a character's race "ruin" a film like this? I assume this is what you are getting at with this rather snarky comment, that there are too many PC choices in this cast. Correct me if I am making a wrong assumption here on that score.

Heck let's go beyond race, did a Russian Whiplash with a personal grudge against Tony Stark ruin Iron Man 2? Did Joker using makeup instead of getting dunked in chemicals ruin Dark Knight?

I mean the MCU made other major changes, look at what they did with the Mandarin, did anyone think we get a direct of the comic book Mandarin, who has an unfortunate Yellow Peril origin, in 2013? Time marches on and its naive think a comic book from the 60s can be perfectly adapted to a modern film.

Here is a good question, what is more important and practical, an FF film that tries to dogmatically recreate every detail from the 60s era comic or a more general film that honors the spirit of the FF, by changes certain things to work better on the Silver screen?

What level of change from the comics is acceptable for you in regards to an adaption like this? Because if you say, none, you are setting yourself up for a disappointment.

No offense, but it seems like some fans on this board seem a bit more inflexible then fans on other boards, in regards to tolerance to change.

I think it's normal for fans to freak out a bit when the adaptation changes things the fans dont see as broken. Nothing wrong with white Johnny, so when it's changed, some fans freak out. Theyve been reading FF comics all their lives imagining those characters and stories being faithfully adapted into live action movies, with changes made with the stuff from the comics that's broken.

Changing stuff like black Nick Fury and black Heimdall or black Torch arent deal breakers for me, but it lessens the hype and geek out factor for me. Id also be less hyped amd geeked out if Liam Hemsworth gets cast as Blade instead of Idris Elba as Blade. Why the change, Blade fans would ask.

There's something about being faithful to the source material that hypes and geeks out fans like me. Example: how geeked out were you when you saw Keanu 's first pic as John Constantine compared to seeing Matt Ryan as Constantine? In the end, Matt Ryan's Constantine series might end up suckier than Keanu's movie, but it surely assured me more, gave me more confidence, and hyped and geeked me out more as a big Hellblazer fan during the pre-production stages.

That's what's concerning long time FF fans nowadays. Why the changes? Hopefully my worries are for nothing and Trank delivers the FF movie of my dreams. But with the choices and statements the filmmakers have made, it's natural for the FF fans to be concerned.

I think it's normal for fans to freak out a bit when the adaptation changes things the fans dont see as broken. Nothing wrong with white Johnny, so when it's changed, some fans freak out. Theyve been reading FF comics all their lives imagining those characters and stories being faithfully adapted into live action movies, with changes made with the stuff from the comics that's broken.

Changing stuff like black Nick Fury and black Heimdall or black Torch arent deal breakers for me, but it lessens the hype and geek out factor for me. Id also be less hyped amd geeked out if Liam Hemsworth gets cast as Blade instead of Idris Elba as Blade. Why the change, Blade fans would ask.

There's something about being faithful to the source material that hypes and geeks out fans like me. Example: how geeked out were you when you saw Keanu 's first pic as John Constantine compared to seeing Matt Ryan as Constantine? In the end, Matt Ryan's Constantine series might end up suckier than Keanu's movie, but it surely assured me more, gave me more confidence, and hyped and geeked me out more as a big Hellblazer fan during the pre-production stages.

That's what's concerning long time FF fans nowadays. Why the changes? Hopefully my worries are for nothing and Trank delivers the FF movie of my dreams. But with the choices and statements the filmmakers have made, it's natural for the FF fans to be concerned.

But the problem is, with the exception of Sin City, every comic book movie has made changes to source material, so changes to the source material are inevitable. Heck MCU blends a lot of 616 and Ultimate elements in their movies, as well as making some of their own stuff up, its worked for them so far, none of their films have been dogmatic recreations of Silver Age comics. You can't come up with a 100% faithful adaption of any major DC or Marvel comic, because those things go for decades without end and are interrupted by different writers, its not like adapting a singular novel.

Should the producers of Amazing Spider-Man not hired Jamie Foxx to play Electro, despite the fact Jamie Foxx is a great actor, just because Electro is white in the comics? That would be a very foolish thing to do.

I can at least say Michael B. Jordan is a good actor, if they hired Freddie Prinz Jr, to play Human Torch, that would be a bigger warning sign then casting Michael B. Jordan.

