The Loki Thread

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Chewy, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

Here's an idea I had for Loki that I suggested over on the Avengers boards:

See, I thought I had a good way for Loki to fit into the story for The Avengers back when Thor was set during the time of the Vikings and ended with [BLACKOUT]Loki hiding out in Midgard[/BLACKOUT]. I figured he could pop up briefly in Iron Man 2, unnamed, maybe as some kind of shady businessman on Justin Hammer's board of directors, or maybe as an associate of Stark's father. And in Captain America, he pops up - again briefly, again unnamed - as an influential Nazi who helps establish the Red Skull.

Just create the sense that Loki has been popping up at various points in history, never looking a day older, messing with the lives of the different Avengers in different ways. Like an evil version of Richard Alpert from Lost.

But I don't think that idea would work anymore, seeing that Thor will now be set in the present, apparently.

2. DarthDaveBanner Registered

A british theatre actor as Loki?
    Match made in heaven. Give him the horns and it'll be perfection.

3. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

Nice idea! I like it a lot.

4. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yeah, that is a really cool idea, Keyser. :up:

5. Project862006 Registered

i am curious how loki will look like in this movie he can easily look very cheesy on film they might go a x men magneto route

6. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I just hope he has the horns. They can make the rest of his costume look more practical or whatever, but I want some absurdly huge horns on his head. We know they can make it work because Tim Curry rocked some awesome horns in Legend.

7. Eros Registered

So Thor and Loki are the only two survivors of Ragnarok, and while loki has been running around free for centuries, Thor awakens from his slumber in the modern day. He awakans as a mortal man, in he early 20s, with no memory of his past, and haveing no powers to speak of [ala marcus wright]. With no power and memories, Thor begins alife a new, and eventually takes the name Donald Blake. As Blake 10 years past, and he becomes a doctor, but nigtmares of epic battles, and godly beings keep him up at nights. This is where the story then begins again, as Blakes new life changes forever, when a mysterous old man[Odin] tells him that he is the mythical god Thor.

8. Project862006 Registered

From IGN.com

9. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

Wow, lots of Shakespearean references!:up: Mark my words: this movie is gonna be awesome.

10. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I like that Idea too. You have to figure He's going to be planning something. He knows Thor won't remain Banished forever.

11. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Thor needs to be alittle Shakespearean. that's the other difference we 616 fans like about Thor.
    There's a hint of shakespear even in the story's other than the Thor speak.

12. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

Good interview with Tom Hiddleston. I too approve of the Shakespeare references!

13. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

"Lean and hungry like Cassius in Julius Caesar." I love it. :up:

14. ArmsHeldOut James K. Delaney

617 lol

15. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

I was just gonna this lol :oldrazz:

16. Lobo Liv is Life

17. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

Yes Lobo thats what we are talking about lol

18. Lobo Liv is Life

I see the Hiddleston part, but not Ashley Miller. I'm just trying to get it everywhere.

19. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

20. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Thor news must be spread like venereal disease!

21. Chewy REDACTED

Thor news > all other news :o

22. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Indeed. Nice avatar, Chewy. :up:

23. Chewy REDACTED

After reading that interview, I went back to look at these new writers' past "feature work" and it is: Agent Cody Banks :cmad:

I haven't seen much of TSCC or any of Fringe but I'm just hoping they've improved over the years

24. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

For reference, here's a character analysis of Edmund from King Lear:

http://www.shmoop.com/character/literature/william-shakespeare/king-lear/edmund.html

The big thing to know about Edmund is that, as Shakespeare repeatedly says, he’s "a bastard." Not only was he born out of wedlock, but he also acts like a jerk from the beginning of the play to the end. He’s one of the first characters we meet, and his father Gloucester goes out of his way to let us know that Edmund is his illegitimate son. Here’s how he introduces his Edmund to a friend: “though this knave came something saucily into the world before he was called for, yet was his mother fair; there was good sport at his making, and the ****eson must be acknowledged.”

Pretty mean. Imagine yourself at a party and your dad says: “Oh, here’s my son, his mom was a ****e, but we had fun together, so here he is.” Would that make you mad? Would it make you want to get even? How about if it happened again and again? The play makes it pretty clear that this is a standard conversation for Edmund and his dad. So the first image in this play is a father smiling and abusing his son, and the son smiles right back, just soaking it up.

But this is Shakespeare, and let’s face it, Edmund’s a villain, and he’s proud of that fact. So of course he has a plan to even the score, to punish both his father and his legitimate brother Edgar. (If you get these two brothers mixed up, just remember the “G” in Edgar for “good” and the “M” in Edmund for “mean” or “malice” or maybe…“misunderstood.”)

There’s no doubt that Edmund has guts and drive, and that’s hard not to admire. As we see in the first scene, Shakespeare makes it clear that he got a bad deal from the start, and it’s hard to blame him for wanting to change his life.

His drive helps him to be incredibly successful – rising in a matter of days from an outcast child to his father’s favorite son, then taking over his father’s position as Earl of Gloucester, and at last coming within reach of ruling the entire kingdom. Edmund is so charming and so good at what he does, it’s sometimes hard not to root for him – even though he betrays his family members, seduces two sisters at the same time, and condemns innocent people to death.

Edmund’s actions are cruel, but it’s not hard to see where the impulse comes from. There’s a lot of evil in Edmund, but Shakespeare has gone out of his way to make that evil plausible, to give us a reason to sympathize with the villain. That sympathy makes it possible to imagine ourselves in his place, and it makes his choices and his eventual downfall all the more moving and disturbing.

And for all of Edmund's cruelty and manipulation, we can't forget that he attempts to save Lear and Cordelia. For the whole play, Edmund boasts about the evil that he does. It would make sense for him to go to the grave triumphant that he managed to have Lear and Cordelia killed even after he’d been defeated by his brother, Edgar. But this isn’t what happens. Instead, he makes an eleventh hour attempt to save them before they’re murdered by one of his soldiers. Edmund admits that this decision is totally out of character. "Some good I mean to do, despite of my own nature," he declares (5.3.241-242).

Edmund’s rescue attempt is only half successful; his confession comes too late to save Cordelia. But his motivation for this sudden change of heart is very unclear. Edmund might be unexpectedly moved by Edgar’s story of his father’s death (5.3.198-199). Alternatively, Edmund’s sudden generosity could be linked to his delight that, perhaps for the first time, someone loves him. Morbidly, this delight is over the deaths of Goneril and Regan, one of whom killed the other for his sake. Looking at their dead bodies, he boasts, "Yet Edmund was beloved" (5.3.247).

If you want to argue about it, you could say that Edmund attempts to save Lear and Cordelia because it is the kingly thing to do. Only a king has the ability to pardon those about to be executed. By attempting to pardon Lear and Cordelia, Edmund symbolically takes on the power of kingship. Edmund, originally just an illegitimate child and a social outcast, dies in command of the kind of power only held by those in the highest position.

And a quote:

EDMUND: Why bastard? wherefore base?
    When my dimensions are as well compact,
    My mind as generous, and my shape as true,
    As honest madam's issue?

#324 Keyser Soze, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
  25. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

I like Fringe alot :up: