Why the Hate for this Movie?

i double agree. i mean, they killed cyclops for god's sake. they should burn in hell for that one!

Its the same horrible company so dont be shocked if anything just as extreme takes place.

i hope not SatEL. i'd be extremely upset. i cant wait to discuss the movie with everyone after they see it.

I really hope Goku dies in the third part if they reach there, and end the trilogy for good there (Goku dying as the legendary super saiyan, avenging his people against Frieza, etc). It would be epic. I know this isnt the sequels thread, I was just pointing this out.

IMO this movie looks alot more faithful than X-Men...

I don't know enough about X-Men to comment.

However, I have read Watchmen a few times, and I can tell just by watching this video that there weren't as many liberties taken as with DB.
I know that they somewhat changed the ending (no giant creature), but I don't think they changed much more than that other than altering the costumes to a more "updated" look.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU02FSndbLY[/YT]

Compare that to the DB: Evo trailer and the difference is plain as day.

Last edited:
IMO this movie looks alot more faithful than X-Men...
From what I've seen and now heard from the actual script, I can say as a big X-fan that this film is a lot more faithful than X1, 2, and 3.

aside from Krillin not being in the movie and the whole high school aspect, i really don't have a problem with the level of faithfulness from a plot/story perspective. they seem to be taking enough from the cartoon to be able to avoid being labeled as 'DBINO'....which is a good thing i suppose.

my problems with this film aren't so much that there were changes made. every adaptation needs changes. i just don't think the changes that were made were necessary or in good taste. it's clear to me that most of the changes made aren't so much to reinforce the ideals from the anime/manga, but were done because of limitations.....and that all stems back to Fox's mishandling of the production.

That's because things which may seems small when considered in isolation - colour palettes, character designs, camera angles, mannerisms, even aspect ratios - these things considered together define a film, and changing even one can cause it to be interpreted entirely differently. And in this case, there's another dimension to be considered as well; the transition from animation to live-action. Even in Dragonball were to be transferred, frame for frame, to live-action, the result would still be very different because of the difference between the two media. Animation inherently lends itself to antirealism and anti-naturalism, whereas in live-action, fantastical elements draw attention to themselves, are more the centre of attention than a sideshow. To portray fantastical scenes in live-action as whimsically as they are in Dragonball wouldn't be responsible filmmaking, and as such, to survive the transition there are some elements which have to be changed. Either way, the final product cannot and will not be approached or watched in the same mindset the same way Dragonball: The Anime would be.

aside from Krillin not being in the movie and the whole high school aspect, i really don't have a problem with the level of faithfulness from a plot/story perspective. they seem to be taking enough from the cartoon to be able to avoid being labeled as 'DBINO'....which is a good thing i suppose.

my problems with this film aren't so much that there were changes made. every adaptation needs changes. i just don't think the changes that were made were necessary or in good taste. it's clear to me that most of the changes made aren't so much to reinforce the ideals from the anime/manga, but were done because of limitations.....and that all stems back to Fox's mishandling of the production.

Yes, I see where you're coming from. Fox is actually my only real fear where this movie is concerned. I've seen and read enough to trust the people involved to know that they all care about the source material and about the film they are making. However, Fox can easily ruin that.

My fear is that my reason for not liking this film will because of some editing or rating issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"