Who Should Have Directed This Movie?

It depends, if james wong was a fan of the anime and was passionate about it. That would automatically go to the one who wants it most. Other then just randomly picking a director to adapt it.

Wong was a very interesting choice. I wish I knew why/how he was hired. Not saying I wouldn't hire him, just not someone I thought they'd pick.
I think Tom Rothman went into the boardroom meeting and said, “This is one of those Chinese-people movies, so I say we go with Wong.” Don’t underestimate the lack of taste these people have. I wouldn’t be surprised if my joke turned out to be not too far off from the truth.
It depends, if james wong was a fan of the anime and was passionate about it. That would automatically go to the one who wants it most. Other then just randomly picking a director to adapt it.
If what you describe were really how directors were hired in Hollywood, then Adam would have been put in charge, not Wong.

More seriously, I think Wong was chosen because they’re not banking all that much on this movie. The “target audience” spiel Rothman gave in the Variety article sounds like he’s trying to say with a bunch of euphemisms that the movie is expected to have limited appeal. They don’t want to go all out on the production when they feel the audience is too small to generate a profit for something large and lavish. Wong, in short, is cheap.

Well, I guess we'll find out in 10 months if FOX made the Wong decision.

Some unknown popular director in asia who makes awesome martial arts flick or Stephen chow.

The Wachowskis already made a mess of Speed Racer, so why would you want to allow them to go on and ruin Dragonball too? The Matrix was valued primarily for the philosophical idea it used as its point of departure; most of what they do doesn’t come out too well.

true, Speed Racer was a flop and most critics didn't like it, but i don't want the Wachowski's because of the money they would bring. i would want them for their creativity and vision. they would find a way to make everything in the DB world work and they already have a lot of experience with combat action. not to mention the Wachowski's flair for casting actors of all ethnicity. they put a half Hawaiian in the lead of the Matrix and a Korean actor in the lead of Ninja Assassin. they don't conform to the typical Hollywood style of film making.

I don’t think that highly of Rodriguez either. Do you want Dragonball ending up like Spy Kids?
of course not, but Spy Kids is a movie with kids as the main characters. even though they'll have to show Goku as a kid in some for or another, most people would opt to want Goku to be at least be past puberty for the majority of the film. even though the 2nd and 3rd Spy Kids were pretty crappy, the first one was pretty cool. Rodriguez has done action, horror, family, and comic book movies. the only thing he hasn't tackled is martial arts and i'm sure his good pal Tarantino wouldn't mind helping him out if he ever did. his more adult oriented movies are badassery and if he can achieve a happy medium, especially utilizing the methods he used for Sin City, then i think he would have created an awesome DB flick.

I like Brad Bird, but does he really direct anything other than animation, and are his sensibilities capable of being adapted to a subject like Dragonball?
it's true that he hasn't directed live action......yet. however, all of his movies so far have been family friendly, heart felt, action movies that have had moderate to great success and he's currently working on a live action movie about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. of course, it will be much more serious in nature than his other films. so if that movie turns out to be any good, then it would go to show that he could potentially have made a great DB flick.

Also, what do you mean when you say Tarantino is going to add lots of “Jive Talk”? Are you referring to people talking in Ebonics or something? I think it would be pretty easy for him to refrain from writing in Ebonics if that’s what you mean.
no, not Ebonics. when i say 'jive', i mean it in as another word for 'cool'. they always have conversations and dialogue exchanges that feel sassy. now that i think about it though, i guess Tarantino's talent for heated and extreme conversations could lend well to their verbal exchanges before their battles. i guess i wouldn't mind seeing him do a DB movie, but i'm still not sure if he can pull off a non-R movie.

his more adult oriented movies are badassery and if he can achieve a happy medium, especially utilizing the methods he used for Sin City, then i think he would have created an awesome DB flick.
It's actually good you bring up Sin City because though I personally am not a fan of Rodriguez's work, Sin City is a perfect example of a very highly stylized movie receiving widespread critical approval, very much in contrast to what happened to Speed Racer. It proves you can adapt Dragonball in an eccentric fashion and not forsake your audience and the critics.

