Who is the face of the MCU now ? Who will be ?

Really? Why did those people waste over 1.1B dollars on someone whose guts they hate?

I'm probably the only one who finds her rather charming and personable.

EDIT: Sometimes I go overboard on the sarcasm. I think there's a vocal minority who have a problem with her.

That was an appropriate amount of sarcasm.

Captain Marvel is... what you settle on when you have ran out of ideas. And per usual there was nothing unique or special about her at all.

Captain Marvel is...MCU Superman. She is a female superhero who is (unlike the comics!) neither a legacy nor a distaff version of an existing male superhero. She is the most powerful hero introduced in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the flagship character in both name and ability. That seems both unique and special to me.

Captain Marvel is...MCU Superman. She is a female superhero who is (unlike the comics!) neither a legacy nor a distaff version of an existing male superhero. She is the most powerful hero introduced in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the flagship character in both name and ability. That seems both unique and special to me.
I think Superman isn't neccesarily someone whose often regarded by some as hugely special or particularly interesting. Look at some's perception of DCEU's Superman and taking issue with how little he smiles.

Superpowers and name don't equal flagship. As Iron Man showed for these movies and Spider-Man has shown in comics for years.

Last edited:
- Captain Marvel
- Black Panther
- Wolverine
- Storm
- Fantastic Four
- Deadpool

Captain Marvel is the face as theyv'e literally said she is. But is an awful character played in a wooden mannequin fashion by Brie.

They should have gone with Doctor Strange as the face for post phase 4 though imo.
Not Strange.

But otherwise I've got very little. If Spider-Man were staying with the MCU and not be, what I think is, more placed as an extension of Tony, I could see him. But even without the Sony backing out thing, I think their Spider-Man isn't weighted to hit that mark.

I don't see any characters we have so far being a proper face for it.

Though I don't think Brie doesn't act or even that she doesn't give the performance required of her by the movie. I more or less question the approach to the character in the filmaking process. In the movie wikipedia there's a quote about the character apparently from one of the directors:

And she can be headstrong and reckless and doesn't always make the perfect decisions for herself. But at her core, she has so much heart and so much humanity—and all of its messiness.

I think that sounds like not an uninteresting character at least. I think I've read she's even an alcoholic. This sounds kind of compelling to me. A damaged character, like Tony Stark. Is that in the movie? As far as I know it's mostly doing brainwashed Carol, until she's not anymore and as far as I know, she doesn't change from it and goes on doing what she may have done even before she got brainwashed.

Maybe that's the issue for me. I don't think any character can take the role, maybe because I don't the MCU has been willing to do any new character as raw or visceral as the first Iron Man movie.

I think Superman isn't neccesarily someone whose often regarded by some as hugely special or particularly interesting. Look at some's perception of DCEU's Superman and taking issue with how little he smiles.

Superman is both hugely special and particularly interesting, even if the recent big screen efforts don't accurately reflect that.

Superpowers and name don't equal flagship. As Iron Man showed for these movies and Spider-Man has shown in comics for years.

Add superpowers and name to Kevin Feige LITERALLY saying CM will lead the MCU going forward and you've got a compelling case that Carol is the flagship.

Last edited:
I know we keep saying Captain Marvel. Hell the name of the movie was Captain Marvel.

Have they even called her that yet? It's been 2 movies now and all I remember hearing is Vers, Danvers, or Carol. Also they changed her call sign to Avenger and we saw that too. If she's supposed to be the face shouldn't they refer to her by Captain Marvel at least once?

I know we keep saying Captain Marvel. Hell the name of the movie was Captain Marvel.

Have they even called her that yet? It's been 2 movies now and all I remember hearing is Vers, Danvers, or Carol. Also they changed her call sign to Avenger and we saw that too. If she's supposed to be the face shouldn't they refer to her by Captain Marvel at least once?

In addition to secret identities, the disuse of code names in the MCU is one of THE major differences from the source material. We get many more mentions of Tony, Nat, Steve (or Cap), Bruce and Clint than we do of their superhero names.* But Carol's lack of either a formal or informal code name is getting a smidge obvious.

Carol will either have to name herself - not a great look - or someone who knows her connection to Mar-Vell will do the honors. Maybe grown up Monica Rambeau?

*One call back I noticed on my Endgame rewatch was T'Challa mentioning "Clint" by name after saying "I don't care!" when introduced in Civil War. Great Stuff!

Superman is both hugely special and particularly interesting, even if the recent big screen efforts don't accurately reflect that.

Add superpowers and name to Kevin Feige LITERALLY saying CM will lead the MCU going forward and you've got a compelling case that Carol is the flagship.
You may think that, but there are those that wouldn't necessarily hold that opinion.

He may say that, but I weigh this more on whether the character hits the right marks for me. And I don't think the character is there. Like I kinda said in my other post, I think the more recent MCU movies haven't given the characters the weight in any of their solo movies to hit it for me, as far as I've seen.

Not Strange.

But otherwise I've got very little. If Spider-Man were staying with the MCU and not be, what I think is, more placed as an extension of Tony, I could see him. But even without the Sony backing out thing, I think their Spider-Man isn't weighted to hit that mark.

