Arrow Why is WB afraid of a seperate universe?

Well its been revealed that the embargoes for characters has been extended not just for Bats, Super and WW but for Ted Kord as well. So it makes me really wonder about the Flash?
-Yeah, I really want to know who has plans for Ted Kord. Because if he can't be on TV, then they had sure better have big plans for him at the movies.

Last edited:
I think The CW can easily create a third and forth show and keep it as one giant CW-verse.

Plus, I like the idea that who we've got already can form the Justice Society... Save the Justice League for the big screen.

Green Arrow
The Flash
Arsenal
Black Canary
Huntress
The Atom
Firestorm

That is a DAMN good JSA.

^I would love a CW-verse.

They should give Hawkgirl her own show! She and Hawkman are definitely needed to finish out the JSA!

Well its been revealed that the embargoes for characters has been extended not just for Bats, Super and WW but for Ted Kord as well. So it makes me really wonder about the Flash?

That boggles my mind. How is Flash okay, and he definitely has a movie announced, but Ted Kord is not okay, and whatever plans they have for him make him unavailable? That's weird... part of the story there is missing. Maybe they're not using Barry in the movie or something? I dunno...

Each version wants to be the definitive version. By having multiple versions you will undermine another and divide your fan-base.

Each version wants to be the definitive version. By having multiple versions you will undermine another and divide your fan-base.
That's BS.

SMH.

We're getting a full on DC movie universe and a full on DC tv universe (without Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman)

what the **** people, how are you not excited about this? I want two different universes. Film and TV are completely different mediums, connecting the two would be stupid, and the tv side would look out of place.

That's BS.

SMH.

We're getting a full on DC movie universe and a full on DC tv universe (without Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman)

what the **** people, how are you not excited about this? I want two different universes. Film and TV are completely different mediums, connecting the two would be stupid, and the tv side would look out of place.

It's not BS. What would happen if tomorrow they announced a new actor playing Barry Allen/ The Flash in Justice League? All of a sudden people would stop caring about Grant Gustin and his Barry Allen would get undermined by the big budget movie version. As I and several posters have said, it creates a weird internal competition within your own brand. How would Stephen Amell feel if they announced a Green Arrow movie tomorrow with an entirely different actor and continuity that has nothing to do with the show?

But I do agree, tv and film should be separate, I don't want the film-verse restricting the tv universe and they are doing so good without it. I am definitely pro- two separate universes, but two separate interpretations of the same character? I can't see that working.

Last edited:
Except any day now they will announce a Barry Allen in the Justice League... and the world won't explode...

the film version doesn't immediately invalidate the tv version...:dry:

Tv and movies are two completely different mediums, they're not going after the same exact market. Films will naturally attract more audiences than the CW, all the CW has to do to make their version of Flash successful is put out a great series that can appeal to the already existing fans of the successful Arrow.

We're not getting a Flash solo movie series any time soon, and that really helps the Flash tv series. People will see and like The Flash in the BvS or JL movie, and they will want to see more of the character, which would lead them to the Flash tv series. If they actually like the Flash character they'll probably be able to get into a different interpretation. I really think the movie Flash and tv Flash will help each other out.

Two separate versions of the same character can exist at the same time without being in competition with each other. If the Flash was in a successful solo movie series your point would make a tiny bit more sense, but still they wouldn't really be competing..

Last edited:
I dunno, I respectfully disagree. The ONLY reason Tom Welling and Brandon Routh were able to co-exist was because they were playing two different eras on Superman ( young pre-superman and adult fully formed superman). If they were to make the film Barry Allen a much older version then MAYYYBE i could see it working. Otherwise, yes, your putting the two actors in competition with each other and thus starting endless nonsensical debates about "who is better?" And most likely the film version would eclipse the tv version.

The other obvious way around this is to cast a different Flash aka Wally West. Or, what if, just what if, Warner isnt planning on using The Flash at all in Justice league? Think about it. Obviously before the Flash tv show was greenlit the producers had to get approval from the top people at WB/DC and make sure that the character was available to use. The fact that they actually greenlit a Flash tv show indicates that they may not even have any immediate movie plans for him so they might as well put him on tv.

Just a thought..

Just... no.

