Guardians of the Galaxy Who should direct?

I'm thinking there is at least a 20% chance that they hire Justin Lin. He's directed 3 good fast&furious movies and Star trek beyond(which is considered to be up there with Star trek 2009). The guy can obviously craft awesome summer blockbusters and has done sci-fi action before. He's good director both financially and critically, and also he seems to be a good obedient soldier that won't be too much of a nuisance to the studio. I believe he won't discouraged by the firing of James Gunn based on the sole fact that he has the balls to sign on to a Space Jam sequel with Lebron James. :o

I'm thinking there is at least a 20% chance that they hire Justin Lin. He's directed 3 good fast&furious movies and Star trek beyond(which is considered to be up there with Star trek 2009). The guy can obviously craft awesome summer blockbusters and has done sci-fi action before. He's good director both financially and critically, and also he seems to be a good obedient soldier that won't be too much of a nuisance to the studio. I believe he won't discouraged by the firing of James Gunn based on the sole fact that he has the balls to sign on to a Space Jam sequel with Lebron James. :o

He's supposed to direct Fast 9 and that might be coming out in 2020 as well so it might not be very likely. I'd be cool with him directing another MCU movie in the future though!

Taika Waititi would be perfect and please put Thor in it. Unofficial Thor 4!

Those franchises I do think needed retooling. In the Guardians case the entire narrative style is a big part of the appeal, in particular the musical soundtrack. The soundtracks drive the narrative of the story. The musical choices were not just pop songs used that people like, but songs that helped drive the narrative and the story, and the music was very much a part of Gunn's personal experience crafting the movies. If they go entirely away from that, I do think a big part of what we love about Guardians is lost. Do I know for sure the next director would do that? No, but it is a legitimate worry. The Guardians were written and directed by Gunn, and came from a place very personal to him. So I don't think it is the same situation as the examples you named.

Before this post I didn't even consider that there may not be a soundtrack on this now. :csad:

This is going to be GOTGINO isn't it?

There's absolutely no chance of Disney rehiring Gunn, even with thousands of names on a petition. It would look very bad for them to do that.

Maybe someone else will start a petition to fire him again. Then what? Because there are more signatures there, they fire him again?

There could be a million signatures, the president of the United States of America could endorse it, and Jesus could literally come down and preach about forgiving and rehiring Gunn... and Disney will still not hire Gunn back.

Please not Justin Lin or Taika Waititi. I hate the Fast and Furious movies other than the first one, and Waititi made a complete comedy movie with Ragnarok. Get a serious director who can do intense action and dramatic heart, with comedy in it. Ideally the Russos but I'm thinking they're busy haha

I think closest director to Gunn in terms of intense action with heart on its sleeve earnestness is Sam Raimi.

I think closest director to Gunn in terms of intense action with heart on its sleeve earnestness is Sam Raimi.

Plenty of heart, but nowhere near the humor a GOTG 3 needs. bad place GOTG is known more for its humor than anything else.

I also agree that Ragnarok and the GotG films are very different. They clearly have surface-level similarities (comedic, brightly coloured, cosmic, lots of larger than life characters), but the tone and comedic sensibilities of the two are indeed very different. Gunn's tighter, more scripted comedy is definitely more crass and in a sense, rather more cynical and mean-spirited (I'm not saying this as a bad thing though, I love both GotG films and find them hilarious), whereas Waititi's humour is lighter, more ad-libbed and natural, physical (in a slapstick sense) and also much more absurdist in style. Ragnarok's comedy reminds me more of absurdist Brit comedies like Monty Python and the like because it plays on the whole 'comic books are inherently absurd and crazy, so let's just go with it and go mad'. In all, I much prefer Waititi's humour, but I also appreciate what Gunn brought to the GotG films.

I personally think the Russos would be the best option to take over GotG 3 right now, purely because they can obviously handle the cosmic scale perfectly, they already have experience working with these characters and actors and I think they would ultimately respect and stick to Gunn's vision for the franchise.

Exactly.

Hopefully, James Gunn's script can still be utilized. If anyone that's worked on the previous Guardian's films as an assistant is ready to step up, I suppose that could be another option. I wonder if there is anyone?

Someone with the same sensibilities James Gunn brought to the table and give character's like Rocket a voice I think is going to be tough but if the script outline (and assuming music selection) can still be utilized at least it'll be less difficult.

Raimi would be so much fun. And he did always love the silver age stuff. It was kind of his forte and when he went off it due to studio pressure it didn’t work so well.

I would love it but I know people would kick off

I wonder if theyll use this as a chance to hire a female director.

Taika Waititi would be perfect and please put Thor in it. Unofficial Thor 4!

Still not sold on the idea of Waititi directing it, but I would like to see Thor as a member of the Guardians. I actually had that idea a while back.

You know, if they gave Waititi a really tight script and had him cut back on the improvising (obviously some ad-libbing would be fine, just not as excessive as Ragnarok) I might be able to get into the idea. I still say his style is pretty different, but it might not necessarily be a bad thing.

The emotional core of both Guardians is crucial. Specially Vol. 2 which I wasn't such a big fan of, but the emotion that comes in the third act is magnificent. Whoever takes on the project, that is something that must still be there.

Yesterday Scott Mendelson from Forbes suggested Lilly and Lana Wachowski.

Oh I don’t know. Jupiter ascending was just so out there

Adam McKay, maybe? He was involved with Marvel with Ant-Man and has stated he's a Marvel comic buff. He said he wrote a big action sequence in Ant-Man after he and Rudd polished Edgar Wright's draft. Obviously there's other great choices out there, but this one keeps it close to the Marvel family.

They can pay him for the script, use the script and then he can "waive billing" and not be credited. Everybody wins. He gets money that he might need. MCU gets to use the script and keep the movie mostly on schedule and the fans will get his trilogy with another director at the helm.

Then all they need to do is bill whoever comes in and does the re-writes/polishes.

What a perfectly Hollywood Blacklist styled suggestion.

What a perfectly Hollywood Blacklist styled suggestion.

Given what happened then and the political nature of this firing it is starting to look like it will be possible that nobody will step forward, certainly nobody working in America primarily, not wanting to be on the wrong side of history this time. If Disney doesn't reconsider Mr. Feige might have to put a hold on the cosmic side until some other non Guardians way into it can be figured out.

What about James Gunn’s brother Sean? AFAIK, he doesn’t really have the same amount of scrutiny on him (at the moment at least). He’s pretty intimate with his brother’s style of filmmaking, considering he’s worked with him on every single one of his films (and you wouldn’t have to worry about the film’s style changing a whole lot). Having him on it would still keep it in the family and would be someone that the cast and crew trust and love to work with.

If not him, maybe give one of the cast members a shot. Keep it in the filmmaking family as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"