I don't see any characters we have so far being a proper face for it.

Strange is the natural successor to iron man. He is the protector of ''earth realm'' in the same manner that Stark was and went to extreme lengths to keep it that way. Strange is a product of earth and spent his entire life here. Brie Larson's Captain Marvel doesn't have the same affinity and her interests are more spread throughout the galaxy. Black Panther is the king of Wakanda and his primary interests will always naturally be inclined to his homeland. Spiderman, if he was still in the MCU, is too much of a kid to take any form of leadership or ''face'' responsabilities despite his general popularity.

Strange is the only one who ticks all the boxes.

I think we need to be clear on which iteration of any character we’re talking about. Superman certainly can be an interesting character. Batman can be an interesting character. The Superman that I liked the most was Christopher Reeves portrayal. He was such a Boy Scout. LOL. I think that Keaton and Bale were are my favorite portrayals of Batman. Keaton really surprised me, but in retrospect, it shouldn’t have. He’s a really terrific actor. I just didn’t picture him in that role.

I know all of this stuff is subjective, but I really don’t understand why people think that Captain Marvel is not an interesting character. In spite of her formidable powers, she’s a really decent human being who is caring and down to earth. Even after having her entire world turned upside down, it didn’t change the core of who she was and I think Brie pulled it off in a very convincing manner. I have no problem with her being the new face of the MCU.

Spider-Man called her that in Far From Home, and Fury/Talos acknowledged, so... it’s what she’s called now. It’s probably the name she’s been going by in space all these years as both an homage to Mar-Vell AND Fury (since he’s the one who told her “Marvel sounds better”).

I wish the Fantastic Four was the face of the MCU because it would be fitting given their old position in the comics where they were the flagship book where the big important things happened. They were the centerpiece of the Marvel Comics Universe so why not have it be the same case for Marvel Cinematic Universe?

I wish the Fantastic Four was the face of the MCU because it would be fitting given their old position in the comics where they were the flagship book where the big important things happened. They were the centerpiece of the Marvel Comics Universe so why not have it be the same case for Marvel Cinematic Universe?
Let’s wait until they make a movie about them before making them the centerpiece. Or at least a good movie. LOL

Captain Marvel also topped the DVD and Blu-ray sales charts in addition to making $1.1B at the box office.
Yeah, they like to ignore that part. She didn't make all that money because people thought she would be a big part of Endgame, most people genuinely loved her movie. She's here to stay.

To answer the question, I think Carol, BP and Dr Strange are the big three. But something tells me it's not going to be only these three. Xmen, F4 and other iconic characters are coming and I can't wait to see them.

Definitely see her as one of the faces of the MCU in the future:

storm-by-gregland.jpg
I hope so.

I hope so.

I'm still hoping, rather than his on-again off-again bride, they retcon Ororo into being T'Challa's mother who's using the alias Ramonda:
tumblr_orb9fr83mo1sq214io2_540.gif

I mean, we already have the perfect Storm in the MCU!
:oldrazz::D

( JK about her being T'Challa's mother, but man what a missed opportunity)

- Captain Marvel
- Black Panther
- Wolverine
- Storm
- Fantastic Four
- Deadpool
Great list. I would add Dr Strange. I think a lot of people are underestimating the character and his next movie.

Peter called her CM in FFH.

I'm still hoping, rather than his on-again off-again bride, they retcon Ororo into being T'Challa's mother who's using the alias Ramonda:
tumblr_orb9fr83mo1sq214io2_540.gif

I mean, we already have the perfect Storm in the MCU!
:oldrazz::D

( JK about her being T'Challa's mother, but man what a missed opportunity)
That's not going to happen. I love Bassett, but we need a young Storm that will appear in MCU movies for 10 years at least.

I knowwww
I just still hate Singer and all the people at Fox who cast Halle friggin Berry instead of the woman who was born to play Storm

Based on the films coming out, it'll be Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, and Thor.

Hopefully storm. She’s more deserving than captain marvel. A character no one really knows. Wasn’t storm the it marvel girl in the 90s?

Strange is the natural successor to iron man. He is the protector of ''earth realm'' in the same manner that Stark was and went to extreme lengths to keep it that way. Strange is a product of earth and spent his entire life here. Brie Larson's Captain Marvel doesn't have the same affinity and her interests are more spread throughout the galaxy. Black Panther is the king of Wakanda and his primary interests will always naturally be inclined to his homeland. Spiderman, if he was still in the MCU, is too much of a kid to take any form of leadership or ''face'' responsabilities despite his general popularity.

Strange is the only one who ticks all the boxes.

You're equating 'protector of Earth' with 'face of the MCU'. The MCU is more than just the earth based stuff and Feige has been saying for years that the post-Avengers 4 MCU would be a lot more cosmically inclined, so it makes perfect sense for someone with 'interests spread throughout the galaxy' to be the face of the MCU.

Hopefully storm. She’s more deserving than captain marvel. A character no one really knows. Wasn’t storm the it marvel girl in the 90s?

And Captain Marvel had a ton of comics success more recently. Also, she already starred in one of the most successful superhero movies of all time (made the same amount of money by itself as the first three X-men films combined), so the claim that no one really knows her is obviously ridiculous.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"