The Dark Knight Who's a better writer Jonathan Nolan or David Goyer?

thedarks0ldier said:
Why can't Goyer and Jonathan Nolan just do all the DC movies? Goyer makes the treatment and Jonathan Nolan makes the screenplay.

That'd be beautiful, wouldn't it? But, a person can only do so much.:O

Nolan,Nolan and Goyer for the next Superman sequel a new,fresh comic based Superman. They should film every single DC Superheromovie.

I have to say Goyer but the reason is because I don't know what Jonathan has written.

J Nolan will do a 1,000,000 times better than Goyer. I loved the BB script, but Goyer is more of a storyteller than an actual writer.

That's why its so perfect that Goyer wrote an 80 page treatment. For those that don't know, the average treatment length for a hollywood script is under 10 pages. Even the most detailed script treatments are only around 25 pages long. TDK treatment is the ENTIRE story. You know how detailed it is?

This movie will rock.

Why does everyone say that Goyer wrote Dark City?
He wrote it, with Alex Proyas and Lem Dobbs, and the story is by Proyas himself.
So, he was in Dark City, by fu**ing deal.

And just for the record, Batman Begins´s is mediocre at best, and, at the same time, his best work, which is not to say much.

Isildur´s Heir said:
He wrote it, with Alex Proyas and Lem Dobbs, and the story is by Proyas himself.

And just for the record, Batman Begins´s is mediocre at best, and, at the same time, his best work, which is not to say much.

:confused:

BB script had very good storylines and Ras plan made sense, so I cant understand you.

You say that you liked BB, but now you say that script was mediocre.

Even Spider-man or X-Men didn't have so good screenplay.

Of course, BB had just good dialogues, but it also had great development of characters.

Bale said:
Nolan,Nolan and Goyer for the next Superman sequel a new,fresh comic based Superman. They should film every single DC Superheromovie.

That's going way too far. I can't see any of them doing Superman, Wonder Woman, or Green Lantern. And I'm hoping Goyer can pull off Flash anyway.

The Sage said:
That's going way too far. I can't see any of them doing Superman, Wonder Woman, or Green Lantern. And I'm hoping Goyer can pull off Flash anyway.

Agreed. Nolan have already returned one franchise, so better will be, if he stays only with Batman.

Goyer on other hand can make Flash as his own franchise, if 1st movie is good.

The Sage said:

that's one of my concerns when thinking if Nolan would be a good director for Superman. based on all his previous work, he tends to be a bit dark, a little pessimistic, bizarre even.

Steelsheen said:
that's one of my concerns when thinking if Nolan would be a good director for Superman. based on all his previous work, he tends to be a bit dark, a little pessimistic, bizarre even.

Then whole "realism" argument everyone is having. It'd be hard to introduce realism to heroes like Green Lantern. You'd have to let the fantasy be more dominant.

Again, Jonathan has yet to prove himself with a screenplay (The Prestige will definitely be a testing ground), but Memento Mori was extremely well thought-out, so I'm pretty sure he won't totally suck as a screenwriter. :p I agree with the Goyer dialogue not being very hot, LOL.

I also found this, which may be another viewpoint on the man, LOL. I'm sure it's him, since he goes by the nickname "Jonah" and he graduated from Georgetown that year...finally, LOL...It's actually pretty funny. :up:

Oh, and I'm sure it's him because the next link on Google was this.

well, let's say batman begins has the best screenplay based on a comic book series to date. Is that Jonah in that pic? You'll see that Jonathan Nolan is a great writer, c'mon he's the Memento Mori story writer and I've read somewhere he's a comic book fan, too, so...

even if anyone is worried that goyer is gone, chris nolan will be working close with johnathan and chris learned alot from the first one. if anyones worried about it being further away from the comics because goyer is gone, chris probably learned alot from the first one, and he is an official fan now, so im sure chris knows what he needs to know for making this perfect, thus putting it in the script. im glad goyer is gone, i mean, i respect him because hes constantly getting better too, but Jonathan definatly is better. we all know how kick ass the prestige will be already..

but in the end I have absolutley NO WORRIES or doubts about the script anyway, no matter who was writing... as long as nolan's directing theres no worries from me!

