Which country is the most current trendsetter in the world?

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
This is something we were discussing via my online international marketing class earlier, and everyone had a different opinion. Some said us here in the U.S. due to everyone else in the world usually being into most of the stuff we are after the fact, and others said places like Japan, where they're pretty much on par with the Jetsons as far as technology. The consensus came down to each country contributing a little to the current world pop culture, but is there a certain place on Earth that everyone else is just like, "man, they always have the coolest ****?"

well setting trends isn't just about having the coolest stuff. I mean yeah japan has some awesome stuff, but a lot of it never makes it out of Japan you know? While I agree that influences come from everywhere, but American pop culture dominates. I've met 22 chinese men who absolutely adore Taylor Swift's music. It's kind of crazy I must say. No I am not saying Americas cultural contributions are better, just that there are more of them and they are often amplified.

I'm over in England. Would definitely say America is more influential over here than Japan as far as trend setting goes, but definitely more in shops than in people. Unlike the Japanese, who IMO seem to idolise America, we tend to avoid admitting any influence whatsoever. But then we're just a grumpy miserable lot really :p

I wonder if China's rise to global superpower status means that they will be doing a lot of trend setting? In terms of economics, they're already starting to eclipse us. What kinds of trends could we see coming out of China? They're so strict that there doesn't really seem to be a lot of pop culture that makes it outside of the country. Maybe that will change as China's government has to embrace more social freedom, but I think it's kind of odd that a country as big as China doesn't seem to be known for anything "trendy" other than martial arts films and Chinese dresses.

It depends what you mean by trends, what trends, who the audience is?

I think the only reason certain countries have more cultural trends is because of their imprint upon other cultures through globalisation. Media on a global level is always going to follow the trend of the country that is spending the most money in producing and advertising their products. So I think trends comes simply down to what is being pushed in front of a wide public audience.

If someone wanted sausages stacked in front of them but all they saw was hamburgers, the majority of them are going to simply take what they've been given.

Maybe this opinion is a little shallow, but hopefully it isn't. But my view is for something to trend, it's got to be accessible and be a 'product', something that is going to sell around the world. America knows this probably more than any other country because it mass produces upon a global level so much.

Japan would be a contender with all their cool technology, but their major flaw is all the sick and perverted **** like selling used panties in vending machines. :dry:

I read the title and thought it's the US. The points raised in the posts can offer some contenders and other candidates though.

I wonder if China's rise to global superpower status means that they will be doing a lot of trend setting? In terms of economics, they're already starting to eclipse us. What kinds of trends could we see coming out of China? They're so strict that there doesn't really seem to be a lot of pop culture that makes it outside of the country. Maybe that will change as China's government has to embrace more social freedom, but I think it's kind of odd that a country as big as China doesn't seem to be known for anything "trendy" other than martial arts films and Chinese dresses.

Fun fact: in major metropolises in China and India, you can pretty much do all your transactions (eating, shopping, etc.) through smartphones. Just wave your phone in front of a machine and your account gets debited. No need for cash, credit cards, debit cards, etc.

With Chinese and Indian businesses investing huge amounts of money around the world look for more business trends to emanate from there.

To say China has little pop culture is kinda silly. It may not be huge in North America but Chinese artists are popular in many areas.

India's movie industry is the biggest in the world.

At one point, the most popular TV shows in Russia were Mexican soap operas.

Athletics have never been more international.

I would assume that the US leads in terms of entertainment (movies, video games, etc) but Europe tends to lead in terms of science research. Japan may be the leader in terms of technology.

Maybe Bollywood has some influence but I dont see how else.

Considering over 75% of the world's population lives in less developed countries, and India is a leader in slowing down their population growth rate as rapidly as they possibly can, and doing it through education and medical care, their education of women, women in the workforce, as well as in the political realm......

If you are a trend setter for 75% of the world's population, I think that is a pretty damn big trend.

Ooops and forgot, they are also the world's largest Democracy, so that doesn't hurt either...

Last edited:
In terms of pop culture it's definitely America, with Japan being a strong contender.

Hmmm... Real debatable. I think the US gets a lot of their "ideas" & trends from the UK. I travel a lot, so I see a lot happening in the UK & Europe before it hits the US. But because America is America, they get the credit (haha...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"