BvS Who do you want to be the "Big Bad" for the Final Act?

Frankly, no one fits as well as Doomsday. The film is stuffed with characters, three of which are superheroes with no physical threat to fight. Doomsday fills that quota without adding to the aforementioned stuffed-ness. Basic film math.

I still don't get how this film is stuffed with characters. It's an observation that mystifies me. People seem to be confusing the presence of an important character with screen time proportionate to their overall importance in the DCU.

Somehow movies like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter with more characters seem to actually be coherent, I'm somewhat confident BvS will manage it too.

I just hope the critics don't take a s*** on the movie for being "overstuffed". That would be so annoying... Seems like a lame excuse to hate on another CBM.

This movie isn't 'overstuffed'. What really happened was people wanted an MoS sequel, then saw Batman was included. Then they spazzed out like children. Then they heard WW would be included, and spazzed out some more. Then it came to light that there might be cameos of other JL members and people went full foaming at the mouth convulsions on the floor.

So with the addition of a small number of characters it went from 'I want an MoS sequel' to 'Jesus Christ they're attempting to make a movie with more characters than any other movie has ever had!!!'

I'll be completely honest, I was one of those people who kind of freaked out when I learned Batman and WW were in this. Those are two big characters and it gave me the impression that the focus would be taken off of Supes and I really wanted to see the next step in his story. However I gradually warmed up to the idea and this latest trailer sold the **** out of me to where I can absolutely see how this story could work and still focus on Superman.

Last edited:
I still don't get how this film is stuffed with characters. It's an observation that mystifies me. People seem to be confusing the presence of an important character with screen time proportionate to their overall importance in the DCU.

Somehow movies like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter with more characters seem to actually be coherent, I'm somewhat confident BvS will manage it too.

Nonononono, don't you realized that Marvel movies only have two characters a piece? The hero and the villain. #DCHasNoPlan #ThreeOrMoreCharactersIsTooMany #LetTheRightsRevertBackToHappyMadison

Lmao. Could you imagine a Happy Madison Batman v Superman movie? I'd pay good money to see that.

I suppose it's relative what constitutes too much, but sight unseen it's pretty clear what the film will be busy with: Superman's arc, Batman's, Lex's, WW's, and the plentiful supporting characters. That alone hints at a full movie. I don't see how they could fit the development usually reserved for a supervillain, and one of the caliber of a Metallo or a Brainiac, without it feeling like a throwaway thing that doesn't earn its place in the story. I see no room there for Metallo's origin, or for an alien visit from Brainiac. Just don't.

That seems like overkill haha, but you could be right. Doomsday is already kind of in the top 3 of most powerful Supes villains normally, giving him some of the Kryptonian powers seems like it puts him almost on Darkseid's level. I guess it's one way they can have a Darkseid-ish villain without having to play that card.

The only thing confusing me slightly is McNairy's quotes sound like they're pointing to Metallo, but the trailer and lack of Mulvey's character being shown indicate Doomsday/Bizarro. I'm starting to wonder if both aren't in the movie?

Metallo could be a first attempt to knock off Supes, and when it doesn't work Lex goes bananas and creates Doomsday?

Is it going to end up being Supes+Bats+WW Vs. Lex+Doomsday+Metallo?

Edit: The other option I suppose is an original/fringe character? If I had to throw out a guess as to a known but infrequently used character I'd probably go with:

500px-Amazo_011.jpg

Amazo eh? Hmmmm

I suppose it's relative what constitutes too much, but sight unseen it's pretty clear what the film will be busy with: Superman's arc, Batman's, Lex's, WW's, and the plentiful supporting characters. That alone hints at a full movie. I don't see how they could fit the development usually reserved for a supervillain, and one of the caliber of a Metallo or a Brainiac, without it feeling like a throwaway thing that doesn't earn its place in the story. I see no room there for Metallo's origin, or for an alien visit from Brainiac. Just don't.

Brainiac I concede to, because I think he can be a solitary villain on his own in a movie, Metallo I think can be neatly worked in. He's not complex, he's usually got some kind of vengeful feelings towards Supes for [Insert reason], and often gets turned into Metallo by Lex because [Explanation why Lex is a conniving, scheming bastard]. All the variables needed for Metallo to be used were either in MoS, or have been included in BvS so it works nicely.

I mean at the end of the day there are only four main characters in BvS; Superman, Batman, Lex Luthor and Wonder Woman (debatable, but she seems important to the story). Everyone else is a supporting character or serves to be some kind of device to the story/auxiliary to the main characters, i.e Ma Kent or Alfred.