Viewpoints like yours are why we can't get Batman and Superman in Arrow. If i had it my way, there would be two full on DC universes, one on tv one on the big screen. With Batman, WW and Superman in both. The tv universe would focus primarily on the smaller characters, while the trinity could be the focus of the movies

But you and I both know I'm right. If there were two separate Batmans and Supermans and Wonder Womans and Flashes then there would be endless debates amongst the fan base as to who is the better one and how one should replace the other one and so on and so forth. Honestly, I think it's just the way Hollywood is built when actors are cast as these iconic characters. Once they're cast and assuming they play the role well and people gravitate towards them, they ARE the embodiment of their role for however long they have it. Christian Bale WAS Batman and no one else was allowed to be Batman during his time. Christopher Reeve WAS Superman and no one else was allowed to be him while he was Superman. Its how Hollywood wants it and its how the people want it. They want one definitive version at a time. You can't deny, man, that if Chris Pine was cast as Barry Allen/ Flash tomorrow then that would seriously take the wind of out of Grant Gustin's sails, especially since his show hasn't even started yet!

Now, to be fair, one could make the argument in the case of Sherlock Holmes who currently has, like, 3 different interpretations of him in tv and film simultaneously. The difference, I think, between Sherlock and Batman or Superman or the Flash is that Sherlock is a very malleable character and you can have multiple very, VERY different interpretations of the character to the point where its pretty much "Sherlock" in name only. I don't this kind of multiplicity could work with mainstream superheroes in this day and age.

Last edited:
There's so many different ways they can take it.

-No Flash, at least while the show is going on (though who knows if the show makes it to 2017). I also wonder if WB sees Shazam as the more marketable equivalent for the big-screen (though apparently that might not be in the JLverse either).

-Wally West.

-Barry Allen (we did have two iconic Lex Luthors at the same time after all. Both bald. Both baddies).

Usually they don't want a character who can carry his/her own movie to appear in a TV show because the belief is that you're less likely to spend money to see something in theatres when you already see it for free on TV. But they might not have any plans for a Flash solo movie (at least while the show is going on), so they might not see any downside in having a Flash in the JL movie. He's not the main selling point.

You also have to remember that the 'fan base' of these shows is tiny. A portion of ~3 million viewers (out of ~100 million film viewers) will debate. So what? Most of them will see the movie regardless.

I'd ultimately be fine with anything. The Flash show already looks like it's going to be giving me my Flash/Barry Allen fix pretty faithfully.

Last edited:
So I hear the show is apparently teasing some kind of Crisis event. Might be a back door if they ever want to unite the films and TV. For it's flaws, Agents of SHIELD connects with the movies just fine.

I don't know if I'm on board with this statement 100%, but I understand and am on board with the sentiment behind it.
Having two versions of the same character, one in TV form and one on the big screen, seems counter-intuitive. It strikes me as completely unnecessary; viewing an interconnected continuity between mediums as a hindrance instead of an asset is a completely wrongheaded way to view things. Look how much better agents of SHIELD got after the fallout of Captain America 2. That show was teetering on bland and inconsequential to a lot of fans, but once SHIELD disbanded new life was reinvigorated into the program. That sort of synergy greatly benefited the show; with the right care, DC could easily do the same. Yet they won't.

^Well that might be true...but the last thing I would want is for it to look like, if I was running DC, was that we were trying to bite off Marvel...DC maybe trying a different approach...we'll have to see if it works or not. Ultimately, I'm just glad DC is getting more of a television presence.

Okay. What percentage of the movie going audience WORLDWIDE watch the TV shows? Let's say 40%. So you expect movie goers WORLDWIDE to be onboard to what's happening in the tv shows? That's ludicrous!

You just have to accept that fanboys like us are in the minority. Just because we discuss things here doesn't mean we're the majority. It's exactly the opposite! Just be thankful we're at the point where its actually happening.

And they will make a very big distinction between mediums. Budget alone will take care of that. Even if storywise TV tells a better story because its episodic, movies will be bigger in scale and reach more people worldwide.

I just can't believe people are STILL concerned with this. Just be happy we're getting these properties made into live action. This is the Golden Age for DC people, quit bellyaching. Man the ***** up!

Rumors of TV shows for Green Arrow and The Flash and Warner Brothers fast tracking a JL movie led me to think that DC was taking a very unique approaching for creating its own connected universe. Greenlight solo films for the Trinity, add supporting cast from the TV shows and BAM! A Justice League film comprised of previously introduced characters done in less time than Marvel's 5 year Phase 1. Oh well.

