LA Times explains why FOX did poorly this summer and why they are least liked studio

seem like a line up that should make a great year for them!

lets hope the PPS&DVD SALES od dragonball will straigten fox out

lets hope the PPS&DVD SALES od dragonball will straigten fox out

I think the only thing that will straighten Fox out will be if they lose so much money on poor box office and dvd sales numbers that if they don't start hiring known writers and directors like Spielberg, Lucas, Milius, Carpenter and so on they'll go bankrupt.

They might be heading into the right direction what with giving Rodriguez full control over 'Predators' & hiring Scott for the new Alien movie. Let's just hope they do the same for any upcoming more big movies (hopefully they'll do what Universal did with Marvel & just distribute their Marvel movies).

I'm not sure if 20th Century Fox can save it's reputation as long as Rothman is still there in some form.

I'm not sure if 20th Century Fox can save it's reputation as long as Rothman is still there in some form.
Rothman could give the Joker a run for his money when it comes to being pure evil.

They've given Predators to Troublemaker Studios, they've given Alien to Scott Free Productions and they've hired Christopher MacQuarrie to write Wolverine 2. Did Rothman die or something?

When did they hire McQuarrie? I would definitely be excited for that

They've given Predators to Troublemaker Studios, they've given Alien to Scott Free Productions and they've hired Christopher MacQuarrie to write Wolverine 2. Did Rothman die or something?

I know, I was shocked at all of this, hopefully they are turning the corner, but i'm not holding my breath.

Till I read the article I never realized that. Fox was on top, and this year they blow,lol did anyone care for x-files? And the trailer of space chimps alone told everyone it wasn't a good movie
Really, by their recent standards Space Chimps honestly comes out pretty high...

QUICK! CHURN OUT ANOTHER ICE AGE MOVIE! Night at the Museum got a few people in..? SEQUAL, DAMMIT!

That'll be the day. :hehe:

Just kidding of course, but it does seem as Fox wants to get back into the "quality" game again.

I'm still skeptical until I see the budgets and following production before completely noting that they are legitimately trying to make good films with a talented director/crew and hiring sfx companies that don't create shoddy pieces of work (ex: X-Men Origins: Wolverine, ugh) but ones with credibility and a history of doing good work.

Hope they're done with their back alley "we don't give a damn" approach with their more demanding bigger budget movies.

How in the heck was Wolverine apparently running on a budget of $175 million (some say more) yet D9 on $30 million and it looks 1000x better.

Anyway lets hope 20th Century Fox can revert to its more earnest way of approaching movies instead of just not giving a damn.

He was promoted, right? Looks like it was to a position of no real power.

If they are improving, it's goint to take 2-3 years to see the results.

It's kinda like the influence of a certain movie (The Matrix, The Dark Knight, etc). You won't see the ripoffs or influences until maybe two years after those releases, you know?

Octoberist, it's going to have to take something other than TDK to convince Rothman (who despite being promoted, is co-chairman of Fox) to stop interfering with big-budget blockbusters. Even Kingdom of Heaven, which was over 2 hours long in its theatrical cut -- was cut heavily from its 194 minute director's cut.

I think Rothman just doesn't mess with a few directors -- Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Baz Luhrmann. I think if Christopher Nolan tried to make his Batman movies if he were at Fox, he would've been denied final cut on his films and forced to cut it down to 100-105 minutes. Can you imagine trying to tell a rich, complex story like TDK or a origin story of Batman in only an hour and a half?

Can you imagine trying to tell a rich, complex story like TDK or a origin story of Batman in only an hour and a half?

I'm sure Fox and Rothman can imagine it.

A Fox made Batman film. It would be Batman & Robin all over again.

Fox tends to micro-manage everything, and it's sickening.

None of the above news really impresses me or really convinces me that Fox is making positive steps now.

When David Benioff was hired to write Wolverine originally, people weren't getting their pitchforks.

Also, Troublemaker studios doing Predators. OK, is this supposed to be good or impress me? Not sold on it.

None of the above news really impresses me or really convinces me that Fox is making positive steps now.

When David Benioff was hired to write Wolverine originally, people weren't getting their pitchforks.

Also, Troublemaker studios doing Predators. OK, is this supposed to be good or impress me? Not sold on it.

The only movie by Troublemaker studios that I liked was Sin City. Spy Kids 1 and 2 were crap. Spy Kids 3 and Sharkboy/Lava Girl looked like garbage. Grindhouse and Once Upon a Time in Mexico didn't interest me. Desperado and From Dusk Till Dawn were okay but neither had replay value.

I can imagine a streamlined version of TDK, which probably would involve saving Two-Face for a third movie and streamlining the Hong Kong sequence and its buildup. I'm not saying it would be a better movie, but it wouldn't have been impossible to bring it nearer 2 hours.

The problem with Rothman is that his business model makes a certain amount of sense. Don't spend lots of money on a movie unless it's a sure thing, like Wolverine. Keep it short to maximize showings in a day. Make sure no money is wasted. Emphasize commercial appeal over art. Etc. If you want your studio to be a profitable assembly line with no pride in your output, then the Fox model works.

But, at some point, the public begins to catch on. You make enough crummy movies in a row with the Fox logo in front of it and you poison your brand for anything but the sure things. At least by those who pay attention, which admittedly is the minority of filmgoers who generally judge movies by the commercials/trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"