Why are some these changes happening, because its not the 1960s anymore, so certain things will have to be updated to fit a more modern story.

So anyone who was expecting a 100% faithful adaption of the Lee Kirby era FF, was setting themselves up for disappointment, that is just not feasible. A movie like this has to be sometime tries to appeal to a mass audience, not just for the fans and no one else.

But the problem is, with the exception of Sin City, every comic book movie has made changes to source material, so changes to the source material are inevitable. Heck MCU blends a lot of 616 and Ultimate elements in their movies, as well as making some of their own stuff up, its worked for them so far, none of their films have been dogmatic recreations of Silver Age comics. You can't come up with a 100% faithful adaption of any major DC or Marvel comic, because those things go for decades without end and are interrupted by different writers, its not like adapting a singular novel.

Should the producers of Amazing Spider-Man not hired Jamie Foxx to play Electro, despite the fact Jamie Foxx is a great actor, just because Electro is white in the comics? That would be a very foolish thing to do.

I can at least say Michael B. Jordan is a good actor, if they hired Freddie Prinz Jr, to play Human Torch, that would be a bigger warning sign then casting Michael B. Jordan.

Why are some these changes happening, because its not the 1960s anymore, so certain things will have to be updated to fit a more modern story.

So anyone who was expecting a 100% faithful adaption of the Lee Kirby era FF, was setting themselves up for disappointment, that is just not feasible. A movie like this has to be sometime tries to appeal to a mass audience, not just for the fans and no one else.

No one wants 100 percent faithful adaptation. Some things from Kirby and even Byrne era are dated. Like I said, longtime FF fans are not concerned because there are changes, we'd be fine with changes with things from the source material that would be too goofy and dated for the modern audience.

The reason we are concerned is because they seem to be changing stuff that dont need changing, stuff that arent broken.

What's wrong with white Johnny? What's wrong with macho and strong built Ben? What's wrong with Johnny and Sue being biological siblings? What's wrong with an older and stronger Reed? Why is it grounded and gritty? Why change all that and call it Fantastic Four.

Changes are fine, but dont change what aint broken. If those kinds of changes are fine, let's have a white Luke Cage and a white Blade , and let's have a Batman that wears brown instead of black. To not expect backlash is mind boggling.

No one wants 100 percent faithful adaptation. Some things from Kirby and even Byrne era are dated. Like I said, longtime FF fans are not concerned because there are changes, we'd be fine with changes with things from the source material that would be too goofy and dated for the modern audience.

The reason we are concerned is because they seem to be changing stuff that dont need changing, stuff that arent broken.

What's wrong with white Johnny? What's wrong with macho and strong built Ben? What's wrong with Johnny and Sue being biological siblings? What's wrong with an older and stronger Reed? Why is it grounded and gritty? Why change all that and call it Fantastic Four.

Changes are fine, but dont change what aint broken. If those kinds of changes are fine, let's have a white Luke Cage and a white Blade , and let's have a Batman that wears brown instead of black. To not expect backlash is mind boggling.

I think its naive to expect an entirely white cast in 2015, even in the 2005 movie they changed Alicia Masters race, was that the big deal breaker in that film?

Was hiring Jamie Foxx to play Electro "fixing something that was not broken" or was it hiring a good actor who wanted that role and changing the role to accommodate that actor? Is black Electro a deal breaker? Heck why is black Electro and black Nick Fury less of a deal breaker then black Human Torch?

I think at this point, even changing the race of certain characters has become common.

As for Reed and the more "grounded" I still have not seen a plot outline or a trailer, I would wait till those come out before I judge Movie Reed Richards and the movie's story.

Deal breaker? Read my post again. No wait, Ill just post it again.

"Changing stuff like black Nick Fury and black Heimdall or black Torch arent deal breakers for me, but it lessens the hype and geek out factor for me. Id also be less hyped amd geeked out if Liam Hemsworth gets cast as Blade instead of Idris Elba as Blade. Why the change, Blade fans would ask.

