G.I. Joe Movie Cobra Commander AKA The Doctor

Its basically a bait and switch ala a comic book movie that came out in 2005 that had everyone going for a little while before the script leak blew the lid off it.

Which movie are you referring to?

So basically it looks like they just combined Cobra Commander and Doctor Mindbender. Bleh.

Which movie are you referring to?

Batman Begins- the way Liam Neeson was referred to as "Ducard" in the press and Ken Watanabe was referred to as R'as al Ghul.

And I think El Mayimbe from Latino Review is responsible for these things getting out- every script he's ever reviewed has leaked not long after, and the fact that he offered to sell me a script he'd reviewed after I asked him a question about it kind of shows why.

And for the record, I don't like what they've done with the character in this movie, because they did the one thing that any version of GI Joe has never done: revealed his name. They've shown his face completely unmasked, revealed most of his history leading up to the formation of Cobra, shown his family, but they never revealed his name. Even though Billy and Snake-Eyes (assuming he didn't give SE an alias when the two were travelling together) would logically know his name, they avoided us, the audience, hearing it.

Cobra Commander's uniform is essentially a blue military uniform with the only insignia being a Cobra on the front. He wear a hood over his face or a blue ski mask- there's nothing comical about that.

Cobra is essentially a militia for disenfranchised American citizens that reached a cult-like fever pitch. That seems pretty credible to me.

Look at how Cobra formed in the GI Joe Reloaded series. They do it so that you can believe how such an organization could form without mind control and mad scientists.

Yeah I really don't think they're going for believability here. The GI Joe Reloaded stuff sounds pretty sweet; though I have to admit I've never read it. I dig the looks of most of the characters in that series.

The GI JOE Reloaded book didn't sell very well though and it was cancelled after about 12 issues.

The GI JOE Reloaded book didn't sell very well though and it was cancelled after about 12 issues.

What does that have to do with anything? I was commenting on how it made Cobra plausible without drastically altering any of the characters.

Just saying. It was a decent little re-origin-izing of everybody without going the route that the movie apparently has.

But it still sold poorly. I think fans still preferred the Hama created storyline.

Once again Hollywood getting overly creative with things that already work.

I am just growing tired of this "They're saving "it" for the sequel!" logic.

It seems quite pompous to me. What if there is no sequel? There's a significant possibility this movie will tank, leaving us only with "The Rise of Cobra" and...no Cobra.

I don't care that much about Joe, so I'm not that worried. It's just something I'm tired of hearing. Like the talk of "You'll see Galactus in the Surfer movie, don't worry." Well, I'm betting there's not gonna be a SS movie after all, and I wasted $9.00 watching the terrible FF2.

100% agreement.

I'm still surprised at how much they screwed his mask up. I think his best appearance was with a hood. How hard is it to design a hood that looks good on camera? Come on!

The actress is smokin' hot......
Gijoe End of Peace-Forsakenfilmz.net
CobraBaronessBG2web1.jpg

I'm still surprised at how much they screwed his mask up. I think his best appearance was with a hood. How hard is it to design a hood that looks good on camera? Come on!

I thought he looked great as the doctor, not so much when he put the fishbowl on.

As for a hood, I read they didn't like the KKK-like aspect of it. Ah well. I'm not too concerned because if there's a next movie, they'll just redesign it anyway because they need to sell more toys.

IMO, Joseph Gordon-Levitt did a great job playing CC as is written in his filecard, as "A an without scruples. Probably the most dangerous man alive!"

I actually would've preferred if CC in this movie kept his "Doctor" costume, because at least that was less stupid than his ridiculous clear-plastic body suit. Good Lord.

And for the record, I don't like what they've done with the character in this movie, because they did the one thing that any version of GI Joe has never done: revealed his name. They've shown his face completely unmasked, revealed most of his history leading up to the formation of Cobra, shown his family, but they never revealed his name.

Marvel Issue #5, Destro and CC are pulled over by a cop. The cop remarks that there is someone with the same last name in the hospital, his son, Billy Lewis. We know his last name and the film got that right.

Like someone else said before, think of this as a new universe in the G.I. Joe mythios.(sp?) Its new,fresh, a little different, but they still have alot of the original interpretations.

Something like this world could do it and expand upon everything. And plus it's modern american and the world in general. It would be boring to only stay to the source material and cartoons. Think more outside the box and do some original stuff as well.

Here's a pic I have of the Doctor. Small, but cool.

doctor.jpg

Last edited:
What makes me laugh is the ignorance of some people, with the exception of those who know that The Doctor does not become Gobra Commander untill the end of the film. The film is called "The Rise of Cobra" meaning it tells how Cobra got started. Think back to Cobra Commanders origin in the 1986 animated movie, what was he before?

Did someone say Scientist?

That's right. Cobra Commander was a scientist who was disfigured. But wait, The Doctor in this new movie, who becomes Cobra Commander was also disfigured. How dare they change the story like that, those bastards.

Hold on a mo, that sounds very simlar. The only thing that appears to have changed is how he becomes disfigured. Now I'm confused, why are people complaining again?

To quote a line from the Simpsons episode "A tale of two Springfeilds"

"Your complaints are laughable and your fears moronic"

I thought his masked look quite good. Ok, yea its not the same as the cartoon but some things had to be taken into account. Like the importance of the actor being able to breathe for one. Hence the addition of the gasmask-like air vents. If it were all one peice like the cartoon Joseph Gordon-Lewit would've suffocated.

Fyi, I am aware that numberous fans have attempted to make accurate Cobra Commander masks like the animated version. But those are not as tightly fit as his mask actually is. So they all end up looking like they're wearing stylish motorcycle helmets. And that would look even more stupid in the film than the new version of the mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"