Guillermo del toro,zach snyder,the wachowski bros, that's my top 3 for directors

true, Speed Racer was a flop and most critics didn't like it, but i don't want the Wachowski's because of the money they would bring. i would want them for their creativity and vision. they would find a way to make everything in the DB world work and they already have a lot of experience with combat action. not to mention the Wachowski's flair for casting actors of all ethnicity. they put a half Hawaiian in the lead of the Matrix and a Korean actor in the lead of Ninja Assassin. they don't conform to the typical Hollywood style of film making.

Thing is they couldn't even figure out their own property (The Matrix. In fact outside that first film, they have shown an inability to put together anything coherent. Look at V for Vendetta. The script is a mess, one that is devoid of its source material's heart and sound. A mediocre film from a mediocre script.

of course not, but Spy Kids is a movie with kids as the main characters. even though they'll have to show Goku as a kid in some for or another, most people would opt to want Goku to be at least be past puberty for the majority of the film. even though the 2nd and 3rd Spy Kids were pretty crappy, the first one was pretty cool. Rodriguez has done action, horror, family, and comic book movies. the only thing he hasn't tackled is martial arts and i'm sure his good pal Tarantino wouldn't mind helping him out if he ever did. his more adult oriented movies are badassery and if he can achieve a happy medium, especially utilizing the methods he used for Sin City, then i think he would have created an awesome DB flick.

Ok, the problem with Rodriguez is he does nothing good. He does a lot of interesting and corky things, but it is rarely good. What happens is people latch on to that one thing in his mash up of film that give it life, usually is actors. Not like he was going to be able to cast Depp or Rourke here.

Tarantino cannot direct actual action. Really good at satire, but that is also why he can only make work that is a parody.

it's true that he hasn't directed live action......yet. however, all of his movies so far have been family friendly, heart felt, action movies that have had moderate to great success and he's currently working on a live action movie about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. of course, it will be much more serious in nature than his other films. so if that movie turns out to be any good, then it would go to show that he could potentially have made a great DB flick.

As far as I am concerned Brad Bird is one of the finest filmmakers going. He would never make a good DB film, because he would never make one. It isn't his style. He makes beautiful and intimate films.

I would have to pick the wachowski bros or zach snyder. I've always pictured the Dragon Ball movie needing to be like the Matrix meets 300.

Thing is they couldn't even figure out their own property (The Matrix.
tha Matrix was such a huge success that it was next to impossible to top. the sequels are a product or over hype. i agree that they didn't really figure out everything, but the sequels have shown that the Wachowski's can pull off DB's trademark action in an epic setting.

In fact outside that first film, they have shown an inability to put together anything coherent.
i thought Bound was a well made film and V for Vendetta recieved a lot of critical praise, even if they were only the producers.

Look at V for Vendetta. The script is a mess, one that is devoid of its source material's heart and sound. A mediocre film from a mediocre script.
ENTIRELY your opinion. i found the script pretty clever, even if it isn't as genius as the first Matrix. they changed quite a few things from the comic, but they did it to reflect our times and our current problems. even if they don't have strong writing skills (which they do), they have an eye for action that is distinguishably unique and would be nothing but pure bliss to see applied to a live action DB fight.

Ok, the problem with Rodriguez is he does nothing good. He does a lot of interesting and corky things, but it is rarely good. What happens is people latch on to that one thing in his mash up of film that give it life, usually is actors. Not like he was going to be able to cast Depp or Rourke here.
once again, ENTIRELY your opinion. my opinion happens to be that, aside from his childrens movies, Rodriguez puts out great action flicks. my least favorite of his so far was Once Upon a Time in Mexico, but even that was entertaining. i won't deny that the actors definitely help his films, but that's like saying the actors help Guillermo or Peter Jackson's films. it's a given. however, the action in his movies are always intense and stylized with comic book movie type movements and sequences. those are things that you cannot contribute to the actor/actress because they weren't the ones that came up with the ideas.

Tarantino cannot direct actual action. Really good at satire, but that is also why he can only make work that is a parody.
i thought the action in Kill Bill was good enough. Uma Therman looked novice, but that's not Tarantino's fault. i thought the angles and editing were done well enough. it's true that his movies are really just a conglomerate of movies that he's watched before, but that's the nature of art. DB, itself, is a conglomerate of stories and characters that Toriyama had experienced before he made DB.

As far as I am concerned Brad Bird is one of the finest filmmakers going. He would never make a good DB film, because he would never make one. It isn't his style. He makes beautiful and intimate films.
i know he would never make a DB flick, even if this one weren't being made. however, that doesn't mean he wouldn't have made a good one either. despite his taste for movies and films, he has most of the qualifications that a director needs in order to make a successful DB flick. he might not ever want to do an Asian themed movie, but if he did DB, i could almost guarantee that it would be better than what we're getting now.

