The Dark Knight Who's a better writer Jonathan Nolan or David Goyer?

SHF

On a Rise
Reaction score
Well I loved Batman Begins like all of us here but I found out that Goyer aint writing the sequel.

I know he left an outline for it but that could just be a page of writing. So it would still be the Nolan brothers behind it.

So I wondered if the Nolan brothers writing it together will make the DARK KNIGHT better than Batman Begins?

Is Jonahan better than Goyer?

If DK is as stylistic and clever as Memento then I think he might be.

Jonathan by far.

Goyer should stick around though, if only for his knowledge in the mythos.

We won't know if Jonathan is a good script writer until The Prestige, which is his first ever script. He is a great storyteller, though.

While, as Macphisto said, we'll have to wait until The Prestige comes out to know for sure, I'm betting Jonathan is quite a bit better.

Goyer's a very...obvious kind of writer. Look at BB, everything is very discriptive and to the point - in the lines, in the plot, there's very little complexity or subtility.

If Memento Mori is any indication, I bet Jonathan Nolan will have that complexity. At least more of it. And while I have nothing against Goyer, Jonathan will probably be quite welcomed. For me, at least.

well i liked goyers batman script MORE then the movie script; so.....

Excel said:
well i liked goyers batman script MORE then the movie script; so.....

So your trying to say you liked how it ended with Bruce willing to give up being Batman just to get with Rachael Dawes?

Batman would never do that!!!

So Goyer messed up there and Nolan came in to fix that.

a young batman would defiently go through thoughts like that. bruce has to LEARN hell never be able to love again; and someone needs to teach him that; hence why i think they should bring in a new loveinterst and have bruce fall in love n wanna give up batman all bruce in BATMAN FOREVER but then KILL her off in the film, and itll just add to his rage as well as forcing to realize hell never be able to actually love someone again.

yeh but that would just mess things up in Begins if Racheal agreed that he shud give up the cape for her.

Then there would be no Batman unless you pressumed she gets killed in the sequel and he dons the Cape again out for vengence.

But I really dont think Batman would ever give up at this age because he promised his parents to rid the city of crime not Ra's Al Ghul for a 1 time thing.

Im sure the only time he has given up being Batman was when he chose to retire at an old age or something in DKR!

but she says he needs to be batman for the city which adds depth to her while simultaneously teaches the lesson.

Well, Goyer is comic reader, while Nolan is excellent screen writer.

I think Nolan is better, all his scripts have enough logical aspects and very intersting twists, but also they make sense.

Excel said:
but she says he needs to be batman for the city which adds depth to her while simultaneously teaches the lesson.
My only real problem is that Bruce actually had to be told that Batman is needed more. I'd have much preferred he come to that conclusion himself.

Excel said:

Yeh I suppose but that just means Bruce really doesnt have a mission planned out in his head, he can be compremised!

Which really doesnt say much for the whole movie where it was a one mans quest to become a vigilante in Gotham City.

He doesnt need her to tell him he cant be with her he should know on his own that being Batman is burden and that he wont be able to have a relationship with anyone.

I thought depth was added to Racheals character when she knew that bruce waynes persona was the mask.

E-Mack said:
My only real problem is that Bruce actually had to be told that Batman is needed more. I'd have much preferred he come to that conclusion himself.

agreed!

unlike the rest of yuo guys, im not gotta start trashing goyer, who has already written many successful and great movies and scripts. I never heard of Jonathan nolan before, and so i can say how he is. Hopefully Goyer story won't get changed to much, as Goyers Knowledge of everything Batman vastly exceeds the nolan brothers combined. I wonder what th hell Batman Begins would of turned out to be, if Goyer didn't hlep Nolan write it so it was faithful to the character.

Jonathan wrote Memento, you dullards.

Jonathan gets my vote, but Goyer did a damn good job with Batman Begins.:up:

While im sure all aspects of the script will be worked over by the nolan brothers and goyer himself. Im pretty confident than johnathan is up to the task. Have you read memento mori?

http://www.impulsenine.com/homepage/pages/shortstories/memento_mori.htm

here it is, if this can give you any idea of how he writes, you will realise that the script is in excellent hands, especially with goyers knowledge of the mythos, and nolans directing skill.

Im not going to bash goyer, but he is a decent writer at best, the reason batman begins was such a good script was because hes a bat-fan boy just like us. he had such a knowledge and passion for the mythos that it came easily to him.

Goyer -story
john nolan - script
chris nolan - directing

thats the holy trinity right there!

And also there is The Prestige (new movie of Nolan bros) script review, which was very very positive :up:

Sure he is. Goyer's one-liners, 'wise' dialogues and repetitiveness were awful. But I must admit the BB structure was very good so I'm glad he's contributing with the plotlione but not the dialogues.

Thank god goyer's not the main writer on this.

I thought his dialogues were ok. The best part was with training of Bruce, Ducard had not bad monologue I think.

Cinemaman said:
And also there is The Prestige (new movie of Nolan bros) script review, which was very very positive :up:

I can't wait to see that.
cool-smiley-010.gif

El Payaso said:
Sure he is. Goyer's one-liners, 'wise' dialogues and repetitiveness were awful. But I must admit the BB structure was very good so I'm glad he's contributing with the plotlione but not the dialogues.

I agree. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"