Is America still the coolest kid in school?

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
When it comes to anything and everything, the U.S. has for many decades been what the other countries aspire to be, to an extent, according to the media. Trends in entertainment, politics, etc. and the like, people from other parts of the world have been said to conform to what we deem cool, our way of doing ****, and so forth. People in the entertainment industry from any other country say if you can make it in the U.S., that's when it really matters. Though we've been known as the country everyone else loves to hate at times, is the way we live still viewed as the coolest by the other peeps around the globe? In other words, do the other female countries want us, and the male countries want to BE us? :word:

I think there has been a lot of backlash in recent years. It's nothing to do with Bush or politics, but just American culture being so prevalent. You can find McDonalds and Coca-Cola in the furthest corners of the globe. The idolization of still exists, but has cooled some.

...they've only ever been "the coolest kid in school" in the same way that the quarterback of the football team who whipped out his dick and *********ed in the middle of the big party after prom is "the coolest kid in school"... the best known, the loudest, the one you give an odd, begrudging respect, but nobody ACTUALLY likes that guy. The funny thing though, is that the guy is pretty sure everyone actually likes him. He hasn't yet realized how incredibly sad and lonely his existence is.

I think it's pretty similar with America.

America is like the kid at school who thinks they're the ****, but everybody talks about them behind their back.

America is like the New York Yankees.

Unquestionably great, but unfortunately so great, they're despised by pretty much everyone who isn't a hometown fan. Which is, granted, not only due to extreme envy, but also the fact that at times, they can employ some major *******s, and make some pretty dick management moves.

But what can you do?

...they've only ever been "the coolest kid in school" in the same way that the quarterback of the football team who whipped out his dick and *********ed in the middle of the big party after prom is "the coolest kid in school"... the best known, the loudest, the one you give an odd, begrudging respect, but nobody ACTUALLY likes that guy. The funny thing though, is that the guy is pretty sure everyone actually likes him. He hasn't yet realized how incredibly sad and lonely his existence is.

I think it's pretty similar with America.

I'd say that's right on the money.

Ha, ha ha. Do you realize how much EVERY other nationality (in my experience) rants about Americans/generally dislikes the country?

No. That's the thing. There's an extreme, Moviefan style lack of self-awareness or understanding within the country itself.

Well, that was a raging generalization.

But I feel it applies to a lot of the people on here who go "Well yeah... but still, seriously, it's still the best country ever" on this board.

EDIT:

Oh, so you're analogy was more about Americans' perception of the country than the country itself?

I hate going to other countries and people asking where you are from. If you say America they will pee in your coffee so say Australia or Canada:o That is so lame generalizing that one tourist for every thing the government and the radical groups and parties do. American's are now seen as stupid, fat, lazy, and loud and that is our stereotype. Just because some do it doesn't mean everyone does it.

Unquestionably great, but unfortunately so great, they're despised by pretty much everyone who isn't a hometown fan. Which is, granted, not only due to extreme envy, but also the fact that at times, they can employ some major *******s, and make some pretty dick management moves.

But what can you do?

Exactly!

EDIT:

Oh, so you're analogy was more about Americans' perception of the country than the country itself?

In a way, yes.

I think a lot of the enmity from around the world for America comes from an American attitude of "Oh, we're the best, and any criticism of us is just envy:whatever:", which I've actually seen on this board.

Because other than that, I do think that America is pretty much one of the closest things the planet has come to a perfect democracy, and I love the ideal it strives towards.

There is an arrogance that, I think, unfortunately hurts America, and distracts from some of the most beautiful ideologies to be found in the Western world.

I hate going to other countries and people asking where you are from. If you say America they will pee in your coffee so say Australia or Canada:o That is so lame generalizing that one tourist for every thing the government and the radical groups and parties do. American's are now seen as stupid, fat, lazy, and loud and that is our stereotype. Just because some do it doesn't mean everyone does it.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of Americans who travel abroad put Canadian emblems on their bags haha

In a way, yes.

I think a lot of the enmity from around the world for America comes from an American attitude of "Oh, we're the best, and any criticism of us is just envy:whatever:", which I've actually seen on this board.

Because other than that, I do think that America is pretty much one of the closest things the planet has come to a perfect democracy, and I love the ideal it strives towards.

There is an arrogance that, I think, unfortunately hurts America, and distracts from some of the most beautiful ideologies to be found in the Western world.
Well, two things.

1). No offense, but if you judge the human race by this board, we should all be slaughtered for our absolute stupidity as soon as possible. IMO, at least. So really don't put too much stock into what people say on here.

2). They are partially right. There is a level of envy, you can't make me believe any different. I know it's kind of totally different, but I hate the Yankees. I hate the Lakers. And do I have legitimate reasons why I don't like them? Sure. But I'm also envious as **** as well.