I didn't realise that we had fortune tellers on here :)

I think alot of people are getting a bit too deep on these subjects on this forum,

How can you predict what wong is doing with the film whithout a shred of proper "action movie" footage?

We have some great pics, (imo) and i'm totally happy with what i have seen so far.

I for one, watch movies cos i want to see them, i couldn't give a s... who's directing it !

When your missus says "do u want to go and watch ......... tonight ?"

My first response isan't "WHO'S directing IT" :)

i have to admit that i generally dont care who directs a movie as long as it is good but i do consider how the movie might be based on who's directing

I didn't realise that we had fortune tellers on here :)

I think alot of people are getting a bit too deep on these subjects on this forum,

How can you predict what wong is doing with the film whithout a shred of proper "action movie" footage?

We have some great pics, (imo) and i'm totally happy with what i have seen so far.

I for one, watch movies cos i want to see them, i couldn't give a s... who's directing it !

When your missus says "do u want to go and watch ......... tonight ?"

My first response isan't "WHO'S directing IT" :)

Yeah, they're called the general public. Ya know, the people who don't go on the internet every day and argue on forums. The same people who are gonna bring in the 150+ Mill worldwide for this film. Yeah those people.

Yeah, they're called the general public. Ya know, the people who don't go on the internet every day and argue on forums. The same people who are gonna bring in the 150+ Mill worldwide for this film. Yeah those people.

What has that got to do with my post?

I think Wong will do a good job on Dragonball but I would have liked to see Zach Synder or Guillermo del toro

What has that got to do with my post?
wasnt just referencing your post, Just making the point that the public, well the general audience, don't care about this stuff, director, speculation and what not. Their just gonna see an ad on tv, and will be drawn to it, because its a blockbuster with explosions and fighting.

I hate tarantino. Well... Actually no I don't. I like pulp fiction and love reservoir dogs, I hate the first kill bill.

I thought Speed Racer was very well done. They kept very accurate to the TV series and made a beautiful, fun, action/racing movie. It didn't get big Box office dollars because it looked different from other movies, and most people are afraid of that, and Speed Racer is an old series, so a lot of fans have long since lost interest. It didn't get good critic reviews because it stuck to the TV series very closely, and the TV series was lacking in story, depth, and dialogue. Despite that, the movie was made to be a popcorn flick, something entertaining and pleasing to the eye, which the movie was. It's exactly what Dragonball should be, fun and beautiful. If the Wachowskis did dragonball instead of Speed Racer(because at this point the studio would change the movie like they did with V for Vendetta, in the hopes of gaining more money) I'm sure they'd have been just as faithful and it would have gotten big box office dollars(because there are more DB fans than there are for Speed Racer).

Tarantino even used music by Shunsuke Kikuchi, the composer of the music for the original Japanese version of Dragonball, in his Kill Bill movies.

Tarantino would never do a movie based on an existing franchise. He said that he couldn't handle fanboys tearing him apart.

Plus, he's got his own style that works with characters he creates, adding that to other characters wouldn't really work.

I thought Speed Racer was very well done. They kept very accurate to the TV series and made a beautiful, fun, action/racing movie. It didn't get big Box office dollars because it looked different from other movies, and most people are afraid of that, and Speed Racer is an old series, so a lot of fans have long since lost interest. It didn't get good critic reviews because it stuck to the TV series very closely, and the TV series was lacking in story, depth, and dialogue. Despite that, the movie was made to be a popcorn flick, something entertaining and pleasing to the eye, which the movie was. It's exactly what Dragonball should be, fun and beautiful. If the Wachowskis did dragonball instead of Speed Racer(because at this point the studio would change the movie like they did with V for Vendetta, in the hopes of gaining more money) I'm sure they'd have been just as faithful and it would have gotten big box office dollars(because there are more DB fans than there are for Speed Racer).

well said.

I hated Speed Racer but I won't get into that.

Wachowskis directing Dragonball would be okay with me anyway.

^^ ok I've got it...... zach snyder as director excecutive producers wachoski bros and stephen chow.......

P.s.
And just a long shot here but gueillermo del toro as co director

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"