We already know this is leading up to JL, so the conflict between Batman and Superman is going to be finite, and I'm predicting a lot less focused on than the trailer and title would suggest. Lex is obviously up to his own thing, but it'll incorporate both Supes and Bats at some point in all likelihood. There are lots of opportunities for characters to have overlaps in the story, and there are actually so few characters that I think making an entire plot that can include them all is not too difficult.

And whoever the physical villain is he may as well not be a character in the real sense, he's just going to be a device used in the climax. The other funny thing is for all the people who said they wanted a sequel to MoS, they ended up getting precisely that - BvS is a direct sequel to the events of MoS. What people should have said, is they want another solo Supes movie.

Movies like Ocean's 11-26 or w/e the hell it ended on can do a perfectly reasonable job of creating a larger plot that a number of characters function in. BvS is easily going to achieve the same thing with about half the number of main characters.

Amazo eh? Hmmmm

I dunno, just a thought. He can absorb metahumans' powers, which in the case of BvS would be Supes and WW, and possibly Aquaman or Flash depending on whether their cameos are relevant to the story. If he has that much power it could easily warrant him being powerful enough to require the trinity to take it out.

Secondly, Lex is usually indirectly associated with the production/creation of Amazos in some arcs. Amazo is a robot, which could tie into Cyborg's origin or the tech that Bruce uses for his mech suit. There are a bunch of things that could overlap if somebody wrote it that way, it'd be pretty easy IMO. Maybe the Amazo would get it's Kryptonian powers from Zod's DNA and not Supes. Just a theory.

Some versions of Amazo show him duplicating a superhero's artifacts and weapons too, like WW's lasso and such. I'd much rather see an Amazo than Bizarro or Doomsday.

It's all about Metallo. As others have mentioned, he serves so many functions:

Metallo would be man vs god, not monster vs god like doomsday.
He would help establish Cyborg.
He could serve as a reminder of the devastation of MOS
He introduces how dangerous Kryptonite is.
He establishes how technology has advanced since alien tech came to earth

And more benefits that I'm sure I'm not thinking of.

Great post. Another benefit is that you can make him someone who was injured in the events of MOS and therefore who has a real beef with Superman.

Metallo fits more with the natural evolution of the story, whereas Doomsday is just a cop-out character you throw in when you don't know who else to put in the finale.

Metallo can work with a variety of different plot angles. It's easy to weave him into a more complex storyline.

Bizarro and then Doomsday! I think it will evolve into that :shrug:

Bizzaro

This is my current pick, and the villain I hope that the fight is against. Yes, it's a repeat of the type of fight that was Zod vs Superman in the last trailer, but this time the threat would be a mindless zombie (not unlike Doomsday) who would just be destroying everything, not targeting Superman specifically. The difference would lie in the fact that the Trinity acting together can limit the threat and destruction. I also don't think anyone seriously wants Bizzaro as a stand-alone villain with a full arc when there are so many awesome Superman villains to choose from.

Evidence:

1. Zod's corpse in the trailer. This gives Lex the building blocks for creating a bizzaro-like creature; and
2. The heat vision aimed at Batman in the trailer was larger and thicker than Superman's is, like Zod's was in MOS.

Metallo

This is my second favourite pick, but I can't see Metallo being such a huge threat that would require Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman to unite. In my mind, while Superman is incapacitated by his Kryptonian core and Batman might not fair so well in hand-to-hand combat with him, Wonder Woman should be able to tear him apart single-handedly.

However, if Lex has Zod's body, he may also have his armour. This might mean that Metallo could be made out of Kryptonian metal and therefore be someone invulnerable, making him a bigger threat.

Evidence:

1. We still don't know who Scoot McNairy is playing, but know that he will have CGI legs;
2. Victor Stone is in the movie as Cyborg, but we haven't seen a logical way for him to be introduced into the plot. Story-wise, it makes a nice and neat parallel to tie both Metallo and Cyborg into the destruction in MOS, undergo the same procedures and have one come out bad and the other good.

Doomsday

There is no real evidence for Doomsday other than that he's been rumoured. If he is in the film it points to a highly-modified version of him, so much like Bizzarro you have to wonder why they didn't just do Bizzarro (and I think they will). Current rumours have Lex experimenting on Zod's body, and unleashing a "Doomsday" this way.

Evidence

No real evidence.

Bizarro and then Doomsday! I think it will evolve into that :shrug:

I wouldn't mind that to be honest. Doomy is a plot devise and Bizarro is just silly so combine the 2 and make something interesting.

Doomsday could be the next stage in kryptonian evolution when under a yellow star. First they develop superpowers and then they evolve into a gray hulking monstracity, which could serve as an interesting dilemma for superman since he'll learn that if he stays long enough under a yellow sun he'll become a monster one day and kill everyone! So what will he do?

Metallo, Bizzaro, Doomsday, I dont feel too strongly whichever way. I think they could all work.

Bizzaro

This is my current pick, and the villain I hope that the fight is against. Yes, it's a repeat of the type of fight that was Zod vs Superman in the last trailer, but this time the threat would be a mindless zombie (not unlike Doomsday) who would just be destroying everything, not targeting Superman specifically. The difference would lie in the fact that the Trinity acting together can limit the threat and destruction. I also don't think anyone seriously wants Bizzaro as a stand-alone villain with a full arc when there are so many awesome Superman villains to choose from.

Evidence:

1. Zod's corpse in the trailer. This gives Lex the building blocks for creating a bizzaro-like creature; and
2. The heat vision aimed at Batman in the trailer was larger and thicker than Superman's is, like Zod's was in MOS.

Metallo

This is my second favourite pick, but I can't see Metallo being such a huge threat that would require Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman to unite. In my mind, while Superman is incapacitated by his Kryptonian core and Batman might not fair so well in hand-to-hand combat with him, Wonder Woman should be able to tear him apart single-handedly.

However, if Lex has Zod's body, he may also have his armour. This might mean that Metallo could be made out of Kryptonian metal and therefore be someone invulnerable, making him a bigger threat.

Evidence:

1. We still don't know who Scoot McNairy is playing, but know that he will have CGI legs;
2. Victor Stone is in the movie as Cyborg, but we haven't seen a logical way for him to be introduced into the plot. Story-wise, it makes a nice and neat parallel to tie both Metallo and Cyborg into the destruction in MOS, undergo the same procedures and have one come out bad and the other good.

Doomsday

There is no real evidence for Doomsday other than that he's been rumoured. If he is in the film it points to a highly-modified version of him, so much like Bizzarro you have to wonder why they didn't just do Bizzarro (and I think they will). Current rumours have Lex experimenting on Zod's body, and unleashing a "Doomsday" this way.

Evidence

No real evidence.
Nice... :up:
I wouldn't mind that to be honest. Doomy is a plot devise and Bizarro is just silly so combine the 2 and make something interesting.

Doomsday could be the next stage in kryptonian evolution when under a yellow star. First they develop superpowers and then they evolve into a gray hulking monstracity, which could serve as an interesting dilemma for superman since he'll learn that if he stays long enough under a yellow sun he'll become a monster one day and kill everyone! So what will he do?
That's an interesting plot. But what if Bizarro from Zods DNA (therefore being engineered) then evoloves into Doomsday. That would be the Berton Curse (in one of MOS extras) after Bizarro is defeated then due to the genetic change from his clonning, something happens and Doomsday come.

BUT Superman can't because he was a natural born guy... :sly:

Nice... :up:

That's an interesting plot. But what if Bizarro from Zods DNA (therefore being engineered) then evoloves into Doomsday. That would be the Berton Curse (in one of MOS extras) after Bizarro is defeated then due to the genetic change from his clonning, something happens and Doomsday come.

BUT Superman can't because he was a natural born guy... :sly:

True, but Superman also has all Kryptonian DNA written into his body (so, essentially he's a child of all of Krypton - at least by DNA). I am sure they will explore more of that, perhaps in BvS or maybe somewhere down the line.

I'd prefer Metallo for the reasons others have already said. Plus, he works nicely as a villain that Supes and Bats need to team up to defeat, since neither of them can beat him alone (like in the fight scene from Superman/Batman Public Enemies).

IN the trailer we see Wondy and the batmobile and i think that :

Batman v Superman final fight as seen in the trailer will be interrupt by Wonder Woman.

After ten minutes of fight, the Zod/Lex's creature / Doomsday appear and.. a fight begins. Doomsday escape and the movie ends with a cliffhanger to JUSTICE LEAGUE

I hope to god they don't cliffhanger us.

Me too. I hope this movie is its own standalone epic but still leads into JL without a cheap cliffhanger ending.

I don't mind a mini sort of cliffhanger, but not that kind of cliffhanger. Doomsday (or whomever) shows up, cut to black wait for JL.. nah. That would drive me nuts. I want that fight there and then.

The kind of cliffhanger that is ok with me is more like an add-on... like seeing cyborg in a Lex' lab, the dead villain in Lex lab... basically Lex :woot:

And I don't want post credit add-on. Let it be before the credits

I want a New God, to tie into a Darkseid-focused Justice League. I definitely don't want a Doomsday or Lex Luthor centric Justice League film, so if it's going to be Doomsday in BvS, then I only want him in BvS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"