BvS Which Green Lantern should be used? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why, but I've never been able to get on board with Chris Pine as Hal. Which is weird because I've always viewed Hal as very similar to Captain Kirk, and I love Pine as Kirk. Yet it just feels like a mismatch to me.

Im in the same boat. I don't really lime the idea of him as hal. But like I've said before I can see him as flash for sure.

For me Gerard Butler for Hal, Idris Elba for John Stewart or Matt Damon for Guy Gardner.

Last edited:
Truth is the general public cared less about Iron Man, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and (everywhere but the USA) Captain America, but it didn't do them any harm. GL has a turkey to his name, but some solid action in a JL movie and another well made film is all thats needed to restore his reputation.

Truth is the general public cared less about Iron Man, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and (everywhere but the USA) Captain America, but it didn't do them any harm. GL has a turkey to his name, but some solid action in a JL movie and another well made film is all thats needed to restore his reputation.

Iron Man and Cap had multiple animated appearances (Iron Man had his own series) prior to the MCU, and Captain America had several live-action appearances. Cap's appearance in the 1940s serial was the first ever live adaptation of a Marvel character. Do you think no one remembered or saw those in syndication?

As great as the MCU is, those characters (as well as Hulk and Thor) were established in pop culture long before the turn of the century.

Iron Man and Cap had multiple animated appearances (Iron Man had his own series) prior to the MCU, and Captain America had several live-action appearances. Cap's appearance in the 1940s serial was the first ever live adaptation of a Marvel character. Do you think no one remembered or saw those in syndication?

As great as the MCU is, those characters (as well as Hulk and Thor) were established in pop culture long before the turn of the century.

Yep I know - but a worldwide general audience doesn't - and that's who they want to see these films.
I even overheard two members of staff talking after the first Iron Man film was announced. They were saying the film would bomb as Iron Man was a boring character - even comib
c geeks didn't rate him - now he's extremely popular, all because his film was a success. Now I'd argue GL was a more popular character before that, he just needs a good movie to propel him back up there.

Yep I know - but a worldwide general audience doesn't - and that's who they want to see these films.
I even overheard two members of staff talking after the first Iron Man film was announced. They were saying the film would bomb as Iron Man was a boring character - even comib
c geeks didn't rate him - now he's extremely popular, all because his film was a success. Now I'd argue GL was a more popular character before that, he just needs a good movie to propel him back up there.
Exactly!

^that is exactly right. GL can be worked up to that status, but it'll take time and very good movie.

I don't know why, but I've never been able to get on board with Chris Pine as Hal. Which is weird because I've always viewed Hal as very similar to Captain Kirk, and I love Pine as Kirk. Yet it just feels like a mismatch to me.

I was thinking the same thing about Pine until I saw Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit where he plays a more serious & driven character and less the smartass & cocky type that he does in Star Trek. I think Pine could pull off Hal Jordan.

GL has always been one of my favorite DC characters and the Reynolds movie disappointed me to no end. A really good ensemble GL movie would be ideal. Bring out john, kyle, guy, and hal. Have a threat that would need an army of lanterns to take out. Do a minimum amount of the story actually taking place on earth.

The only thing about GL for me is that John Stewart is my favorite. Mainly because he's the one I grew up with on JL and JLU and he's black. Hal Jordan is cool and he's a great character but i just dont have the connection with him, I dont mind him at all but I dont have the connect.

Last edited:
They really put themselves in a corner with that terrible GL film. I doubt the foreseeable future of that character is going to be a particular bright one.

Probably not for another 5 to10 years at least. It sucks buts it is the harsh reality. Look at Hulk, one bad movie in 04 and one underrated movie in 08 had the character in trouble, Avengers came out and got HUGE popularity boost after being the most well received and praised characters and still doesn't have another movie.

They really put themselves in a corner with that terrible GL film. I doubt the foreseeable future of that character is going to be a particular bright one.

Well, ya know..in brightest day, in blackest night, and all that jazz.

I don't really care if Green Lantern gets another solo movie but I do want to see Hal in Justice League. Green Lantern outside of the JL doesn't really interest me that much (it's OK but not on the top of my list). Which is pretty much the same way I feel about The Hulk, don't have that much interest in what he's doing outside of The Avengers.