There's something about being faithful to the source material that hypes and geeks out fans like me. Example: how geeked out were you when you saw Keanu 's first pic as John Constantine compared to seeing Matt Ryan as Constantine? In the end, Matt Ryan's Constantine series might end up suckier than Keanu's movie, but it surely assured me more, gave me more confidence, and hyped and geeked me out more as a big Hellblazer fan during the pre-production stages."

Deal breaker? Read my post again. No wait, Ill just post it again.

"Changing stuff like black Nick Fury and black Heimdall or black Torch arent deal breakers for me, but it lessens the hype and geek out factor for me. Id also be less hyped amd geeked out if Liam Hemsworth gets cast as Blade instead of Idris Elba as Blade. Why the change, Blade fans would ask.

There's something about being faithful to the source material that hypes and geeks out fans like me. Example: how geeked out were you when you saw Keanu 's first pic as John Constantine compared to seeing Matt Ryan as Constantine? In the end, Matt Ryan's Constantine series might end up suckier than Keanu's movie, but it surely assured me more, gave me more confidence, and hyped and geeked me out more as a big Hellblazer fan during the pre-production stages."

Unless I am really impressed with the actor, like with RDJ, I don't care about this type of geek hype. Geek hype is misleading and often just plain wrong. A lot of geeks were not hyped for Heath Ledger, but he proved them wrong. I care more about how good the movie will be, then how much it pleases fan boys, because the fan boys are not always right.

And really are already so few black characters in Marvel, switching out Blade is more problematic then changing Nick Fury's race, but because even if you change the race of one or two characters, there will still be a lot of white people in the cast, you really can't say the opposite can you?

Unless I am really impressed with the actor, like with RDJ, I don't care about this type of geek hype. Geek hype is misleading and often just plain wrong. A lot of geeks were not hyped for Heath Ledger, but he proved them wrong. I care more about how good the movie will be, then how much it pleases fan boys, because the fan boys are not always right.

And really are already so few black characters in Marvel, switching out Blade is more problematic then changing Nick Fury's race, but because even if you change the race of one or two characters, there will still be a lot of white people in the cast, you really can't say the opposite can you?

So now your argument's about how many white people versus number of black people are in Marvel Universe? Dude, were gonna run circles.

I'll just smmarize

Me: okay with changes that would make things better like goofy and dated things that wont translate well with the movies, but Im not okay with changing what aint broken like Reed and Ben's age, Ben's physical appearance, Johnny's race, biological relationship of Johnny and Sue, gritty realistic grounded tone.

You: okay with changes, does not geek out when the comic book characters are faithfully adapted from the comics, okay with white characters becoming black in movies, not okay with black characters becoming white.

Some people might agree with you, some might agree with me.

Wait, so how is switching Blade's race problematic? Nothing about his backstory requires him to be black, so what's the issue? Why can't we have a Chris Evans, Tom Hardy, or Christian Bale as Bane? Why is casting to his race suddenly important, moreso than with a character like Johnny Storm, who will still retain his white sister in this movie?

Apparently according to you it's okay to take a white character and turn them black, but taking a black character and turning them white? Oh yeah, that's off limits. Oh, the hypocrisy...

As for Nick Fury and Electro, Nick Fury and Electro aren't Johnny Storm. They're not a member of Marvel's first superhero team, and one of the biggest superhero teams in comics. Simply put, the Fantastic Four are more important. Changing around a C-List villain like Electro doesn't matter, because Electro as a character has never really mattered much to begin with. The Fantastic Four, however, are important, and more care should be taken to get them right.

That's not to say I wouldn't have preferred a Nick Fury and Electro closer to the comics, and I wouldn't have minded an adaptation of Electro's costume either, but again, the Fantastic Four are far more important than Nick Fury and Electro. So while it does bug me, it's nowhere near as much as the casting of Johnny Storm (That and I have no interest in The Amazing Spider-Man movie series. I didn't see the first and I won't be seeing this one either).

If people want more black characters in CBM's, then great, let's see Luke Cage, Black Panther, Bishop, War Machine, Photon, Crimson Avenger, Falcon, Blue Marvel, Icon, Static, Cyborg, John Stewart, Blade, Deathlok, etc. But I don't and won't support the mangling of my favorite characters just to meet some PC quota. The Fantastic Four's been around for 50 years for good reason. So how about making an actual Fantastic Four movie instead of whatever this movie's supposed to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"