Apocalypse Why 1983?

^ Don't think it really matters that First Class was in 1962, and not 1963.

This is about the events of 1983. We know the like to include actual historic events, like the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the Paris Peace Accord, so it just makes sense that something that happened in 1983 will be included.

I very much expect that Ronald Reagan will be in the movie in some capacity.

If Jennifer Lawrence wasn't the big celebrity that she is,we would probably go back to the original cast.

I don't think so. Singer wants to finish his "trilogy", which means wrapping up the main stories between Erik and Charles, Charles and Raven, Raven and Erik, and Hank's stuff too. Unfortunately, this is what this movie is going to be founded in.

I think a sequel released in 2018 and set in 1990 could be cool. Need more X-Men though.

Teenage Nightcrawler, Colossus and it'd be really great if they could recast Rogue and/or Shadowcat. Obviously they'd only be children, but I'd be cool with that.

If Jennifer Lawrence wasn't the big celebrity that she is,we would probably go back to the original cast.

Not really because you have to look at it like this... The FC cast were always signed for 3 films so the overall intension was to use them for 3 films, and It was singers choice to place FC in the 60s putting it 2 decades early which meant you couldn't have the young team of cyclops, jean and storm so it's not like FC fit everything in to a nice package anyway

And lawrence isn't the reason because even when she wasn't that well known she still played the role of mystique who had a very character driven role in FC, so why people seem surprised that she has a big role in DOFP in beyond me, it's like people thought they were gonna reduce her role even though her character (not the actress) has all these ties to at least 3 of the main characters

Course if you have this belief that fox would have given up on this prequel series if it wasn't for lawrence then you are ignoring a lot of factors to it

Last edited:
We don't need 5 year old Rogue in 90's without her power.

^ Unless she was with Mystique as a foster child.

That would actually be interesting... seeing a young Rogue being raised by Raven in a Mystique spin-off movie. Of course the movie wouldn't be solely that, and would be much more about Mystique and Destiny, and her Brotherhood, and whatever the threat is they are fighting, but seeing a very young Rogue (that fits age wise with this timeline) being raised by Mystique, would be cool...

I for one cannot wait for the 80's hair/music/wardrobes ESPECIALLY re: mystique

How much are you expecting the hair/make-up and clothing to be affected by the 80's time setting?

Alright, here is the complete list and summary of every 1983 event that we've found so far:

- There was a riot in Sing Sing prison. Although I could see that being included, would this be worth forcing 1983? Likely not. A prison riot could be done in any year.

- Red rain falls in the UK, caused by sand from the Sahara Desert in the droplets. Some call this "blood rain". This one is actually interesting because of Apocalypse and where he comes from. Could be worth investigating more...

- High ranking Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie is arrested in Bolivia & officially charged with war crimes. Can't see how this pertains, afterall, this isn't Captain America. Maybe I could see Erik involved in this, but would this be worth forcing 1983 for the movie year?

- U.S. President Ronald Reagan calls the Soviet Union an "evil empire." This is the kind of thing that I could see being incorporated. We've seen the focus of the year in these stories being focused in relation to specific Presidents, and Ronald Reagan would be a great one to have incorporated.

- U.S. President Ronald Reagan makes his initial proposal to develop technology to intercept enemy missiles. The media dub this plan "Star Wars." Again, perfect. The idea of a new space located system could easily be incorporated.

- The National Economic Summit is held in Canberra, Australia. Maybe... Similar to the Peace Accords, I guess. But is this one big enough?

- The US Embassy is bombed in Beirut, killing 63 people. Now this one is right in the ballpark of what we're lookink for. Imagine Apocalypse being behind this attack. Hmm...

- Powerful earthquake and tsunami hit northern Honshu, Japan, killed 104, injured 163. Maybe, but likely not. Something like this could be any year.

- Sally Ride becomes the first American woman in space, on the Space Shuttle Challenger. Maybe... It's big enough, but I'm liking the Presidential related ones more.

- Gulf Air Flight 771 crashes in the United Arab Emirates after a bomb exploded in the baggage compartment, killing 117. I only include it because of Arab and Apocalypse. I don't think this is the reason why 1983 was chosen.

- Hooters opens in Clearwater, Fl. As important as this is, I don't think it's the one.

- US troops invade Grenada. Hmm... Maybe. Similar to the whole Cuba Missile Crisis with First Class. This was a big thing, so it could be the one.

- That was the year the oldest human skeleton remains were found in Egypt.

- The Anti-Apartheid Movement going on in South Africa (could be part of storms origin)

- A Russian satellite fell from space, into the ocean

Please add to the list or speculate as to the possibilities!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"