Putting barriers between your TV and film universes seems wildly outdated given the way people consume entertainment, especially in light of what Marvel has been doing. And it is completely unnecessary given that there's no reason why Arrow and The Flash can't connect with DC proper with a minimal amount of effort.

Linking AOS to the MCU was at times quite bad during season 1 - too many awkward superhero references, too much filler while waiting for the events of CA:TWS - but when it worked it was wonderful. The Sif episode gave a showcase to a underused background character and introduced a great new character in Lorelei. Maria Hill and Jasper Sitwell moving smoothly between big and small screen was very well done. And dark shades wearing Nick Fury pulling Simmons out of the drink in the finale? Perfection.

TV ratings are down. Movie going is down. Marvel Studios has shown that connectivity between properties can lift all the boats. Someone at Warner Brothers should have read the memo.

Its a catch 22. One the one hand I dream of seeing Stephen Amell's Green Arrow go toe-to-toe with Affleck's Batman but on the other I really like how Arrow and Flash are in their own separate universe with their own rules and nothing to restrict them. Sigh...

Putting barriers between your TV and film universes seems wildly outdated given the way people consume entertainment, especially in light of what Marvel has been doing. And it is completely unnecessary given that there's no reason why Arrow and The Flash can't connect with DC proper with a minimal amount of effort.

TV ratings are down. Movie going is down. Marvel Studios has shown that connectivity between properties can lift all the boats. Someone at Warner Brothers should have read the memo.

They read the memo, and then they asked the makers of Arrow: "Do you want to work for Snyder and Goyer, to do the storylines they say, and avoid the storylines they say not to use." And what did they say? "Yes, we want to play Jed Whedon to Joss Whedon, thank you..."

Then they turned around and asked the BvS team: "Would you like to manage a TV universe as well?" What do you think they said?

The amount of effort necessary to link an ambitious show like Arrow or Flash to the DCCU is tremendous. Any benefits in terms of marketing are dramatically outweighed by complications of management and creating synergy between stories that are managed by different people working on different scales entirely.

Honestly, I think it's best for both entities to remain separate from each other.

Neither "Arrow" or "Flash" were created with the intent of being involved with the Cinematic universe. To "shove" both of those shows into the DCU would feel very forced imho.

Plus, there's the fact that with characters like the Flash....given the CW Budget and such, the difference in quality when it comes to producing his effects on television and on film would be very noticeable imho.

Agreed.

Not to mention, I'm sure Warner Bros and others would prefer casting a lot of the major DC roles (heroes and villains) with very big names, the kind of which you wouldn't get to see on the television series.

I'm pretty sure that the Cinematic universe can find a much better actress to play Amanda Waller for example and I think Warner Bros and those involved would prefer getting a great film star for the role of Ra's, who's most likely going to appear in Arrow at some point, portrayed by someone less famous.

Disagreed.

Casting actors based on their fame level is unnecessary. You don't need to know who an actor is on name basis for it to be a good or be successful. I want to see the character, not a movie star.

I think he's referring too a scenario like this -

Henry Cavill is superman - in the movies.

Whose to say we couldn't have someone else play superman in arrow in a seperate universe outside of man of steel. e.g. they aren't the same superman.

And I have a hard time, because I don't want to see a billion batmans or supermans in every single sort of media. I like having the one or two, however it is frustrating knowing we don't see arrow's interpretation of batman or anything.

Yep. You got it.

DC should not have two seperate series........I guess people might think that Stephen Amell won't be able to match Affleck and Cavail?

Honestly how much connection between the two properties could just be throwaway lines? Think of all the comics that had a reasonably cohesive continuity between 1987 to 2011.

Is the throwaway line going to explain how aliens threatened to destroy the Earth? Is it going to explain why Superman didn't fight a horde of super strong people killing civilians in a city?

"Aliens threatened to destroy Earth" "Yep they sure did."

"Hey Supes, why didn't you help me take down Deathstroke's super soldiers?" "Eh, yolo"

While I believe that they should, and will, some day merge, I'm fine with the CWverse staying separate.

The CWverse it the perfect place for them to use the B list and C list characters that are good, but might otherwise not get a film of their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"