Which Villain For The Batman Reboot?

Hugo Strange
Roman Sionis, aka Black Mask (Based on his early incarnations. Not the "Black Skull" ****.)
Edward Nashton, aka The Riddler
Arnold Wesker, aka The Ventriloquist
Waylon Jones, aka Killer Croc
Jervis Tetch, aka The Mad Hatter
Julian Gregory Day, aka Calendar Man
Basil Karlo, aka Clayface

It's a pipe dream, but I'd like to see the next franchise treated as a horror/mystery/psychological thriller. Hence why I'd kill to see David Fincher direct.

Last edited:
It would be cool if the story was more detective oriented and less emphasis on action. That way it would be cool to see a detective noir story about Batman invistigating his parent's murder, leading to Joe Chil as an Arms Dealer for the supervillains a la Brave and the Bold

Mad Hatter is perhaps the only silly villain from the 60s series they can use. Not sure about others, like King Tut, Egghead, Clock King etc.
I think he could be very entertaining.

Any of these guys/gals would do:

Reaper and/or Phantasm
Hugo Strange
Black Mask
Clayface
Mr. Freeze
Penguin
Riddler
Black Spider
Deadshot
Poison Ivy
Rupert Thorne
Lady Shiva
Catman
Great White
Killer Croc
Tally Man
Dr. Hurt and the Black Glove

I would like to see a villain that has not been used yet
Black Mask
Dr. Strange
Clayface I (non monster clayface)
Deadshot
Madhatter (have him be a pedophile still girls of Gotham)
Firefly

The set of villains I'd choose would be very psychological, and those who would allow for the highest element of mystery, to really push the detective side of Batman...

Hugo Strange
The Riddler
Phantasm
Clayface

Nolan's series re-used two of the most well-known villains from the old franchise, The Joker and Catwoman.
Two of the others can be used in a third franchise. They are Penguin and The Riddler. Will it work?

The Riddler will give us Batman the Detective.

JAK: Riddler and a detective story. Sounds great. I guess that's the way to go next time. Make it more a crime solving story and not the "Nolan-dark-reality", but more mystery theme. Why not film noir and a visual style like Sin City, as much as possible without being a copy?

I guess even a spandex suit can work then, a dark greyish.

Last edited:
Spandex will never work, because it's a cheap fabric. You need more expensive materials that achieve a similar effect, like the Spider-Man costume.

JAK: I meant a real suit instead of the usual body armour. Guess you know what I was thinking of.

JAK: I meant a real suit instead of the usual body armour. Guess you know what I was thinking of.
Yeah, I'm fully with you in wanting the classic suit. But we should avoid referring to it as spandex because that puts negative images in peoples heads, which is one of the main reasons people are against it.

The Penguin would be a great starting point with appearances by Riddler, Mr. Freeze and Killer Croc down the line.

I think Hugo Strange would be a good place to start for many reasons: We've never seen him before on screen, he's an early villain (predating the Joker), there's a lot of room for psychological depth AND he can be a physical threat too, etc.

Besides, if Strange dons his own bat-suit, how cool would it be to see Batman fighting another Batman?

hugostrange.jpg

You didn't see The Dark Knight?

Agreed.

I think Hugo Strange would be a good place to start for many reasons: We've never seen him before on screen, he's an early villain (predating the Joker), there's a lot of room for psychological depth AND he can be a physical threat too, etc.

Besides, if Strange dons his own bat-suit, how cool would it be to see Batman fighting another Batman?

hugostrange.jpg

I would love to see Dr. Hugo Strange. I thought he might be in The Dark Knight Rises, which could have been awesome.
The thing with the idea of Hugo Strange in a Batsuit is that, in the films, the Batsuit is expensive personal armor, way out of Hugo Strange's price range. Any homemade imitation will probably not look a damn thing like it.

I thought that Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker was "done right", damn near perfect, in fact.

Heath did a great job, no doubt about that. But I don't like the way the Joker was written. The whole anarchist stuff, his appearance (the Joker is a man of style IMHO so I can't stand the grungy look - and yes, permawhite is still an issue for me), the lack of gimmicks (esp. the Joker venom) and the fact that he was a kind of clairvoyant in this movie. I mean when the bus crashed into the bank and killed the henchman cause he was standing where he had to stand to make that happen, at the exact time:whatever:
Then Joker left the bank - just when there was a gap between the other buses. A gap just big enough for Joker's bus to fit in. And so and so on.

If 'done right' means 'like every other previous incarnation' then The Joker in TDK wasn't 'done right'. Heath Ledger's performance was unlike any other interpretation of the Joker so far. He barely ever smiled for God's sake. But that was one of the amazing things about it. He was completely different yet it worked.

But I could understand that if we were to see a completely different interpretation then it would be nice to see a version that was just like the comics. We haven't really had one yet.

Heath did a great job, no doubt about that. But I don't like the way the Joker was written. The whole anarchist stuff, his appearance (the Joker is a man of style IMHO so I can't stand the grungy look - and yes, permawhite is still an issue for me), the lack of gimmicks (esp. the Joker venom) and the fact that he was a kind of clairvoyant in this movie. I mean when the bus crashed into the bank and killed the henchman cause he was standing where he had to stand to make that happen, at the exact time:whatever:
Then Joker left the bank - just when there was a gap between the other buses. A gap just big enough for Joker's bus to fit in. And so and so on.

The Joker, as we know him today in the comics, is about anarchy and chaos, which is what makes him such a great archenemy for Batman, who represents law and order.
I don't think he was clairvoyant, he just has plans for different foreseeable outcomes, as well as adapting his plans as new possibilities arose. He knew the police would try to capture him, because that's their job as law enforcement officers, so he planned a way to get out. After Harvey Dent was rescued at the price of Rachel's life, Joker knew that he was vulnerable because of his anger. He just planned ways to use his opponent's victories against them. Add in the fact that he is known for telling lies, and I could see him being able to do the things he did in the movie.

JAK®;20573181 said:
If 'done right' means 'like every other previous incarnation' then The Joker in TDK wasn't 'done right'. Heath Ledger's performance was unlike any other interpretation of the Joker so far. He barely ever smiled for God's sake. But that was one of the amazing things about it. He was completely different yet it worked.

But I could understand that if we were to see a completely different interpretation then it would be nice to see a version that was just like the comics. We haven't really had one yet.

It depends on the comic book you're talking about. Heath Ledger's Joker seemed to be based on the Golden Age Joker, who didn't tell jokes or rely on joke-themed gadgets, with different aspects of different incarnations of the Joker, from his penchant for mind games from The Killing Joke, to many modern incarnations' indifference to things like money and overall socioeconomic status, with some new things like the scars and face paint, to create a portrayal of the Joker as we haven't seen him before. As far as a portrayal like today's comic-book Joker, wasn't that was Jack Nicholson's Joker was like? If not, then how would a "Joker just like the comics" differ from both Jack Nicholson's or Heath Ledger's performances as Joker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"