I'd be more interesting in seeing a Flash or Aquaman solo movie. The Barry/Hal - Flash/Lantern teamup movie is a more interesting concept to me than a solo Green Lantern or Green Lantern Corps movie as well. I really like the dynamic Hal adds to the Justice League and I do like the character in general but mythos of the Green Lanterns doesn't do much for me overall.

I've said it before, but I really hope that the rumored Gl/Flash teamup movie is real, I can live with no solo Flash films, he's getting a tv show after all, and a solo GL film would be a risk WB would have to be crazy to take, but I think a Flash/GL film on top of JL could be a great way to get the GA to be ok with the character again. Most of all though I'd love to see the buddy cop dynamic between the two get an entire film.

Probably not for another 5 to10 years at least. It sucks buts it is the harsh reality. Look at Hulk, one bad movie in 04 and one underrated movie in 08 had the character in trouble, Avengers came out and got HUGE popularity boost after being the most well received and praised characters and still doesn't have another movie.
And that's the ultimate point, if Marvel are still rightfully leery of making another solo Hulk film what chance does GL have? Pretty much none is the answer. He ain't getting a solo movie anytime soon even if WB/DC becomes nearly as successful as Marvel.

Yup, we may see a new GL on screen but it wont be in his own movie.

We're getting Green Lantern in live action at some point. Who knows if we'll get a solo Green Lantern project though...

I'd happily take a Green Lantern movie series or a tv series, both would make me equally happy.

Look at all these DC characters that have recently been adapted into live action (or about to be adapted into live action):

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Flash
Aquaman
Cyborg
Shazam
Supergirl
Green Arrow
Black Canary
The Atom
Firestorm
Wildcat
Huntress
Arsenal
Speedy
Vibe
Constantine
Sandman
Dr. Fate (his helmet at least)
The Spectre
Lex Luthor
Zod
Deathstroke
Deadshot
Ra's Al Ghul
Solomon Grundy
Merlyn
The Clock King
Count Vertigo
Brother Blood
Amanda Waller
General Eiling
Captain Cold
Reverse Flash
Gorilla Grodd
Heat Wave
Girder

Not to mention all the Batman characters introduced in Gotham...

Green Lantern will be introduced soon. When you look at all those characters, his absence is glaringly obvious. The only question is whether he will be introduced in the movies, on tv, or both.

A character isn't defined by a single medium, even when it's something as big as a film franchise. A character's place in pop culture comes with the sheer number of incarnations through multiple generations.

Blade is the perfect example of this. He had a successful movie trilogy (even Trinity made money) and a live-action TV series. That puts the character in elite company among comic books characters, but does that make him one of Marvel's biggest and well-known characters? No. While Blade is one of my favorites ( I prefer his trilogy to Iron Man, Thor, and Cap's movies), the grim nature of the character doesn't easily lend him to multiple forms of translation and merchandising the way other comic book characters do.

While I was disappointed that the GL movie didn't turn into a trilogy, I wholly disagree that it somehow did irrevocable damage to the character, or made him "B-level". 2008-2012 was the most visible the character has even been with multiple video releases, a headlining cartoon, a hot comic that turned into it's own mini universe within the DCU, and many products putting the characters name in the forefront of pop culture. The movie just added another layer to the mythos.

Geoff Johns leaving GL--now that hurt. GL fans can still look forward to JL: Thone of Atlanis and his eventual introduction to Flash (assuming the show is a hit), losing Geoff's magic has hurt GL's sales and visibility. However, all big characters seem to go through periods like that, so we just have to wait.

Comparison of GL with Hulk is not correct, GL has a much better potential to appeal to masses as he has a better mythology and supporting characters.

The problem with Hulk is his limited appeal which makes him tough to sell in a stand alone movie. Now, I still believe that a well made GL movie could prove to be profitable.

Eh, its less about the character and more about the general idea. The truth is WB would be taking a risk making another GL without being very careful about it.

You aren't going to be getting that well made solo film anytime soon. I know it's hard for GL fans to acknowledge that fact but it is a fact. Your best bet is to hope BvS is successful and GL gets a spot on the Justice League roster.

The idea that Warner Brothers is going to easily throw out another 200mil on a GL film after the embarrassing failure of the 2011 film is just delusional.

No other comic book movie has this -

mYdrhza.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"