I think Goyer and Dini should be the exectutive producer to the DC movie franchise, and they should do the treatments for all the characters.

Originally Posted by Isildur´s Heir

woah! hostile much!?
and even if he CO-WROTE Dark City, it was still pretty *****ing bad ass.
and the fact that you didn't even really like Batman Begins means that nothing is going to convince you anyway.

My pick is J. Nolan.

Goyer can write but a lot of his films latley have just been badly written. I like the guy on a personal level but his writting has just been off recently. Nolan can dig around in your head and make you think. He is very good at fleshing out characters and interpreting them so that we can all find something to relate to. He twists and turns and stretchs for things. The prestige would not bas good looking or appealing if it was not nicley written, same for Insomnia and Memento and The following, all great psych films for the most part. They are different and don't go for the quick take or action. Goyer just goes for the obvious and loves cheesy one lines latley. Dark City had ok writting and Balde 1 was better then 2 but 3 was sad.

Chris's films are directed fantsticly but they would not be as great if John had not helped treat them with his ability to write.

heypapajinx said:
woah! hostile much!?
and even if he CO-WROTE Dark City, it was still pretty *****ing bad ass.
and the fact that you didn't even really like Batman Begins means that nothing is going to convince you anyway.
Yeah, maybe a little hostile when it comes to Goyer :o
But that is because the man is extremely praised, when he doesn´t deserve it, and to know that he gets get named to write every comic book movie, makes me damn man :mad:

And i did liked Batman Begins, why does people keep telling otherwise?
Batman Begins is in my top 5 favorite comic book movies.
Just because i see flaws in it?
Let´s look it this way, my favorite comic book movie is Hulk, and i can spot flaws in it too.
And the script...how many good/great movies are there, with bad/mediocre scripts?
I will always hate the all "catching Falcone in his first might out"..that´s ridiculous, to say the least.
The question that remains is, why didn´t the GCPD catched him before?
And don´t tell me that was because Falcone had half the police bought, because the question is the same, if that is true, why didn´t he got released?

The script is mediocre, deal with it, but bare in mind that it has nothing to do with the quality of the movie, but it sure helps not letting it be all it could have been, IMO.
In fact, if it was Nolan directing it (or another director of that caliber), the movie would have sucked, i believe that.

Well, David S. Goyer deserves the praise. C'mon, he is the man who helped Christopher Nolan to bring Batman to the screens, people. Don't underrate him! Blade was the first successful movie based on comic book characters after the Batman & Robin flop. The first successful Marvel movie, without Blade there probably would not have been any Batman Begins--- because Marvel wouldn't have produced X-Men and Spider-Man which made superheroes VERY popular again convincing Warner Bros. to bring The Batman in theatres again...

Isildur´s Heir said:
And i did liked Batman Begins, why does people keep telling otherwise?
oh, i'm sorry... i assumed when you said
And just for the record, Batman Begins´s is mediocre at best
you meant that you didn't really like it.
if i say "mediocre at best" it means "terrible crappy".
i guess we just have different phrasing.

On the region 2 Memento DVD (3 Disc) there is Jonah narrating Memento Mori.

I didn't realise he had an American accent!

Yes, I've read an article where it said that Jonah watched TV to learn the American accent.

fabman said:
Yes, I've read an article where it said that Jonah watched TV to learn the American accent.

The Nolan brothers spent their childhood going between England and America so this must be how he's picked it up.

I always assumed he'd have an English accent like Chris, but being six years younger he must have spent more of his life in America?

heypapajinx said:
oh, i'm sorry... i assumed when you said

you meant that you didn't really like it.
if i say "mediocre at best" it means "terrible crappy".
i guess we just have different phrasing.
I said was talking about the script, Batman Begins´s script is mediocre at best...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"