• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Why did this go straight to DVD?

redhawk23

Wrestlin'
Reaction score
There are some movies, that despite being well made, or have big names involved, or that had a lot of money thrown at them, for whatever reason end up going straight to dvd. These might be legal reasons, or just studio apathy but it hapenns.

What are some movies that you think inexplicably went direct to video or were simply good enough to deserve a theatrical release?

My vote goes to Trick or Treat. I think it is absolutely horrible this film got put on the back burnner by WB, I finally got around to tracking it down and I absolutely loved it. Its one of the the most solid Haloween movies in years and I would have loved to have seen it in theaters.

Another is Unthinkable, which has been discussed on these boards before. The movie had some solid acting. I mean it was somewhat of a smaller film, most of it taking place in one room and probably could work as a play (i probably sound stupid because with my luck it is a play) but I really don't understand how this movie with the actors involved( Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Sheen, Carrie Ann Moss and others) didn't garner a theatrical release.

Thoughts?

Trick R Treat is an awesome movie that should of hit theaters

Trick or Treat would then wind up on the list of awesome films that bombed /

Trick or Treat would then wind up on the list of awesome films that bombed /

What was its budget do you know? if marketed right it could have done well, maybe not though. I'm sure its rated R, but still...

The budget was only 12 million.

yeah i think it could have pulled that.

Also random thing that came to mind, I understand why it was straight to video but a movie I thought was really well done was Open Water 2. I know thats really rediculous, but if you just slap a different name on it, it stops being a needless sequel and is a good film in its own right.

Another is Unthinkable, which has been discussed on these boards before. The movie had some solid acting. I mean it was somewhat of a smaller film, most of it taking place in one room and probably could work as a play (i probably sound stupid because with my luck it is a play) but I really don't understand how this movie with the actors involved( Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Sheen, Carrie Ann Moss and others) didn't garner a theatrical release.

Thoughts?

Its strange, I bought this film yesterday and wondered the exact same thing. Solid acting, very brutal stuff with the torturing.

kinda hard to tell, so many movies i never knew went to theaters but caught later, like equilibrium.

This doesn't really count but the Director's Cut of Daredevil.

Inspector Gadget 2. :o

When I was a kid, I really liked the first one. Then I heard they were making a second!! (I did not know however, know that straight-to-DVD was usually bad though) and I saw a trailer for it! So I was kind of excited. "But shouldn't a sequel like this be in theaters?", I thought. Well, can't wait to see Broderick again! :D

The movie sucked ass. :down

Hell, I know the first movie isn't really the greatest, but it brings back memories and it's enjoyable.

It wasn't straight to DVD, but I think Idiocracy could have sustained a bigger theatrical run than 130 theaters.

It wasn't straight to DVD, but I think Idiocracy could have sustained a bigger theatrical run than 130 theaters.

Not sure about the theatre count but i'll put Outlander in that same group of films that got the shaft when it came to their release.

When I saw the title of this tread I immediately thought Trick r' Treat. I was hyped for Trick r' Treat since I saw the poster in early 07'. Michael Dougherty said it best at a screening as to why it was Direct-to-Video saying "It's not Saw, and it's not a remake."

I really hope they do a sequel to Trick r' Treat. Sam could travel to different towns every year.

I'm still waiting on Jeepers Creepers 3 if that ever comes out but I think that'll be direct to dvd also in 2011.

When I saw the title of this tread I immediately thought Trick r' Treat. I was hyped for Trick r' Treat since I saw the poster in early 07'. Michael Dougherty said it best at a screening as to why it was Direct-to-Video saying "It's not Saw, and it's not a remake."

I really hope they do a sequel to Trick r' Treat. Sam could travel to different towns every year.

I'm still waiting on Jeepers Creepers 3 if that ever comes out but I think that'll be direct to dvd also in 2011.
I have a feeling MGM's troubles are causing Jeepers Creepers to be on hold. That and they haven't done to hot in the dtv market. The second dtv Stargate and Wargames both flopped hard.

I love Trick R Treat . I think they could do a sequel and have it in theatres for next years Halloween.

I saw trick r treat when it came out. It just didnt hit me like it did everyone else. It was just kinda eh to me.

you know what went straight to DVD?

equilibrium.jpg

Most underrated of them all

you know what went straight to DVD?

equilibrium.jpg

Most underrated of them all

It went to theaters...

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=equilibrium.htm

Only 301 theaters on opening weekend and in it's entire run, but it made 1,203,794.

Also Man-Thing should have went to theaters. Now hear me out....it had DOP just as good as Trick R Treat and Man-Thing had a nice soundtrack. Just not a good script. And I don't care for the script for Trick R Treat. Didn't care for the women and what they were and did, didn't care for the kids storyline, only thing I liked about that movie was that it was a bit scary and the DOP/visual directing was pretty good enough to warrant it into a wide release.

Reason why Man-Thing didn't hit theaters was the script got trashed during filming (the writer actually had Man-Thing in comic book form, but somehow he became tree like in the movie. Not only that, I have the prequel comic the screenwriter did and it's better than the movie).

Reason why Trick R TREAT didn't hit theaters...because WB is stupid.

Outlander was solidly decent movie, I liked it alot and I agree.

Equilibrium is just plain crazy, but I lovie it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"