Why exactly does Jean kill Cyclops?

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
You know, I don't recall. It was months ago-!

I think it's because, you know, there are some days you just don't hassle a woman and that was one of those days.

If she couldn't have him, than no one could.

I think it was just to set people up to see what she has become.... that she is not a force to be reckoned with.

War Lord said:
If she couldn't have him, than no one could.

And he was too slow too produce a towel.

"Scott, I've just been underwater for three ****ing years, get me a ****ing towel!"

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
That's one question that's never been answered.

It's been answered indirectly. As Phoenix, she didn't have much control, at least at start, about her homicidal tendencies.

the reason only was a external reason, a studio one, if Scott was her boyfriend, she'd never kill him, the same way she didn't kill Logan.

there isn't a justification of that death. Bad move of the studio, etc.

The three best reasons I've seen so far:

1. Scott squeezes her too hard, makes her to go "EEEK!" and defend herself

2. Scott fired into the lake, which made her mad

3. Jean was pumping him full of her "energy" and unlike Logan, Scott couldn't handle it, so he exploded into nothingness

I kid you not. These are actual reasons I've seen posted :D

But yes, there was no realistic, explainable reason why Jean killed Scott. Or why Jean could have killed the love of her life in cold blood, while he was comforting her and crying into her shoulder. If it seems preposterous and impossible to you, that's because it is. It was an external, studio-influenced reason which had nothing to do with the plot: Jean has turned into the Evil Phoenix Monster [tm] and this was a demonstration to show how evil she is. If she can kill Scott, that means she is so dag-nasty-evil that she can do anything! Of course you don't actually get to see Scott die because that would mean spoiling all the cool, outrageously expensive special effects to be used later in the film. It would be so anti-climactic to waste them on Scott.

Someone also suggested a better title for the music that goes with this scene. It's not "Whirlpool of Love" but should instead be "Whirlpool of EEK!" :)

It was Fox lol,

It was to show how uncotrolable she was, and that becuase of this she didn't know what she was doing so even the cloest person to her she killed and it was to be emotialy shocking as well.

but I'm with Ntcrawler reasons

According to some "comic book fans" Jean and Logan are true love so getting Scott out of the way was necessary.

:rolleyes:

LastSunrise1981 said:
According to some "comic book fans" Jean and Logan are true love so getting Scott out of the way was necessary.

If that's the only way for Jean and Logan to come together, by having Scott conveniently "die", then they can't be true love. If they were true love, Scott wouldn't be seen as an obstacle, now would he? :p

I thought it boiled down to a loss of control on her part.

LastSunrise1981 said:

Yup thats the way Dark Pheonix Saga was translated on the big screen.......

I must point out that Scott isn't dead. :p We never did see his body.

Aside from that, Scott is better off with Emma in the comics than he ever was with Jean. At least Emma doesn't continuously die on him.

ntcrawler said:
The three best reasons I've seen so far:

Someone also suggested a better title for the music that goes with this scene. It's not "Whirlpool of Love" but should instead be "Whirlpool of EEK!" :)

Me? *points to avvy* :p

the a1ant said:
Me? *points to avvy* :p

It's YOU!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!! :)

BTw, I feel sorry for Jean considering your avatar. She's been tossed into the water and drenched for months now like a bobbing toy! You need to get a picture of Jean when she's dry for a change :)

lol :D

I think I found the answer...why Jean kills Scott! Compare her to an insect, like...

Praying Mantids: It is almost legendary that female mantids, kill and consume their mates during copulation [Jean kissing Scott]. This story comes from observations on captive insects which had often been inadequately fed [Jean was probably hungry], according to Drs. Eckehard Liske (Max Planck Institute, Germany) and W. Jackson Davis (University of California, Santa Cruz). The male would indeed appear first as food to a near-starving female [Jean]. Though some females do consume mates in nature, this is not a typical or forgone result of mating attempts.

Maybe she was just hungry? What do you think??? :p

JPJappic said:
I must point out that Scott isn't dead. :p We never did see his body.

Well, yeah. that's why I like to use quotes. Scott is "dead" because Jean "killed" him. You see how much better that sounds now? :)

Aside from that, Scott is better off with Emma in the comics than he ever was with Jean. At least Emma doesn't continuously die on him.

You know, I never thought of it that way, but it does make kinda sense. There is an advantage to having a girlfriend who actually lives. Even Wolverine in Endsong is getting tired of this. He's almost trying to say "hey, look, Jean, can't you at least stay alive for 5 minutes so we can talk over a soda?". I saw Matt Gardner's parody, and it's actually not too far off from the truth!

Scott: "My wife is either all-powerful, evil, or dead. I just can't take it anymore!"

Mike059jig said:
Yup thats the way Dark Pheonix Saga was translated on the big screen.......

I was actually quoting it from someone who actually said that on this board too. :) Sad isn't it?

But yes, unfortunately they tried to make it seem like Logan/Jean were and are true love. Too bad it didn't go the way they anticipated. Actually, that isn't too bad for them. If anything it's good for them that way they know not to try that same stupid **** again.

It was because of the Dark Phoenix's uncontrollable powers. That's why Jean said "Kill me before I kill someone else." She knew, deep inside, that she was uncontrollable. Which provided evident when she killed Xavier and then hundreds of soldiers and mutants at the end.

Seen said:
It was because of the Dark Phoenix's uncontrollable powers. That's why Jean said "Kill me before I kill someone else." She knew, deep inside, that she was uncontrollable. Which provided evident when she killed Xavier and then hundreds of soldiers and mutants at the end.

That's what they WANT us to think: a terrible tragedy about a person who became so powerful she didn't know what to do with herself.

But we know the real reasons now.

^Well, that was the case in the movie, any other external factor doesn't exactly count in terms of how someone views the material presented...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"