The Loki Thread

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Chewy, Jan 10, 2009.

1. bunk superhero fan

Overflowing with two unknowns. :wow:

2. Chewy REDACTED

If they're going young with Odin they may want to consider Robert Pattinson

3. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

Or Zack Efron.

4. Chewy REDACTED

Using advanced CGI technology they could probably cast both

5. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

6. Gallagher Shaman of Sexy

Oh please they're both too old. Dakota Fanning ftw.

7. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

Dakota Fanning is Hela. On a second thought, with a fake beard, it could work. :oldrazz:

8. Gallagher Shaman of Sexy

CGI BEARDS! It shall be done.

9. Balthus Dire Punishment Continues

That guy seems like he'll be a great Loki. So we've got a great Thor and a great Loki....hopefully this awesome casting continues!!

10. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

I'll say this much: casting two unknowns in the two leading roles in a movie as big as Thor shows that Marvel and Branagh must have a lot of faith in the material, and a lot of confidence that the film will be good enough to sell itself.

That said, it's still a risky move. A big part of the appeal of both Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk for me were those impressive ensemble casts. At the time it was the actors that were in fact the main draw of those movies for me, I'd pay to see any movie on the strength of those casts alone. So abandoning that winning formula now is a gamble.

But on the plus side, casting unknowns as Thor and Loki means you have the movie led by two young, hungry talents, who rather than coasting on established greatness, will be motivated to give their all here, and could very well deliver the best performances of their respective (short) careers with their performances in this film.

11. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

I'm with you, Keyser.

12. He-Man Registered

Don't think they need Big names for this movie. With the movie being set in Asgard.....Live Action-Fantasy Movies usually do good at the box office. Not counting the big wigs like LOTR and the Harry Potter movies

Prince Caspian didn't do great in the US but still did $419mil world wide

The Golden Compass did $372mil world wide

Hell even crappy Eragon did $249mil world wide.

With the right story, look, and marketing this movie will be just fine.

13. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Hiddleston looks good for Loki. There's something vaguely creepy about his eyes even in his normal pictures. Imagine how creepy he'll be when he's actually trying. :D

14. bunk superhero fan

I agree. There's also so extra money to be spent on some badass frost giants or something.

Fantasy movies do seem pretty lucrative at the moment. But let's not forget that all of those movies are based off of novels with worldwide popularity.

15. Balthus Dire Punishment Continues

Star Trek had an almost completely unknown primary cast and they did just fine.

16. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

Not really. I at least had heard of all the Enterprise's crew except for Uhura. I hadn't seen Chris Pine or Anton Yelchin act, but had heard of their work in Smokin' Aces and Charlie Bartlett respectively. Zachary Quinto is well-known as Sylar, and Karl Urban was in Lord of the Rings and the Bourne Supremacy. John Cho was Harold in Harold & Kumar and introduced "MILF" into the cultural lexicon in American Pie. And Simon Pegg is like a national hero here in the UK, and has gained a cult US following in the wake of Spaced, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

17. Gallagher Shaman of Sexy

Yes but Star Trek is widely known to the general public, Thor isn't.

18. Balthus Dire Punishment Continues

Maybe Thor as a Marvel character isn't, but the mythology behind Thor I would hope is more well known than Star Trek. But I do see what you mean.

I still don't think the cast is going to matter. I love when they cast unknowns; a good movie sells itself and shouldn't rely on big actors to sell it.

19. cerealkiller182 Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Yea they are definitely not as unknown as most make them out to be, but they are definitely a group of actors you wouldnt think they would entrust with a pricey summer tentpole. To me it proves nothing. I mean Star Trek looked good, already had a cult following, and was getting plenty of good buzz leading up to it that they didnt need the most famous people to market. I dont think there is a trend that works because I feel like I could have said the same thing about Watchmen but that isnt going to be as profitable as Star Trek. There is no sure fire way to go unknown or known other than the fact that if Will Smith or someone like him is doing your movie you will be able to make a little more money than you should, but no way will that equal "instant success"

20. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

Generally speaking, I prefer movies with ensemble casts over movies with actors I'm unfamiliar with. But that said, there's no reason Thor can't succeed with an unknown cast. It all depends on the marketing. If you just focus on selling the character, and the world, then there shouldn't be an issue.

21. cerealkiller182 Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Outside the comic audience they at least have some metalheads and history buffs, I'm sure. As a Marvel summer tentpole piggybacking on Iron Man for the Avengers crossover, I'm sure it will gain some attention.

22. Project862006 Registered

300 made 456MIllion world wide and it was rated r with all no names and was not a hugely popular gn

23. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

i was just about to post this :oldrazz:

24. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

Good point

25. The Avatar Registered

no manips yet?