But yes, a lot of people do take it to far and become just obnoxious and ignorant. Of course, a lot of non-Americans can be pretty obnoxious and ignorant as well.

Well, two things.

1). No offense, but if you judge the human race by this board, we should all be slaughtered for our absolute stupidity as soon as possible. IMO, at least. So really don't put too much stock into what people say on here.

I didn't think what I said suggested that this was something I'd learned exclusively from this board, but to clarify, it's something learned through life experience and consumption of media, not this board.

2). They are partially right. There is a level of envy, you can't make me believe any different. I know it's kind of totally different, but I hate the Yankees. I hate the Lakers. And do I have legitimate reasons why I don't like them? Sure. But I'm also envious as **** as well.

And I understand that, but believe me when I say, I think plenty of the sentiment you just expressed is motivated by the fact that you do live in America. Just as Moviefan's sentiment was motivated by living in Texas and total, complete faith in Christianity.

I believe most bigoted hate of Americans comes from a personal level, and is rarely motivated by "envy". Unless we stretch the definition of "envy". In my experience, there's a real belief in the fat, stupid, undeserving American stereotype that breeds the hate far more readily than some underlying, secret desire to be the coolest kid.

But yes, a lot of people do take it to far and become just obnoxious and ignorant. Of course, a lot of non-Americans can be pretty obnoxious and ignorant as well.

No disagreement there, but I hate this sort of thread because it's so completely... just warring generalizations.

It's why so often I think the sentiment that should honestly be expressed in them is "Well, yeah, man, if I knew THAT America you just described, I'd probably hate it too." or "Well, yeah, man, if I knew THAT America you just described, I'd probably love it too."

People are arguing about different perceived interpretations based on their experiences, which will differ person to person, yet they're arguing them for objective truth... it's a dumb argument, same as any that would arise from that moron Old Greg's gender threads.

Last edited:
I didn't think what I said suggested that this was something I'd learned exclusively from this board, but to clarify, it's something learned through life experience and consumption of media, not this board.
Fair enough.
And I understand that, but believe me when I say, I think plenty of the sentiment you just expressed is motivated by the fact that you do live in America. Just as Moviefan's sentiment was motivated by living in Texas and total, complete faith in Christianity.

I believe most bigoted hate of Americans comes from a personal level, and is rarely motivated by "envy". Unless we stretch the definition of "envy". In my experience, there's a real belief in the fat, stupid, undeserving American stereotype that breeds the hate far more readily than some underlying, secret deserve to be the coolest kid.
I won't debate the exact percentages, but whenever anything is dubbed the best, the greatest, whatever, people are envious of it. I'm not saying that about America because I'm an American. I'm saying that about EVERYTHING. That's why I used the sports analogy. Because I'm NOT a Lakers fan. Is it because I'm 90% sure Kobe Briant is a rapist and an *******? Yes, definitely. But it's also because I am envious of their constant success, and do wish my own team was as successful. I would assume it would be the same for anything. Sports team, country, family, whatever.
No disagreement there, but I hate this sort of thread because it's so completely... just warring generalizations.

It's why so often I think the sentiment that should honestly be expressed in them is "Well, yeah, man, if I knew THAT America you just described, I'd probably hate it too." or "Well, yeah, man, if I knew THAT America you just described, I'd probably love it too."

People are arguing about different perceived interpretations based on their experiences, which will differ person to person, yet they're arguing them for objective truth... it's a dumb argument, same as any that would arise from that moron Old Greg's gender threads.
Oh, I agree completely.

America is one of the coolest kids I know. When I went and visited, I realized how lame Ireland was. America was like the cool Uncle, while Ireland still remains a ******** to me.

But what can you do?
:applaud

We certainly still have the biggest influence in pop culture and style . The Mexican -Emo war is a good example . However Mtv is not exactly a good representation of our values and beliefs. I am somewhat embarassed at how we may appear to foreigners who think our diet consists of mcdonalds , coca- cola , and that we all love britney spears.

I actually don't think the kids really aspire to be america, just perhaps to have its influence.

with the economy as it is though....i kinda doubt it.

Isn't it americans that keep perpetuating this 'coolest kid' thing though? I don't know any non-us citizen that rates it as anything more than a group of decent tourism spots.

I'm not going to generalize but the thing I think pisses people off about Americans is that some of them seem to think they are the best, no questions. It's like they don't consider anyone outside of America to be worthy or something. I would say a lot of Americans don't have a absolute clue about what is going on outside of America, and they don't really care either. But obviously there are people like that where ever you go.

I've been over there a few times, and I really enjoyed myself. But i used to get very pissed off with the way some Americans talk to you in a condescending tone.

"Ahhhhh you have a strange accent there! Where are you from?"

"Errrrr... I'm from England mate, and I don't have a accent. You are the one with the accent."

It's not what they say, it's the way they say it. As though i'm the one speaking weird. I've had a lot of examples of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"