Why did they even bother having the helmet in the movie?

spider1975

Civilian
Reaction score
Thor's helmet is as much a part of his costume Batman's cowl. Sure, there have been times in the comic where it gets knocked off in battle but I would say in the history of Thor, he has had it on better than 90% of the time. They clearly put thought into the redesign but to have him wear it for that one scene was just odd to me. It doesn't cover his face so it is not a function of covering the actor's face hiding emotion. I just wish he would have had it on more. And why did it not appear when Odin gave him Mjolnir back once he proved himself finally worthy?

No, it isn't like Batman's cowl, most of those who are not in the comics but know him from the comics didn't notice.

Well in the Movie Universe the Helmet represents Thor being a king, and Thor says himself he's not ready to be king yet, and he has alot to learn yet.

I could've done with some more helmety goodness, but it wasn't a big deal. We did at least get the helmet some of the time.

Return of the Thor Helmet beef :funny:

I wouldn't say Thors helmet is like Batman's cowl which is used to protect his identity.

Thors movie helmet has actully be worn by Thor in the comics back in the 90s I think. Someone posted a picture on here a while ago. The movie designers went with the look of that helmet because it would look better in live action than Thors traditonal one

I'm squarely in the no helmet camp myself. I think turning it into a crown was the perfect choice: it's in the movie, but the character doesn't wear it much.

What it comes down to is that superheroes costumes have this problem: they often cover the actor's face, so the actor hardly gets to play the role except when out of costume. That makes the character harder to understand and identify with.

There are different ways of getting around this. WIth Iron Man, for example, you often get these slightly awkward shots of Stark's face inside the helmet. With Spidey, Raimi was always looking for ways to get the mask off if at all possible. Superman, of course, had the advantage that Christopher Reeve got to play the character all the time.

With Thor, it's easy: just lose the helmet. It was the right call imo. It doesn't cover Thor's face entirely, but it would get in the way.

Eh, Thor's helmet didn't cover Thor's face anymore than Loki's did, and Hiddleston still managed to give wonderfully expressive performances with the helmet on. He has the climactic confrontation with Thor with his helmet on, in fact.

Yea I don't think the helm wasn't there because it covered his face. I think it was just an artistic decision to use it as Thor's Crown, rather than an actual battle helmet.

Eh, Thor's helmet didn't cover Thor's face anymore than Loki's did, and Hiddleston still managed to give wonderfully expressive performances with the helmet on. He has the climactic confrontation with Thor with his helmet on, in fact.

Hiddleston is playing the villain, though, so this is less of an issue. Using the helmet as a crown was certainly a good idea, but I'm sure that Hemsworth's appearance with and without helmet was a major factor in the decision, probably the most important one. You want the audience to have the actor's face in their minds when they think of the character, not the actor's face surrounded by a very obtrusive helmet (even though the helmet looks cool enough on its own terms).

Last edited:

Yeah, but Loki was on the throne at the time. Had Thor been on the throne he would have been wearing his helmet. I like the helmets being used as a crown and for ceremonial purposes. To me Thor isn't a superhero at least not on his world. The concept of using a mask/helmet as a piece of a costume doesn't exist. He is just a king on his world and his helmet is the crown.

He's also a warrior, and wearing a helmet is kind of standard operating procedure for a warrior...

I think for aesthetic reasons they wanted to show unrestricted shots of Hemsworth face. I wouldn't really expect them to show him wearing the helmet all the time in asgard.

Yeah, but Loki was on the throne at the time. Had Thor been on the throne he would have been wearing his helmet. I like the helmets being used as a crown and for ceremonial purposes. To me Thor isn't a superhero at least not on his world. The concept of using a mask/helmet as a piece of a costume doesn't exist. He is just a king on his world and his helmet is the crown.

He's also a warrior, and wearing a helmet is kind of standard operating procedure for a warrior...
I think both of these are the reason. :up:

I just hope the helmet gets a lot more screentime in The Avengers.

I could've done with some more helmety goodness, but it wasn't a big deal. We did at least get the helmet some of the time.

"Some of the time??" We only got it once!!! When he was walking into throne room!

Great pointS!!!

"Some of the time??" We only got it once!!! When he was walking into throne room!

That and we didn't get that nice closeup of him setting it down like in the trailer.

I have a good feeling he'll be wearing it in the Avengers though. If he doesn't it won't bother me much since he's still a badass.

Return of the Thor Helmet beef :funny:

I wouldn't say Thors helmet is like Batman's cowl which is used to protect his identity.

Thors movie helmet has actully be worn by Thor in the comics back in the 90s I think. Someone posted a picture on here a while ago. The movie designers went with the look of that helmet because it would look better in live action than Thors traditonal one
heh It's much like Thing's Brow beef. lol

Although that standard operating procedure doesn't involve helmets with handlebars built into the top.

It'll be a great day when fantasy artists finally start taking the piss out of this fantasy helmet idea that they can have solid appendages protruding from the sides. Maybe in The Avengers, Hulk can pick Loki up by the handlebars and shake him, just to point out the absurdity of those things.

Yeah, you can tell I'm quite happy that Thor never went into battle with a neck-snapper stuck on head, eh? :yay:

It won't make any difference. Superheroes still wear capes after The Incredibles, don't they? The glorious ridiculousness of half of everything you see in the superhero genre is a big part of its charm. :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"